Being friend-zoned?

Recently I met a girl that i am very fond of. The kind that regardless romantic or platonic, you will want her around for the rest of your life.

We are in the same group of friends that she usually hang around with (outside of her female friends). And I am the only guy who she will ever have prolonged conversation with in that group (we chat on everything, even more intimate topics of her childhood or family). If she comes in late, she will always seek out either me or her female friend first. She always stopped by to chat even if we pass by the corridor, and go out of the way to invite only me personally to group events. When we talked, there are many subtle things that I could pick on: she always smile, looks directly into my eyes, laugh at our lame jokes, lean close to my direction, or play/twirl her pony tail. I myself introduced many guys to her attention (mostly because she is a foreigner, so I do introduce guys from the same country to her). But apparently she always brushed them aside.

A sign, right? Well, but it's not all going smoothly

Firstly none of my male friend thought that there is anything between us so it could be just me over-analysing. Secondly, English is her second language and I am generally a good listener, so maybe the reason why she only chat with me is because I am the only one whom she can chat with normally. But thirdly is a killer. Whenever I try to suggest to do something together (without mentioning the group, as a very subtle sign to advance our relationship), she always either busy or just find excuses not to.

Am in in friend-zone now? If we can't progress into a more intimate relationship, at least I want to make sure that I don't act weird, so we can remain good friends.

Edited by Pocketstar

You are in the friendzone. If she wanted to go out with you alone, she would have said yes to something. Please stop thinking twirling hair is anything. It's not. People with hair touch their own hair often and for no reason.

• Author
You are in the friendzone. If she wanted to go out with you alone, she would have said yes to something. Please stop thinking twirling hair is anything. It's not. People with hair touch their own hair often and for no reason.

Not an answer I would like to hear, but thank regardless =]

If things can't progress into romance, I guess I need to straighten up my mind and keep the friendship going. As mentioned, I enjoyed her accompany even before i thought about any potential romance. And probably will after this too

I think playing with hair does mean something through. Not necessarily means interests, but also nervousness, unsure or simply bored (based on their emotions). Of course some people will play with their hair all the time that it becomes habit. But I think we all can read onto some unsual body language

Edited by Pocketstar

But nervousness isn't a good thing. It doesn't mean she likes you. It may mean she's nervous that you're going to hit on her and she's going to have to reject you more directly. It may be something she's done since she was a child, and probably is just one of those habits.

• Author
But nervousness isn't a good thing. It doesn't mean she likes you. It may mean she's nervous that you're going to hit on her and she's going to have to reject you more directly. It may be something she's done since she was a child, and probably is just one of those habits.

More information is always good through. If we know someone becoming nervous due to something we just did, then we can avoid to repeat in the future.

But yeah on the hair playing thing, as mentioned if it's a habit then of course we can't do anything about it. But if it's an unusual thing that does not happen normally, then I will try to read on it as much as i can :)

Edited by Pocketstar
  • Author
You could try not introducing her to guys and simply ask her out on a date...seems kind of simple, really.

I don't want to make our friendship turn weird unless I know that at least she interest in it.

I'm serious, she is really fun to hang out with. And her smile do brighten my day. I don't want to lose what i am having, just because of my desire of wanting to monopolise them.

ChatroomHero

It sounds like the friend zone. Here's the tough thing...how bad will you want to be her friend when the long conversations she has with you are about other men and boyfriends?

The only way it works is if are over her and you can honestly say when she uses your shoulder to talk about other men, you won't care. When she talks about crappy things her bf does, it never crosses your mind that you would treat her so much better.

If you can do that, great. If not, it will be torture.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
I think playing with hair does mean something through. Not necessarily means interests, but also nervousness, unsure or simply bored (based on their emotions). Of course some people will play with their hair all the time that it becomes habit. But I think we all can read onto some unsual body language

I am just putting it out there. I play with my hair all the time. I like the way it feels. I just play with it to play with it