Does she like me as a friend or more?

Breakingthechains

Breakingthechains

I started to message a girl I knew from high school about 2 weeks ago. We graduated 3 years ago by the way. We text each other all day. Then around the 3rd day, she started to send me Good Morning texts everyday.*We have been texting all day for 2 weeks. When the conversation seems like it's dying down, she always asks what I'm up to.

She never says goodbye and stops responding at night (because she goes to sleep). But then early in the morning, she replies Good Morning. The good morning texts have been going on a week.*She recently opened up to me about her past relationships and how they were not great. I send her romantic songs and she always says "aww that's cute" or something similar. I told her I hope I'm not scaring her away with all the love songs I'm showing her but she replied "You couldn't scare me away".

I want to ask her out but I don't want our conversations to end. This happened to me before where I was sure the girl was interested but then I get rejected. I like talking to her a lot. I tried to talk to her 3 years ago but the conversations fizzled out and eventually she stopped replying but this time it's different.

Does she seem into me? What should I do?

We're both 22.

ExpatInItaly

I'm a woman, and I agree with PegNosePete.

She seems interested - ask her to meet up in person for a meal or a drink or walk somewhere nice.

• Like 2

Being in the friend zone is not having a GF.

You want a girlfriend not a girl friend so ask her out.

So if she does not want to date you that is ok.

And, do you really need a pen pal?

Edited by road
  • Like 2

I want to ask her out but I don't want our conversations to end. This happened to me before where I was sure the girl was interested but then I get rejected. I like talking to her a lot. I tried to talk to her 3 years ago but the conversations fizzled out and eventually she stopped replying but this time it's different.

We're both 22.

Ask her out and have a specific day, time and location.

Put it "I'd like to take you to (place) at (time and date)", not "would you like to go out and do something sometime?" Don't leave it open ended because it's leaving a back door open for her to exit if you're nebulous with the details.

If you want to ask her out as a potential girlfriend, then be direct about it so she's not left with wondering. If she shrinks from this, then you know that she was never of the mind to take things further with you and the sooner you can ascertain that, the faster you can drop her off at the mall and keep going. No sense in wasting time with a time waster.

• Like 1
I want to ask her out but I don't want our conversations to end. This happened to me before where I was sure the girl was interested but then I get rejected. I like talking to her a lot.

What should I do?

You should make a plan to meet. Don't call it a date just yet. Hang out with her.

While you are together in person (DO NOT DO THIS THOUGH TEXT -- I can't emphasize that enough) drop some veiled hints. Say something vague along the lines of liking her as a person. Ask things like how does she feel about you? Does she see any potential for there to be more between you? If you get positive responses to that, smile widely & lean in for a quick kiss. See if she meets you half way, otherwise pull back. Even if the kiss is aborted, do ask her on a proper date called a date. If you get a lukewarm or negative response, carry on with the friendship, as much as you can as if this never happened, assuming you are OK being friend-zoned. The only reason I say carry on is because you said you like talking to her & want that to continue. When you want more from someone, the friend-zone is a sad & frustrating place to be.

If you don't want to ask her , do the following

- ask a friend to speak up for you ( she might end up liking him because he had the guts to come and speak)

- send a note ( like a grade 5 kid. She will think you are in grade 5 still)

- send anonymous flowers ( you might get served with restraining order !)

I guess the safest option is - you ask her out :)

• Like 1

Oh, my God, how do you expect to EVER go out with a woman if you don't ASK HER OUT? Always remember that fear and hesitation are big turnoffs. This woman will have more respect for you if you just go ahead and ask her out -- even if she says no. If you wait, you will never ever get out of the friendzone. You need to ask her out right now. It's so easy. Text her "Do you want to go to a movie this weekend?"

• Like 3
Text her "Do you want to go to a movie this weekend?"

That's too open ended. Her response might be "yes, but not with you".

"I'd like to take you to the (time) showing of (movie) at (cineplex). I'll meet you out front and after, we can go grab a drink/bite to eat". There is absolutely no ambivalence or mistaking intention there.

• Author
Breakingthechains

I've been texting a girl I knew from high school for 3 weeks now. We chat all day everyday. We reconnected by coincidence but we didn't know each other well during HS. We knew of each other though. Anyways, A week ago I admitted I had feelings for her and asked her on a dinner date. I made it clear that I wanted a date. She said she would like that. The thing that got me thinking is that the other day she told me that she hopes we can hangout on the day we set for the "date". She's a busy girl and I don't mind if she cancelled but the fact is that she said the word "hangout".

I would ask her if she considers my dinner offer a date or a hangout but I don't want to come off as insecure. I hope she is interested in Me as more as a friend. She said I was a cool guy. Every morning, she sends me a good morning text very early. When she tells me she's busy, I offer to let her go but she insists on talking to me because she would get bored. Every time I try to flirt with her she always replies with "aww you're so sweet". The other day, she mentioned that I'm the only one that she chats with everyday and she's surprised that I haven't gotten bored of her.

But I'm confused if she likes me or not because she doesn't seem to respond to my flirting other than "aww" and that she referred our upcoming date as a hangout. She's well aware of my feelings for her by the way.

What do you guys think?

Chatting / texting all day every day sounds tedious to me. But you are younger & I get it's your generation's favorite form of "communication."

If you actually see each other on the day set for your dinner date / hang out, gage her level of interest by her in person behaviors, putting aside everything that may have transpired between you electronically.

If she acts into you, great proceed to a relationship. If she deflects or shows low interest, she is friendzoning you.

I think you're reading too much into her "hangout" message. Texting all day every day? Sounds like she likes you to me. I dunno. If you feel like it's gone on too long and she has no interest in you as a romantic partner, it's time to make that tough decision. Stay in the "friend zone" and torture yourself wanting her as your GF. Or just stop contact.

You asked her on a date and she has accepted. We women don't always talk in code words so don't place too much emphasis on her using the word Hangout. Don't let that make you hesitant. She accepted the date so go on the date and act like a date and unless she said something to stop you kiss her at the end of the date. She sounds like she likes you so don't worry about it but just know that a date is not a marriage proposal. Just because someone accepts a date doesn't mean they're committing to falling in love with you.

I started to message a girl I knew from high school about 2 weeks ago. We graduated 3 years ago by the way. We text each other all day. Then around the 3rd day, she started to send me Good Morning texts everyday.*We have been texting all day for 2 weeks. When the conversation seems like it's dying down, she always asks what I'm up to.

She never says goodbye and stops responding at night (because she goes to sleep). But then early in the morning, she replies Good Morning. The good morning texts have been going on a week.*She recently opened up to me about her past relationships and how they were not great. I send her romantic songs and she always says "aww that's cute" or something similar. I told her I hope I'm not scaring her away with all the love songs I'm showing her but she replied "You couldn't scare me away".

We're both 22.

I'm not sure what has happened to the millenials but stop having f'ing conversations over text. Use texting to set up dates and talk to her instead on the dates.

This is one of the reasons why young women go after older men. Older men get to the point and have better things to do then text women all day.

• Author
Breakingthechains

I've been texting a girl I knew from high school for 3 weeks now. We chat all day everyday. We reconnected by coincidence but we didn't know each other well during HS. We knew of each other though. Anyways, A week ago I admitted I had feelings for her and asked her on a dinner date. I made it clear that I wanted a date. She said she would like that. The thing that got me thinking is that the other day she told me that she hopes we can hangout on the day we set for the "date". She's a busy girl and I don't mind if she cancelled but the fact is that she said the word "hangout".

I would ask her if she considers my dinner offer a date or a hangout but I don't want to come off as insecure. I hope she is interested in Me as more as a friend. She said I was a cool guy. Every morning, she sends me a good morning text very early. When she tells me she's busy, I offer to let her go but she insists on talking to me because she would get bored. Every time I try to flirt with her she always replies with "aww you're so sweet". The other day, she mentioned that I'm the only one that she chats with everyday and she's surprised that I haven't gotten bored of her.*

But I'm confused if she likes me or not because she doesn't seem to respond to my flirting other than "aww" and that she referred our upcoming date as a hangout. She's well aware of my feelings for her by the way.

Does she seem interested in being more than friends?

If you think logically about this then a woman you knew of in high school whom you haven't re-met as yet and have only chatted with for three weeks isn't going to jump right into anything romantically.

She is putting the 'date' back in the slot of hangout and she isn't flirting back and rightly so. She really doesn't know you.

You haven't met yet as it were so why put pressure on for it to be a date and expect her to feel any strong feelings for you?

It sorta sounds like you want to manipulate this into something it hasn't naturally progressed to.

I would ask her if she considers my dinner offer a date or a hangout but I don't want to come off as insecure. I hope she is interested in Me as more as a friend. She said I was a cool guy. Every morning, she sends me a good morning text very early. When she tells me she's busy, I offer to let her go but she insists on talking to me because she would get bored. Every time I try to flirt with her she always replies with "aww you're so sweet". The other day, she mentioned that I'm the only one that she chats with everyday and she's surprised that I haven't gotten bored of her.*

Does she seem interested in being more than friends?

I think you're overthinking. You're going to scare her away if you continually put pressure on this new 'relationship' Hangout and spend time together mean the same thing. She probably didn't think you'd read much into that.

Take it one day at a time. You're only weeks in, you can't expect her to be madly in love yet. Go out for dinner, talk in person, you'll get a better indication of if things are and will progress by noting her body language. It isn't easy to gauge how someone feels over text.

Moderation merged three threads on a similar relationship issue so there may be some duplication of content. Please continue the discussion in this thread only. Thanks!

That's too open ended. Her response might be "yes, but not with you".

"I'd like to take you to the (time) showing of (movie) at (cineplex). I'll meet you out front and after, we can go grab a drink/bite to eat". There is absolutely no ambivalence or mistaking intention there.

She wouldn't do that if she was interested in him. If she did that he'd know she is a jerk.