I can't get over my friend.

I've liked a friend of mine for the longest time and a while back told him how I felt. He never really told me how he felt about it though it was pretty obvious he didn't reciprocate the feeling since, well, nothing happened. We still see each other almost everyday because we're from the same dorm and have a lot of classes together.

So, some observations -- he's become more thoughtful in small ways like he offers to get me snacks when I mention I'm hungry. That wasn't something he used to do. At the same time, he never seems to want to be alone with me. We used to hang out (albeit very rarely), and now he just makes up all these excuses (example, he has to finish his paper, we should wait for the rest of the group) when I ask him if he wants to get a bite to eat.

He's kind of around more, in the sense that he talks to me more and sits beside me a lot, but he just never seems to want to be alone with me. I'm extremely confused and I've tried so many times to just get over him, but when I do, he does something thoughtful again and reels me back in.

Extremely frustrating and I know I should stop hoping, but I can't seem to do that.

chimpanA-2-chimpanZ

His thoughtful gestures are out of kindness and (I hate to say it but you know it's coming...) pity. Good on him for being a caring and compassionate friend while also being clear about his boundaries. Chin up, girl, and start looking for a man who really wants you.