Should I be taking what this girl says with a grain of salt?

HansonGirl

I met a guy and also met a good female friend of his who has known him for a couple years. When it was a group of us girls together, she would ALWAYS talk about him. I mean without fail. And she would complain about his dating life, saying he goes after the wrong girls. And she would also talk about how considerate he is, discussing a story about him contacting her when he knew she was sick and asking if she needed anything. (she has repeated that story multiple times actually). Part of me thinks that she wants us to be like, gee, why aren't you guys together, he clearly likes you, but that could just be the cynic in me.

The first time I even met this girl she made a joke about how she told somebody that the two of them were married. So for the first couple times, i had assumed the two of them were a couple, until I learned later that they were not a couple, just close friends. I told her that. Not sure if i should have.

And whenever she talks about his love life, it is always soooo negative. She is overly concerned about it. So as someone who is wondering if I should be interested in him, I wonder if she views me and the other girls as competition. Like to paint him out in a negative light to make us not interested in him. She seems to have more or less declared that the two of them have a special relationship and I feel as though the rest of us are all looking in.

I have already started to wonder about him based entirely off of her description of him, and i don't know if I want to do that. should I take what she says with a grain of salt? We are all in our 30's.

Maybe they have history but it didn't work out, and she's still pining for him? It sounds like there could be something in what you're thinking.