Engagement Ring Sizing

I would love some input from people who can give me some insight on this rather inane topic which is causing me a little concern right now!

My engagement ring was waaay too big, so we had it re-sized to a size 6 1/2.

I am not sure whether my hands were a little warm on the day i took it for resizing but when I got it back it felt a little bit loose (ie slips quite easily over the knuckle) The day I got it back was freezing though and my hands were really cold.

I have since worn it for a week and doing all the things I normally do, work (taking gloves on and off all day) go to the gym, etc etc.

It seems to be OK first things in the morning and when I am warm, however it loosens up during the day, and then gets tight again when I go to the gym etc.

I am worried that if I get it sized down 1/2 a size it will be too tight when my hands are warm and during the summer and if I get pregnant.

However sometimes it feels loose enough that I could lose it, which I really don't want to happen.

Any thoughts?

Take it to a jeweler. I know they have these metal bands that sit inside your ring - they're a half-circle shape, flexible and springy, and slightly smaller than your ring. So you can get it over your knuckle, and if your finger shrinks, it can tighten around your finger. And likewise, if it expands, the band gets pushed out of the way.

Gosh, I can't remember what they're called, but go to a jeweler and tell them your problem. They should be able to help you.

sb, don't worry about resizing it 1/2 size, as long as it can be removed over your knuckle without too much effort. Try this as a test. Wash your hands in cold water and leave the soap on, on your ring finger. If, with a hard shake, the ring comes off your finger, get it resized immediately.

What you will find over time is that your ring will cause your finger to get smaller. Odd but true.

When you get pregnant and it's too tight, it's also an interim situation where you can again, either have it resized larger or wait until six months after you've had the baby, to see if it needs to be resized.

• Author
sb, don't worry about resizing it 1/2 size, as long as it can be removed over your knuckle without too much effort. Try this as a test. Wash your hands in cold water and leave the soap on, on your ring finger. If, with a hard shake, the ring comes off your finger, get it resized immediately.

What you will find over time is that your ring will cause your finger to get smaller. Odd but true.

When you get pregnant and it's too tight, it's also an interim situation where you can again, either have it resized larger or wait until six months after you've had the baby, to see if it needs to be resized.

It comes off if I do that test. I don't WANT to get it resized because that means going without if for a week! :mad: Better than losing it though I guess.

I have heard of those things that Aloros mentioned.... I wish I knew what they were called too.

The problem with using an existing ring is I have never worn anything on that finger, and the finger on the RIGHT hand is bigger, since its my working hand.

I don't WANT to get it resized because that means going without if for a week! :mad:

Come on, you'll be okay without it for a week. You might get the shakes for a few days but you'll survive. :laugh:

I have heard of those things that Aloros mentioned.... I wish I knew what they were called too.

With all due respect, those things don't enhance the aesthetics of the ring. While you can't see it from the outside, you can see them if your hand is open, palm up. Also, those things trap dirt.

I damn near lost my engagement ring once because it was too big.

The ring flew off my finger when I lifted my arm to return a passionate hug. As my fiance (now husband) saw the ring fly by the side of his head, the whole world slowed down to a crawl!

I had barely noticed the ring slip from my finger, but when I saw my fiance opening his mouth in a silent, desperate cry, scrambling to catch the flying ring that was going directly towards an elevator with a seemingly Grand-Canyon-sized crack at the bottom, I knew if the ring fell in the elevator shaft, we weren't getting it back. Thankfully, he caught it, then he put it on my thumb and half an hour later we were at a jewelry store getting it resized.

Morale of the story, you'd rather have to resize it again later on than lose such a precious item and risk giving your fiance a heart attack in the process. :)

-E

• Author

Yes you are right. I would rather live without it for a week than lose it.

Wonderboy would be devastated if I lost it. As would I!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I would just like to report that I got the ring back from Tiffany today and it fits perfectly.

Thank you for all your suggestions.!

• Author

Oh AND I got my wedding dress today. YAY!

I know its early, but it was a bargain I couldn't pass up.

Beautiful dress, costs £750 new, got it from a lady who has since had a baby and can't fit it- still has tags on and cost £250. Woo HOO! :bunny: