Matching / fixing up

mortensorchid

mortensorchid

Out of curiosity, I was wondering something the other day. I've heard of those who have met through a mutual friend or acquaintance on a specific fix up. Someone, for the sake of argument, says to another "I have this friend John Doe / Jane Doe that I think you should meet." Both parties agree to it, and the two meet. Whatever happens happens from there. I was wondering, what would possess the person who does the matching to do that for these two in question? Is the matcher a woman or a man in most cases?

I remember fairly recently a woman I knew from a MeetUp group I used to be a part of I was at a bar with at the MeetUp. She said she wanted me to meet this guy Frank, we had something in common, we both liked theater according to her. He was there and she had me meet him. I think we shook hands, we talked for all of five minutes, and ... That was that. Unremarkable encounter. I don't even remember anything about the conversation we had or anything about him.

Don't get me wrong, not all are winners to be sure, but I was wondering what goes through the matcher's mind when they decide to do so.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering something the other day. I've heard of those who have met through a mutual friend or acquaintance on a specific fix up. Someone, for the sake of argument, says to another "I have this friend John Doe / Jane Doe that I think you should meet." Both parties agree to it, and the two meet. Whatever happens happens from there. I was wondering, what would possess the person who does the matching to do that for these two in question? Is the matcher a woman or a man in most cases?

I remember fairly recently a woman I knew from a MeetUp group I used to be a part of I was at a bar with at the MeetUp. She said she wanted me to meet this guy Frank, we had something in common, we both liked theater according to her. He was there and she had me meet him. I think we shook hands, we talked for all of five minutes, and ... That was that. Unremarkable encounter. I don't even remember anything about the conversation we had or anything about him.

Don't get me wrong, not all are winners to be sure, but I was wondering what goes through the matcher's mind when they decide to do so.

This has happened me on a couple occasions as well. A friend randomly telling me, "there's a girl x I really want you to meet, I think you'll hit it off." Sometimes, I never meet x, and sometimes, I meet x and there is 0 attraction on my end.

I think some people (most especially women) love playing matchmaker, and more intuitive ones may actually be fairly decent at it.

My guess is they do this for one of two reasons:

1. They think you two may make a cute couple

2. They think you may be interested in them, so by showing you another girl, they are letting you know, "hey, I'm not interested."