Should I tell my best friend how I feel?

Cantgetagoodusername

Cantgetagoodusername

High School is coming to an end. Tomorrow is the last day. I've never been in a relationship before, though I've tried several girls. Some were pretty, some funny, some good friends. But there is one who is different. This person has become a huge part of my life. All the other girls I've chased I always had to start the convesation, initate everything and bug them, and after failing, they've fallen off and I've never spoke with them or much less frequently since then. The story with this one is different. As one of our clubs came to an end back in March, she noticed me playing guitar, and asked if I would teach her. Normally, when this club ends, everyone goes their separate ways and doesn't talk much anymore. But we stayed together. Almost every day after school, she would come to see me and we would play guitar, I'd tutor for her tests, and other normal friend stuff. She makes time for me. She's always happy to see me, I can see the excitement in her eyes and the joy in her expression. She's really always there for me when I'm down, especially during these times when people break ties and destroy friendships as the year comes to a close.

Everyone in my school thinks that we are a thing, but I don't think we are. Yeah, we text and snap a lot. Yeah we hang out alone a lot. And yeah, we look into each other's eyes affectionately when we play guitar together and sing together. But we've never done any "boyfriend-girlfriend" stuff I think. My friend who is taking her to prom got angry at me and said I was cockblocking him, but she wants to be around me, as my friend, and not him. She was aware of this situation and told him that we're just friends, so I think we're on the same page. She is plain beautiful, and I know many guys would kill to get with her. She hooks up with other guys at parties I don't get invited to, but she never stays together with them or anything like that. But I don't see her as another specimen for a source of pleasure. She is truly one of the best people I know. She is one of the most important people in my life right now. I can't tell if she's waiting for me to make the move, because she's not one to be so upfront with people. She has been single for a long time now, and all other guys stopped coming on to her once they saw how much time we spent together and how much we like each other. One girl told me to tell her I like her, but I don't know. I know some might say I should "just go for it! What's the worst that can happen?" But the worst that can happen is that our excellent friendship would be sullied by awkwardness should I decide to confess to her. I don't want to ruin our friendship, but I don't want to miss what could be this perfect opportunty where the universe allows for every condition to be right to allow for me to even be in this position, and it feels right to tell her. I don't know what I should do, because maybe I'm wrong, but as we've grown closer I've begun to feel for this girl like no one I ever have before. I think I have fallen in love with her.

• Like 1

You need to just ask her on a date and be sure she knows it's a date. If you keep going as is, your friendship is going to fail anyway because she is going to drop you once she finds a guy she really likes and wants it to last with him. So you need to stop dragging your feet and ask her on a real date. There is NO need to confess your feelings -- in fact, do not do that -- it's awkward. Show her with actions and the action is asking her on a date. She's probably wondering why you haven't done that yet and she will lose interest if you don't get on it.

• Like 1
  • Author
Cantgetagoodusername

Thank you. I asked her twice to come hang with my friends but she was busy both times. I doubt she's avoiding me because she said to wait until after her finals are over or a weekend to ask her. I know it's not really a date if I hang out with my friends and her, but I'll try to work my way up to that. Thank you again

• Like 2

Preraph is right. You really need to ask her out on a date, move forward with things like holding her hand, touching her and see where things take you based on her reaction. If it feels right, go with it.

She's single, that probably won't last. Once she finds a guy she connects with, you're friendship will just drift apart as she is going to want to spend her free time with him.

Also things will continue to get worse for you in terms of being in love with her and eventually its going to lead to problems down the road anways.

You have to acknowledge risk, it could backfire, she may not like you like that. It certainly will make things awkward, and your going to be sad over it. There is always risk in life, but if you never put yourself out there when you develop feelings for someone, its going to always end the same.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
MeadowFlower

OP, this is beautiful. The real deal in relation to relationships, deep friendship. I don't have any advice to give but cherish this friendship, and whatever more it is.

I had the same situation before. I also feel in love with my bestfriend. I confessed to her. It never ruined our friendship.

Don't be afraid to confess. Ask her on a date just like preraph said. If it blossoms to a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship, well and good. If not, you two will still be friends and just let the love stay. Just show her you love her but don't expect for the same from her.