He is just not that into me?

I have an old friend who I known since college. We have always been friends but last week we hooked up. We only kissed and made out, and he said that he wants to spend time with me, and asked me what I want. He knows that I had terrible experience with my ex, and I said that I am afraid of being hurt. Tomorrow, he asked me how I felt about last night, and I said that I don't regret it, but I am confused, he said the same. Later that day, he called me, and his friends to hang out at his place and to go out somewhere, but he told me that we should chill out from last night hooking up in the beginning. He wants to kiss me, and spend time with me, but think that we should chill out, and was afraid that I would be mad at him. I agreed. And it kinda hurt me. When we went out again with friends, we again hooked up but our friends didn't see us and I told him that I don't want to do things that way, and when we were near our friends I told him to kiss me just to be safe if he realy wants to be with me. I had a feeling that he wan't 100% into that and went home. Tomorrow he called me and said that he doesn't know what it's happening, that he wants to kiss me, lay down with me, and called me to his place. I denied. I think that maybe he is playing with me, plus he always chaces other girls so I don't know what to do. I don't want to ruin our friendship, and think that it is not worth the risk cause I have a feeling that he is not that into me?

He may be playing with you. He has specifically stated what he wants is to kiss and lay with you. He has not said anything about wants you for his girlfriend or that he has strong feelings for you.

• Author

Yes, thank you. I should trust my instincts. He asked me what I want, and I didn't know what to say because I don't want to get hurt again. But he didn't say that he wants to be my boyfriend, he said that he wants to spend time with me, and there is a difference.