I may have a crush on a friend?

I have a guy friend who I have known for about 8 years. Me and this friend who I will call Robert have been on a "bro" status for this long. We were close at first during our friendship but we kinda went separate ways for a few years cause of us being in relationships. We have always remained friends and would see each other from time to time. Now I am single we have reconnected as friends and grew pretty close again texting daily, hanging out a little more, calling each other when we need help with something etc.

Since some time has passed since my last relationship, I figured I would try dating again and haven't had much luck with it. I will usually go to Robert for dating advice from a guys perspective and he would also tell me situations he is in with girls he is dating/sleeping with. We have that kind of relationship where we can talk about our dating/sex lives and joke around with each other. He has mentioned before that any guy would be lucky to have me, he said I am attractive and have a big heart. Every time one of my dating prospects falls short, Robert always responds with "the dudes a jerk, its his loss". He has also mentioned on a few occasions that he would date me if we wasn't on bro level.

Well one night me and Robert went to a friends party and I got really drunk to where I couldn't drive. Robert took me back to his place to crash and said we would get my car in the morning. We drank some more at his place and then watched Netflix for a bit. We were both really drunk and ended up making out that night. A lot of last night was a blur but I do remember him trying to initiate sex and me telling him no. The next morning I couldn't remember what happened entirely but I did remember us kissing. He acknowledged the kiss and treated it like it was no big deal just a drunk kiss between friends. I asked him if it will make things awkward now and he said only if we let it and we are still on bro level.

I guess we are acting like it never happened. We hung out the rest of the morning and it seemed like we are back to normal,. I was texting other guys asking for his advice and vice versa. I am glad that if anything our friendship is still the same but I have felt for a while that I may have developed a crush on him and I cant get the kiss off my mind. I dont know if its worth me trying to pursue this or let it go as just simply a drunk kiss? Any one have any advice, or experiences with this sort of situation?

Hun he had been waiting 8 years for that kiss. Trust me he has always liked you. If you truly have romantic feelings for him, then go for it.

• Author
Hun he had been waiting 8 years for that kiss. Trust me he has always liked you. If you truly have romantic feelings for him, then go for it.

I don't understand why he would act like it didn't happen or like it was just a drunk kiss then?

I don't understand why he would act like it didn't happen or like it was just a drunk kiss then?

Because he's scared of rejection. :roll eyes: If you had woken up naked next to him in bed I doubt he would have brushed it off.

• Like 1
  • Author
Because he's scared of rejection. :roll eyes: If you had woken up naked next to him in bed I doubt he would have brushed it off.

The whole thing seemed more sexual rather than romantic though, I mean we were both drunk so it's understandable. I do remember when he was trying to initiate sex, I was telling him no he will need to take me on a date first. I don't remember the entire conversation though. I also remember I was the one who initiated the kiss. When I woke up I didn't remember much of the night and pretty much asked him what happened which may of caused him to play it off as a drunk kiss. But idk.

Edited by Puglife

Smackie9 is right. If you're interested in him he's yours. He's wanted to kiss you for a long time but didn't want to lose you as a friend. Since you initiated it and there was always the excuse of being drunk he played along. Now he isn't sure if you are comfortable with what happened so he still doesn't want to risk the friendship. If you tell him you liked it/want to do it again when you're not drunk he will be jumping for joy.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

I disagree with previous posters.

Not all male friends are in love with their female friends. Sure, they would have sex with them given the chance but a relationship? Mostly not.

OP, if it felt mostly sexual, it probably was.

• Author

Okay so I did have the talk with him, told him that everything that happened that night is coming back to me and I remember telling him I liked him and stuff and that was honestly the truth. Told him I have kinda liked him for a while but I didn't want to explore or really feel it because we are friends. I also mentioned that after the drunk night we had we are now forced to address it and decide if we want more or not.

He responded that he is partial to the idea of us being more and he has thought about it before but he doesn't want to risk our friendship. Said he would hate to lose me as a friend and I agreed with him that our friendship is number one. We have been through a lot together and he doesn't want us to change. And he doesn't feel dating eachother is worth risking our friendship over. So that's that

Edited by Puglife
  • Author

I have a good guy friend who I have known for years and go way back with. We have always been platonic until this past weekend when we ended up getting drunk and making out.

While drunk I told him I liked him which at the time I wasn't aware I felt that way. I am usually honest with my feelings when I drink so I figured when I told him I liked him, I really felt that way. We played it off as being drunk the next day but I couldn't shake the feeling and decided to tell him how I have been feeling. He said he is partial to the idea of us being more than friends and he has considered it before but he dosent want to lose our friendship and that our friendship isn't worth risking. I completely understand and I agree with him that our friendship isn't worth the risk for something that may not work out.

How do I continue on with this friendship like normal? I have seen him twice since then and things seemed to be normal but he isn't quite as responsive to my texts these past few days. What do I do?