Want to date my best friends Widow

My best friend died recently and his wife was basically my 2nd best friend. She was a great wife, making me feel welcome like she did with anyone her husband liked. I would really like to have a relationship with her although I realize most women that loose a spouse have no interest in dating someone else. When we interact, I cant tell if see likes me or if she is just is just being a good friend. I don't want to take a chance and distance her but I think she might want more..............

How long ago is recently? Could you please be more precise?

Did her husband pass away after a long illness? Or was it sudden or unexpected?

It's not uncommon for a widow / widower to date their deceased spouse's BFF. They come together in shared grief.

She has to set the pace. Don't push but do give her a respectable amount of time to grieve. I wouldn't even ask for at least 1 year. Even then, I wouldn't make some big announcement. I'd spend time with her & read the non-verbal cues.

• Like 1

You shouldn't even try it soon after he died. It's distasteful. Wait at least a year. Keep in touch, but don't be obvious. Ask her if she needs help doing things her husband used to do around the house and be helpful but not flirtatious. If you keep up with her, in a year you can ask her if she's felt up to dating again. Or if it happens before then, you can ask her out after she's done with that guy.