Why would a guy start buying a women gifts?

TigerLilly78

So as the title says im wondering why a man would start buying a women gifts and random things? im meeting a very good friend of mine in a month for the 1st time and for the last month or so hes been buying me stuff and telling me its for me when I see him. Now don't get me wrong its really thoughtful and nice but I don't really understand it never had anyone buy me anything guys why would you do this? up until now it hasn't been anything really expensive I don't think but yesterday he said he almost bought something that was kinda pricey again very nice but I def didn't ask for these things and it makes me feel kind of odd..tbh im not sure how to feel..

He may simply be a generous guy. He could be trying to buy your affections.

I'd accept the nicer motive 1st but tell him to dial it back.

FoolishMan

I have bought a gift for a female friend just because I felt like it. However, many gifts....

He could just be very generous but a little OTT.

• Author
TigerLilly78
If it bothers you you should probably talk about it with him and ask him.

Its not that it overly bothers me its just a new concept to me and I was wondering why a man would do this..

He may simply be a generous guy. He could be trying to buy your affections.

I'd accept the nicer motive 1st but tell him to dial it back.

Yeah I see what you mean I would like it to be 1st as well there might be more then friends there not sure yet until we meet so I was hopeing it wasn't him trying to buy affections ether..I don't want to feel like I owe him anything ya know..I got him something as well seeing as hes bought me stuff..

todreaminblue

it could be a courting ritual in some cultures and its an old fashioned one...but sweet.....i also feel if you are not right with this that you shouldn't accept the gifts.......you should talk to him and find otu what hsi intentions are

guys have done this with me before and its always been with a relationship in mind............when i have no interest i let them down gently i do not accept the gifts....if i am interested i tell them they dont need to spend money on me with gifts, that i dont need expensive things.........and i ask their intentions....when they tell me i tell them just take me to the beach.....its cheaper..and would mean a lot to me....deb

You need to Skype with him if you haven't already. He's probably older or not as attractive as advertised and trying to buy sex. I hope not, but make him Skype and don't meet him alone.

• Author
TigerLilly78
it could be a courting ritual in some cultures and its an old fashioned one...but sweet.....i also feel if you are not right with this that you shouldn't accept the gifts.......you should talk to him and find otu what hsi intentions are

guys have done this with me before and its always been with a relationship in mind............when i have no interest i let them down gently i do not accept the gifts....if i am interested i tell them they dont need to spend money on me with gifts, that i dont need expensive things.........and i ask their intentions....when they tell me i tell them just take me to the beach.....its cheaper..and would mean a lot to me....deb

I think you hit the nail on the head deb I think its kind of gifts in the hopes of a relationship. I mean like I say things are kind of up in the air until we meet its very nice and I don't want to seam unappreciative. Im just not use to it the 1st time I was like aww now this is the third time in a month or so and last time it was a pricey item he mentioned. I just don't want him to think he needs to buy my affections cause he def doesn't but I guess people show affection in different ways..

You need to Skype with him if you haven't already. He's probably older or not as attractive as advertised and trying to buy sex. I hope not, but make him Skype and don't meet him alone.

I've seen him on Skype hes fine I don't really judge people on looks alone anyways and I doubt hes trying to buy sex he knows im not easy like that it def would be a waist of his time..im not afraid of him in anyway but thanks for the advice guys..

• 2 weeks later...

I feel a little bit of uneasiness in some of the responses here.

Women holding anxious thoughts about accepting gifts from guys they barely know or have very little contact with. I can see how it can make a woman feel uncomfortable in a brand new relationship if his intentions aren't clear and the gifts keep coming at random. I have more respect for the woman who is honest and doesn't suck a nice guy into a gift exchange contest with another guy or multiple guys she's dating at once. It is also a guy's responsibility to use his head and do his homework about who the receiver of the gifts is and why he's buying them.

I have no problems buying a one-off gift for a woman I barely know without expecting anything back but a thank you. It's the thought that counts and feeling good about doing a good deed to another person. Whatever happened to being an honest, good man and doing something for a lady at random or in need who you just might never see again? Most amazing women remember the display of kindness and appreciate the gesture. Others don't know what to think and ask themselves a million questions why he's doing this.

Days, months or many years later when the gift comes back to you as a pleasant surprise on her part is one of the best gifts a man can receive.

It's a way for guys who are uncomfortable being straightforward to express sexual attraction. Like how the Mormons do this weird dancing because they're not allowed to be open and flirt.

I don't think its a sexual thing. I do think he likes you. I don't think I would be giving a woman gifts if I did not like her. For me unless its a B-day thing. I would not be like that as a man.

Tigerlily. For the most part. If you are single which I think you are. 90 % of the men that are around you like you romantically. Unless you have a male friend that is like a brother to you.

If you don't want this guy to view you like a romantic prospect. You can't do anything date like. So everything has to be more cut and dry. Coffee at Starbucks. Not dinner or walks in the park. If you go to the movies. Its an early movie and its action. Not a chick flick or any romantic drama.

• Like 1
  • Author
TigerLilly78
It's a way for guys who are uncomfortable being straightforward to express sexual attraction. Like how the Mormons do this weird dancing because they're not allowed to be open and flirt.

Ahh I got no clue on the mormons..lol But you might be onto something there he is very uncomfortable sharing emotion this I know so yeah..

I don't think its a sexual thing. I do think he likes you. I don't think I would be giving a woman gifts if I did not like her. For me unless its a B-day thing. I would not be like that as a man.

Tigerlily. For the most part. If you are single which I think you are. 90 % of the men that are around you like you romantically. Unless you have a male friend that is like a brother to you.

If you don't want this guy to view you like a romantic prospect. You can't do anything date like. So everything has to be more cut and dry. Coffee at Starbucks. Not dinner or walks in the park. If you go to the movies. Its an early movie and its action. Not a chick flick or any romantic drama.

Oh I like this guy very much and im looking forward to those "chick flicks" together..haha I guess it just threw me when he kept mentioning things he had bought and the last being kinda expensive.

I was sort of shocked and made that apparent and I also told him he doesn't have to buy me expensive things since then there haven't been anymore mention of "gifts" it is nice of him but I just didn't want to take advantage..

Ahh I got no clue on the mormons..lol But you might be onto something there he is very uncomfortable sharing emotion this I know so yeah..

Trust me, keep it that way when it comes to the mormons. I had to turn the PBS documentary I was watching on them off it freaked me out so much. :confused:

If you enjoy the gifts feel free to accept. He'll like it if you do. You're accepting his love. Just make sure to pay him back with something nice that he might enjoy. Doesn't even have to cost money.

• Like 1