Dose she likes or hates me?

There is a girl at my office we work together on a small team. Things were good at the inception but at the end of our internship program I observed that she started ignoring me. This observation is based on all her actions in our last two weeks of our internship. Somewhere in mid of our internship something bad happened to me and I was disturbed. So, I used to sit alone in cubicle area of my office and not with her on the sofa n table. This was because, I was crying thinking about the incident and I didn't want to disturb the office environment. The girl is attractive, intelligent but shy, I respect her and never thought about dating or anything as such about her. I never hang out with her as usual as I do with my other colleagues like during lunch and events. I didn't do this intentionally, may be she might not comfortable with me or us as a group. Somewhere down the line I noticed she was being left alone, anyways I never thought much about her and gave her space. Her birthday was approaching and she was damn excited. She almost had told me 5 times that her bday is on this specific day, which was weird to me. As a kind gesture I gifted her a necklace and earring set and she was happy or acted happy for me. Now, at the end she suddenly starts ignoring me and I found out she even blocked me on one social media which was pointless as we had only 4 days left. She would have blocked me after our last day also if she had a problem with that. Did she do all of this to get my attention? What could be wrong between us? Did the gift suggest I like her and all her actions tell that she is not interested in me? Do girls play all these games instead of just approaching and talking with guys?

She was excited about her birthday but she wasn't interested in your romantically, so your nice gift made her feel awkward. I don't know what the custom is where you are, but here, an office birthday is sharing a cake and passing around a card everyone signs.

No, she's not playing games. She was just excited about her birthday and shouldn't have made so much of it around you that you could misinterpret it. She blocked you because she knows you like her now and she doesn't reciprocate. I'm sorry it got awkward. This is the trouble with work friendships and relationships. At work, it's really part of everyone's job to be friendly with their coworkers, and this can be confusing. It's usually all just fake.

Just forget about it and move on and don't get wound up at work over a woman anymore!

• Like 1
  • Author

Yes, I think its because of the culture difference, things got complicated. Where I come from, a girl would not have accepted the gift in the 1st place (politely declined). But the way she reacted when she came to know I gifted she smiled and her cheeks went so pink. How can someone fake that, so easily?

I am not from this country and in my culture we value people. Nothing is fake, if we are happy we act happy, if we are angry we will show anger.

Anyways the only thing that concerned me is that she should not have judged me on my actions. It hurts me a lot at least in this situation.

I'll make sure I won't repeat the same mistake in future.

Yes, it's cultural differences. And she was wrong for making such a big deal about her birthday which made you think she must have some personal interest. She is just a big self-absorbed. Her cheeks blushing may have been because she became a bit embarrassed that her actions brought about this result. Anyway, do not feel bad or embarrassed. Just carry on and act as if you don't even notice she's blocking or anything. All you have to do now is just be polite and do any business you have to with her in a professional manner. Let this be HER burden, not yours. You just go on about your job. She sounds too immature and silly.