Nice to me or ?

I have a colleague of mine that I started working with from the past few months. We rarely used to talk to each other in the beginning but after a couple of months we became good friends like joking around about work,colleagues etc.

I always find him making excuses to talk to me, stop by my desk and sometimes he keeps staring at me when I talk during meetings. Though, he has never asked for my number or neither do we talk to each other after office hours.

He has few other close friends, I should say who are much closer than me . And the other day, he was asking me for suggestions on his third date with his girl friend. And am not quite sure if he really has a girl friend or if he was just testing to see my reaction...because I've never heard him talk about spending time with his girl friend anytime before or for that matter have never heard him talk about his girl friend. And yesterday he gave me a sweet inexpensive gift for without any reason.

I am a little unsure of how he thinks of me, is he just being a nice, close friend to me or is he interested in me?

I won't speak for the young man here but I can tell you I've never asked a woman I wanted to date for advice on a woman I was dating, or any other woman for that matter. In my generation, that's a nearly certain trip to the bin.

Absent that, if you don't see him interacting with other ladies at work as he does with you, then IMO he likes you. If you're single and have made him aware of that, then the ball is in his court. Young folks don't follow the relatively rigid gender roles we oldsters do so of course you could ask him out. Up to you.