stoic man: addiction and emotions... how far is the higher ground?

this sounds like a trick question on a psychology test.

I'd answer it this way.....

If you're wondering if you loving someone will cure their depression and drug use....then don't hold your breath.

good luck

Nothingtolose
this sounds like a trick question on a psychology test.

I'd answer it this way.....

If you're wondering if you loving someone will cure their depression and drug use....then don't hold your breath.

good luck

I second this 100%. Please read my threads - I ended a 3 year relationship (4.5 year history in total) 2 months ago with his addictions being at the top of the reasons list. He's a recovered user of harder drugs (has been for 10+ years) and is a pothead and also drinks a lot...smoking weed and drinking occurs on a nightly basis.

It impacted his life a lot (career, health, motivation, energy, empathy etc) and our relationship too, massively. He's had ongoing depression for years and covers it up with substance abuse instead of dealing with his emotions/seeking counselling. He made many promises to start counselling, cut back on the weed/booze throughout our relationship, and never followed through. In the end, he basically chose the addictions over me and I walked away. It still hurts all the time as it's only been 2 months, but I have no doubt I made the right decision.

Even if his use is occasional, it has the potential to get worse if he's not willing to face his depression and seek help. Unless he is willing to work on his mental health instead of resorting to drugs, you should walk away now. It will save you a lot of heartache in the long run.

Edited by Nothingtolose