When should be the proper time to set up the wedding date?

tontitadeamor

tontitadeamor

Me and my fiancee will celebrate our first engagement anniversary on Feb 14th and still we haven't set any day for the wedding. why? we decided to take things slower bc we are both working to pay off for the wedding ( my parents cannot help that much) and i have still to move to the US which is not easy to do (getting the fiance visa) and plus the fact of moving to another country it requires for me to take some money with me. also my fiance wants a big wedding celebration (i want that too) hes family is HUGE and so is mine (even is not all of my family will be attending) and also the fact of living in a new house, it requires responsibility of payments and all that.

so what do you recommend me?:p

I would recommend that you not set a date until after you're a little more financially solvent and have spent some serious time together physically within the same location.

The problem is, once you get your visa you have (I think) 6 months to use it, and once you have entered the US you have only 3 months to get married, or you'll have to go home.

When are you expecting to get the visa? If, for example, you were to get it at the end of February, you could come to the US in April, and get married in June, that way you'd have been with him for a couple of months before, and still have a month to file the necessary paperwork to USCIS so that you can stay.

As for the money issue, could you not have a very small wedding with just close family, and have a blessing in a couple of years when you have saved up money - then you could invite the entire family to the blessing and have a huge celebration, but you wouldn't have to risk your visa expiring in the process.

IMO, it's more important that you have money to live off, than it is to have a big wedding. since you won't be able to work for a few months after moving to the US. If you really want to be together you might have to make some sacrifices to get there. (also bear in mind that once you're married you'll have to pay $1010 to adjust your status to conditional permanent resident - a lovely surprise my husband and I were unaware of until just before our wedding!).

• Author
tontitadeamor

$1010??? OMG THATS SOO EXPENSIVE! and yes, we are more worry about the fact of saving money to live off.... things are not that easy but complicated every time more! I cant believe it!

Yeah, it's ridiculous how much the whole process costs, as if organising a wedding isn't complicated enough!

Other hidden costs (that I can remember) include having to pay $100 at your interview at the US embassy, having to pay 195 GBP for a medical exam (which would be around $400), and all those lovely things like travel to interviews and plane tickets. We got a lawyer, another extra cost, and I have ended up spending more on immigration than we did on the wedding. Unfortunately, there's no getting around these things :( but it's worth it in the end.