Should I tell my best friend how I feel about her?

Cantgetagoodusername

Cantgetagoodusername

High School is coming to an end. The last day for me is tomorrow. I've never been a relationship, all of the girls I've ever chased ended up falling off and we haven't talked since. Some were pretty, some were funny, some were good friends. But this girl is different. I've always been the one to show interest and start the conversation with every other girl I liked. This one is special, because she really cares about me. For about 5 months now we've grown closer. Towards the end of one of our clubs in March, she noticed me playing guitar, and asked if I would teach her. Normally, after the club ends, everyone in it goes their separate ways, but we stayed together. Almost every day after school she would come see me to teach her how to play. I'd also tutor her for her tests and what not, and we'd do other normal friend stuff as well. She makes time for me, and has always been around for me when I'm down and need someone, especially during these times when friends start to become not friends, and people break ties as the year comes to an end. She has become one of my best friends because of that.

The thing is that everyone in our school thinks we are a thing, but I don't think we are. My friend who asked her to prom got upset because he thought I was cockblocking him, but she ultimately just wanted to be around me, as my friend, and not him. Yeah, we look into each other's eyes affectionately when we play guitar together and sing together. Yeah, we text and snap all the time. And yeah, we do hang out alone. But we've never done any "boyfriend-girlfriend" I guess you could say. When my friend who's taking her to prom confronted me, she knew about it, and said we were just friends as well. So we're on the same page I think. But I can't help but wonder if she is waiting for me to make a move. And it's easy to say "just go for it! What's the worst that could happen?", but the worst that could happen is our excellent friendship could be sullied by awkwardness and it'll never be the same if she doesn't reciprocate my feelings, should I confess them to her. She is plain beautiful, and I'm sure a lot of guys in the school are hungry for a single girl like her. She has hooked up with other guys at parties that I don't get invited to, but she never stays with them like she has with me. But I don't see her as another specimen like that, to prey upon at as another source of pleasure. She is genuinely one of the best people I know. She is one of the most important people in my life right now. I don't want to ruin that, but I also don't want to leave what could be the perfect opportunity to find someone I really love, because right now, I'm not sure, but I think I have fallen in love with her.