A much younger friend appears to be interested in a relationship

I had met a girl through work last year (we aren't co-workers, don't even work at the same place) she was very friendly and we had met up a few times for coffee. It seemed like just friends at the time and we had a decent age gap so I really never thought anything of it. I am 32 and she is 25. We slowly lost touch and I hadn't heard from her in a few months.

Recently, I randomly ran into her. Since then she has been texting me a lot , apologizing we losing touch, throwing a ton of compliments my way and also appears to be flirting with me. She has also been pushing to hang out again, we met up a few days ago. She even has texted me "Good morning :)" a few times the past few days. I am pretty sure she is interested in me but its possible she is being overly friendly.

I have been quite hesitant because of the age gap, 7 years is pretty significant. She is very attractive and I love her personality. If it wasn't for the age difference, I'd be all in. I had a really bad experience dating a girl years ago that was 6 years younger than me, we clearly were at much different stages in life as well a maturity issues. It was a very bad break up.

So I guess I am asking for some feedback on that big of an age gap, and maybe I am misinterpreting her being overly friendly as being interested.

• Author
If she seems to be on your level, I dont think 7 yrs is a big deal.

I guess when you factor in birthdays is more like 7 and 1/2 years apart. I keep thinking that really isn't that far apart.

I'd say we aren't on the same level but we are pretty close.

Good lord! If 7 years was far apart, I would never date. Heck you're still in the single digits haha!

7 years is nothing but if it matters to you then I guess it matters. I wouldn't and don't bat an eye at that "small" age difference.

Age gaps less than 10 years don't even count.

Your practically the same age.

• Like 1

Well, there's levels of maturity. So like if you're 25 dating an 18 year old, that is an age gap because she's basically still at high school experience and maturity and too young to know what she wants to do and just at the beginning of her maturing and exploring. The frontal lobe of the brain that can predict consequences and some other functions isn't even fully formed until approximately the mid-twenties, so there's a big difference between a 25 year old and a 20 year old.

So unless you have way more experience than her in terms of having already been married and have kids, major stuff like that that matures you, then you are likely not too far apart maturity-wise to date. Good luck!

• Author

Everyone here collectively seems to think the age gap isn't that big and is a non issue. Talking to a few friends, they generally agree as well.

Maybe its the relationship that went very badly in the past that has made me hesitant? I don't know.

And she'd clearly into me this time around, we went out this morning and both had a really great time and we made plans again for tomorrow.