Am I settling? Are we too different?

So there's this guy... I shall call him Dave. We were practically best friends in elementary school and really got along well... shared a lot of the same interests, etc. But we drifted apart in middle school and high school to kinda hang out with separate crowds due to our classes and such. He was in band and football; and I had 4-H club among others. Long story short, we saw very little of each other. To top that off we also went to different colleges. But then we started to reconnect a bit over facebook, simply chatting and venting about our classes etc to each other but it never went any farther than that.

Now that we're out of college, we both ended up in the same town again. We are both single young(ish) adults in a town where it seems like all our classmates and even the underclassmen have paired up and started families. We have started chatting again, pretty regularly. We can still make each other laugh and seem to still have at least a bit of that same connection we had in elementary school.... BUT we lead very different lives and schedules. I work 1st shift and he works 3rd. I love the outdoors and country life and he's a bit of a game geek and likes to cosplay. I've gathered indirectly that he dislikes anything to do with "rednecks and hicks" as some put it (or this used to be the case), but that is really the world that I have grown up in. Yet I have also gathered that he definitely has an interest in me, as he's already asked me on a date, despite knowing that I am involved heavily in the rural lifestyle that he supposedly dislikes. Honestly I'm a little confused and unsure what to make of the situation. I'm afraid we are too different to be more than friends and I don't want to ruin what we have... I always thought that the only person I could see myself with is a country guy, but to this point, that has not happened nor do I expect it to anytime soon. I am 26 and am not getting any younger. I want a family eventually but don't want to be middle aged before that happens. Would I be settling if I tried to make it work with Dave? And COULD we even make it work with our different schedules and lifestyles? Could anyone share some of their experiences or do you have any advice? Am I better off trying to keep him as a friend and take a chance waiting for a better match that may never come?

Hey, how about you go on a date and see how that goes first before all of this massive overthinking?

Just give it a shot.