Was This "the look" of love?

My friend and I had a conversation the other night which was much deeper and much more serious than any other conversation we've ever had. We usually keep things light and goofy, but I've been going through a lot of difficulties lately and finally let it all out with him. I also asked him to do me a huge favor which he was more than willing to do for me.

After we spoke I left him alone for an hour or so and when I returned to say thank you for listening and for helping me. I couldn't help but notice that he was looking at me much more differently than he'd ever done before. I'm well aware he could've just been tired, but to me it seemed and felt like something more. I'll explain as best as I can. Basically his eyes were really relaxed and soft (like he was feeling tired or even buzzed which I KNOW he wasn't under the circumstances). He was blinking slower than usual and he also smiled at me warmly.

To me, as someone who sucks at not only reading body language but as someone who also sucks at reading/understanding men, it seemed to be more of a seductive gaze. There were other people around so I know he wasn't trying to jump me or pull me in the other room or anything like that, but I can't get that look or feeling out of my head.

What do you make of this? Am I just overthinking things (as usual)?

Because you admit you are not good at reading people it's impossible for us to say.

I wouldn't put much stock in a look. Go only by his actions . . . it's nothing unless he asks you out. That said, because you poured your heart out to him & you are in a vulnerable state if he's a good guy he won't want to take advantage of you so he may hold off making a move.

• Like 1
lana-banana

Based on your post history (which is actually quite relevant here), I'm going to say no. This is just another of many instances in which you've put way too much stock in a friendly gesture. My question is why.

Men at your age do not beat around the bush. Think about the men who have asked you out, who you've gone on dates and had relationships with. They weren't ambiguous about their affections, were they? Why not concentrate on people who devote time and effort to you, instead of spending hours overanalyzing someone's look or expression or hug?

• Like 1
  • Author
Because you admit you are not good at reading people it's impossible for us to say.

I wouldn't put much stock in a look. Go only by his actions . . . it's nothing unless he asks you out. That said, because you poured your heart out to him & you are in a vulnerable state if he's a good guy he won't want to take advantage of you so he may hold off making a move.

Thanks, I fully believe he's a good guy so I know he won't take advantage for sure. It was just a weird moment between us I guess.

Based on your post history (which is actually quite relevant here), I'm going to say no. This is just another of many instances in which you've put way too much stock in a friendly gesture. My question is why.

Men at your age do not beat around the bush. Think about the men who have asked you out, who you've gone on dates and had relationships with. They weren't ambiguous about their affections, were they? Why not concentrate on people who devote time and effort to you, instead of spending hours overanalyzing someone's look or expression or hug?

Following Lana's post, I took a quick look at your other threads. It does seem that you have a history of mistaking a guy's small friendly gesture to be a sign of romantic interest. My guess is that you are extremely inexperienced. When a guy is interested in you romantically, his signals are usually very clear. In the meanwhile, if you are interested in him that way, you can send him signals, e.g., flirt with him or do something cute and nice to him ;)

It sounds like he was tired and maybe it was a look of sympathy. You can't trust a look. I swear the guy I loved the most who ended up sleeping with my oldest friend, I was just sure he was sincere because he had a look which was like kinda squinty with one eye a little more closed than the other.

Then I worked side by side with him for 10 years and realized it was just a lazy eye that made him look emotional.

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that there is a lot in a look :). With my husband, I saw the moment that he saw me in a different light. This was when we were friends and I was hanging out at his house for the first time with another friend. I was playing with his dog in his room and he turned around and looked at me....I could tell by the look he gave me that he just seen me in a new light.

• Like 1
I think that there is a lot in a look :). With my husband, I saw the moment that he saw me in a different light. This was when we were friends and I was hanging out at his house for the first time with another friend. I was playing with his dog in his room and he turned around and looked at me....I could tell by the look he gave me that he just seen me in a new light.

Well, no fair. That was the "You just went up two points because you love my dogs" look. That's more or less a prerequisite for people with animals (or kids).

Cookiesandough
It sounds like he was tired and maybe it was a look of sympathy. You can't trust a look. I swear the guy I loved the most who ended up sleeping with my oldest friend, I was just sure he was sincere because he had a look which was like kinda squinty with one eye a little more closed than the other.

Then I worked side by side with him for 10 years and realized it was just a lazy eye that made him look emotional.

lol it's so horrible to say but I died xD