talkative female friend online, not in person?

Anyway i got together with some old friends tonight and we hung out, old friends being 2 girls and 1 guy. havent spoken to any of them in awhile. The girls brought their bf's.

But this particular female friend which im somewhat pretty close with, is almost anti-social in person. the whole time all she did was smile or talk to her bf. the odd thing today was she was passing me smiling gazes once in awhile.

I dont believe the reason was that her bf was there, same anti-social behavior happened last winter on a get-together, when it was just us friends and no outsiders.

and online we usually have pretty smooth convo's going. even better when she realized i was in the major & school she was planning to transfer into.

i knew her since j.h.s. and i think she's always been shy in person...but i dont trust my rusty memory. but one thing i know for sure she used to like me before we wound up just friends.

any thoughts?

magichands
But this particular female friend which im somewhat pretty close with,

Somewhat pretty close? Sounds like you really know what makes her tick.

Ummm... what was your question again?

• Author
Somewhat pretty close? Sounds like you really know what makes her tick.

Ummm... what was your question again?

maybe, i know her well enough to be best friends. Although people dont change much and i havent spoken/hung out with her for the past few years at all really. however i can always count on her to pick up and talk if i never need to.

my question was why she's anti-social in person and sociable online...

but thinking about it, it seems pretty normal being non-talkative for her also around the other friends

magichands

People never get when I'm being sarcastic. I guess I should use those emotwhatsits more.

So, let me get this straight. You are practically best friends with this girl, but the majority of your relationship has been online?

What do you talk about face to face - if anything?!

• Author

So, let me get this straight. You are practically best friends with this girl, but the majority of your relationship has been online?

What do you talk about face to face - if anything?!

not at all. i was pretty good friends, hung out, spoke on the phone, chatted online back several years as teenagers for a few years. and the last 4-6 yrs we lost contact.

only recently last winter she got in touch with me online, and invited me for a get together with friends. that time she barely/rarely spoke to me at all in person. just last week i spoke to her online and we had a smooth convo going like old times and i initiated an all friends get together...again today in person she only said like a word or 2 to me.

so face to face = nothing.

magichands

Don't jump to conclusions (like me), but is it possible that someone is strongly discouraging her from talking (as in, the normal face to face kind) to people?

For example, her boyfriend. Abuse?

A completely wild guess. (And this time I'm not being sarcastic... it is a completely wild guess.)

• Author

thanks for the reply, i doubt thats it. i met him yestrday he seemed alright. Although it seems her wardrobe has changed into the goth scene to match the bf, she's still the same person.

if memory serves right, thinking back im almost certain she's always been like that.

justagirliegirl

Maybe she is just really shy.

I have an online friend that I met in real life and I just don't like them in real life but like to talk to them online.

some people are just more comfortable talking using written word, than using their voice.

i'd say that she's just shy, and doesn't really know what to say when having a real conversation with someone. When talking online you have more time to think about what you're about to say, where in person you sorta have to think on your toes and you don't have time to stop and think about what you're about to say