Is this turning into more than FWB?

A little history first...I dated this guy for a couple of weeks in April, it didn't work out (I ended it), but we somehow became FWB. After ending the relationship, I'd call him up when I was in the mood, go to his house, and then go our separate ways.

Over the past few weeks, the dynamics of our FWB have changed. He is wanting to see me more and do things outside of the bedroom. (For example, last night he took me to dinner and a big concert.) Even the sex is different. We used to be like rabbits, but now we'll have sex like once during each encounter and the rest of the time is spent talking, cuddling, or out doing something. He'll hold my hand or waist and kiss me frequently on the forehead, cheek, or lips while we're out, and calls me babe or hun. He pays for everything too. It almost feels like boyfriend behavior, but then I don't hear from him as much as you would a boyfriend. (Once a week maybe).

Am I overreading these behaviors or does it sound like he wants more?

Sounds like he's dating you, but not at all exclusively. I'd enjoy it for awhile and see where it leads, but I wouldn't waste a whole lot of time on it just because he may have a hard time getting the "FWB" thing out of his head and taking you more seriously. But at least he's taking you out. If I were you I'd minimize the FWB vibe and just see if he ever brings up the subject about your changing relationship or not. I'm guessing once you are openly FWB with a guy, they assume they're not the only guy you are FWB with.

• Author

We've never officially labeled ourselves as FWB, but I assumed it was that since we only saw each other for sex when we stopped dating. I am kind of regretting ending it from the beginning (the dating part), but I'm afraid to open up about it since it was my idea.

If he does end up wanting more, would he bring it up or do you think he would be afraid to since I put an end to the potential relationship months ago?

So confused.

It's good there was no actual label as FWB. Because he doesn't know what goes on in your head. Yes, he was probably confused, but obviously you've come back from that and no big deal was made of it, so no reason to bring that up now. After all, you are allowed to date someone and decide to stop or slow down. For all he knows, you could have been tying up loose ends on an old relationship or dating a new guy briefly. I wouldn't open the subject. What seems to have happened is you spent enough time with him that you started liking each other and let's face it, that's how real relationships develop, no explanation needed. Enjoy each other. Don't try to move to fast. If he starts wanting more, I mean, he was bold enough to ask you out on a real date, so I'd say he's got the cajones to take it to the next level if it gets to that point. Just have fun and be lighthearted when possible. Guys just want a woman who's having a good time so they can have a good time too! If he ever asks, just say he won you over. He'll be so flattered.

If he continues to take you on nice dates and you feel like letting him know you're liking that, cook dinner for him or bake him some cookies.

Edited by preraph
  • Like 1
  • Author
It's good there was no actual label as FWB. Because he doesn't know what goes on in your head. Yes, he was probably confused, but obviously you've come back from that and no big deal was made of it, so no reason to bring that up now. After all, you are allowed to date someone and decide to stop or slow down. For all he knows, you could have been tying up loose ends on an old relationship or dating a new guy briefly. I wouldn't open the subject. What seems to have happened is you spent enough time with him that you started liking each other and let's face it, that's how real relationships develop, no explanation needed. Enjoy each other. Don't try to move to fast. If he starts wanting more, I mean, he was bold enough to ask you out on a real date, so I'd say he's got the cajones to take it to the next level if it gets to that point. Just have fun and be lighthearted when possible. Guys just want a woman who's having a good time so they can have a good time too! If he ever asks, just say he won you over. He'll be so flattered.

If he continues to take you on nice dates and you feel like letting him know you're liking that, cook dinner for him or bake him some cookies.

Great, solid advice! I will just take it one day at a time, without pressure, and see what happens. :)

• Like 1