A Double Wedding???

PerfectLee

My girlfriend & I have been together for 3 years, and we recently became engaged. We're probably going to be married in less than 2 years, when finances are better. She mentioned to me as a suggestion (some of her co-workers made the suggestion) that we have a double wedding with her brother when he gets married. It would save on costs.

Am I selfish in thinking that our wedding day should be OUR wedding day? Has anyone here ever had a double wedding? Or know how that would work?

I know I have heard of 'double wedding' and some that have gone through that did it because their financial situation did not permit them to have a single wedding. I don't think you're selfish for wanting to have your OWN single wedding but if both parties are really tight with their budget then I don't see doing it any other way? I could be wrong...

If you guys are set on having a big wedding and money is tight, it might be something to consider. It could end up being a super fun reception, especially if you guys happen to have some mutual friends.:D

However, if you are REALLY concerned about having your own day, then I think you have to go with that.

I can't say that I would want to do it either, personally.

I've always wanted to have a double wedding. Imagine sharing this day with your loved ones, in that you're both entering into a new phase into your lives. Double the fun!! :)

Double wedding shouldn't be too bad if money is tight. If I ever had problems with money, I would opt for that seeing that my siblings are tight with each other so we would not hesitate to do it! But that is it.. only IF money is the issue.

My girlfriend & I have been together for 3 years, and we recently became engaged. We're probably going to be married in less than 2 years, when finances are better. She mentioned to me as a suggestion (some of her co-workers made the suggestion) that we have a double wedding with her brother when he gets married. It would save on costs.

Am I selfish in thinking that our wedding day should be OUR wedding day? Has anyone here ever had a double wedding? Or know how that would work?

If you have reservations about having a double wedding, you should express them to your fiance. It is as much your wedding as it is hers.

yuck... double wedding?

I don't like the sound of that. It should be YOUR day. I'd definitely talk to the girlfriend and try to compromise.

No offense, but it just doesn't sound like a good idea.

KenzieAbsolutely

i think it sounds like a horrible idea, unless it's totally necessary with absolutely NO other options (which is unlikely) or you are totally into and love the idea.

otherwise, don't do it. it's tacky anyway, and it should be your day, not a shared event. it's not a birthday party.

• Author

I appreciate all of your points of view, it helped me see all sides. What I forgot to mention though is that her brother doesn't even have a girlfriend yet, let alone about to get married. I guess that was crucial, but evenso, if and when he does get married (He's 30 yrs old) they spoke about having a double wedding for cost reasons, and yes...a HUGE PARTY reason!

The real question here is what do I want? Not to sound selfish, but isn't it every girl's dream to have a splendid, perfect wedding? Afterall...it's a day for the couple to celebrate their relationship, their union, their love. Right? It's not a birthday party like KenzieAbsolutely said. My girlfriend is worried about the money part because she's into flipping houses and with the way the market is now (California) who knows if we'll get any profit short-term.