I like my best friend's younger brother...?

(sorry this is so long)

I have known my best friend for almost 16 years now. We've basically had the honor of watching each other grow up... along with our siblings. I have a younger brother of two years, and she has a younger brother of three years. We all get along great and often hang out together. Up until recently, I have only ever cared for her brother and seen him in a platonic way. I honestly don't know what changed for me to suddenly be attracted, but I am now. I am very attracted to him, and I have no idea what to do because the situation only seems to keep getting more and more complicated.

First, I can never tell when a guy is attracted to me. I overthink situations and convince myself that I see more than what is really there...Still, there are moments when it feels like he may have some attraction to me, so here is what I notice when we're together.

He and I, weirdly enough, have more in common than his sister and I. Because of our schedules, sometimes it's just me, his sister, and him. During these situations he and I will spend most of our time laughing and bouncing jokes off of each other and just all around having a good time. (this is actually fairly recent too because while we've known each other, he never used to come out as much as he does now)

When all four of us are together, we all often playfully pick on each other. Whenever his sister makes a statement about me, he always sticks up for me. (course when my brother isn't there, and I say something, he sticks up for my brother too)

There are weird... moments with him. He'll randomly do things that, according to his sister's endless complaints about him, appear to be really out of character. Like bringing me things I may need and just making sure I'm comfortable. Other times he'll say weird things...

Exhibit A:

Me: no that coworker only likes asian girls (I'm asian)

Him: my kind of guy...

Exhibit B:

Me: I don't think the friendzone exists

Him: Oh no trust me it does, I would know, you just haven't been friendzoned

Me: mmm no I really don't that's it

Him: Well maybe you don't think it exists, but I'm sure guys around think it does

Weird but VERY RARE encounters. I mean he is usually a pretty quiet and shy guy. And sometimes he ignores me all together. If we're all sitting around talking, sometimes he appears to lose interest and get's lost in his own thoughts....

With all that being said, EVEN IF HE DOES LIKE ME, my best friend is unbelievably protective of him...despite him being 19. She hates to even consider the idea that he has friends that are girls. In fact, immediately after he mentioned being in the friendzone, she was super anxious to change the subject. At this point, I'm more scared of her reaction than being rejected by him.. not that I don't think he's worth the risk, because I do...I'm just having major inner conflict because his sister and I have been best friend's for so long, but being close to her means I see him all the time...?

I don't know anymore, honestly. Please help.:confused:

You know her better then we do.

If you like him, talk to him. If he likes you too, both of you talk to her. Explain that you don't need her permission but because you both love her & you hope she loves you both, you hope she can be happy for you.

• Like 1