Is he into me? Or is it mixed signals?

I have been friends with Dan* for just over a year now. We met when we were both abroad for post-secondary education. We became close friends immediately, and several of my friends always told me that they could see that we had a "connection". Anyways, he had a gf during that time, and we remained friends, hung out with our group of people. He was heartbroken when the girl he was dating broke up with him. I was there to console him and during that time he told me a lot of personal details about himself and ever since then we have been very close. He moved back to where he came from but we have remained very close. He has been pursuing a girl for the past year and she simply does not give him the time of day, he claims to love her but she doesn't. Doesn't treat him like someone she would love and he's always upset with her and her behaviour. I was the first to know about her and he would ask me for advice (early on) on how to talk to her etc.. The past 6 months he has been feeling very miserable about her and how he treats her. Always complaining to me and telling me how he feels ****ty. However, throughout this time we constantly have been messaging and I'm always very supportive of him during his studies and exams and he keeps dropping hints left & right about how this girl has got competition because I comfort him so much and make him feel very good. We always joke and tease each other, he has nicknames for me, he cares about me. At first he used to say that i'm like his "sister" but this has disappeared within the last 3 months. The girl he is pursuing once asked him is him and I had "history" and he told her we did not. Lately we talk more often, and later into the night. However, I have noticed that he does not like any of my social media pictures or posts and I'm just trying to figure out if I am misreading things, or if he's into me? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

That's a difficult one.

At first he considered you as a sister because you hang much, texted and you supported him during his breakups.

You could say he saw you as a buddy.

It's possible he started to appreciate you, but since you're so good friends, he doesn't want to loose that.

Maybe you should have been less available.

But then, don't some couples start off as friends first ?

• Author

Thank you Kamila. That is true, I may have been Too available. But then again, I don't even know if I see him in that "light" as I have become so very used to him as a friend. But he is a perfect guy, and if the opportunity arose I don't think anything would stop me, but I also value our friendship and want to have him around always. I don't know sometimes I notice his behavior more than other times. They do say best friends make the best couples but who knows what the future holds right? Thanks again Kamila!