Friends/lovers

Hey everyone I'm new to this but I need some advice. Please be honest there's this guy we been friends since I was 14 & he was 16 we liked each other for that long as well I'm now 20 & he's now 22 we've been through it ALL together. Stuff happened then he told me he didn't like me anymore. Like three years ago. I would ask him constantly if he liked me again he would keep saying idk we have to keep talking more because we had stopped talking for like a couple months then started again. Then He would tell me constantly to move on I told him I honestly wasent moving on until he tells me so he told me to move on. So I did but now that I started to move on & stopped calling him he starts calling me & when he would find out that I dated he would get upset. My thing is he tells me he tells me all of this but then he acts like he still likes me so I'm confused on what to do. And I would like to know as well after I treated him the way I did why does he continue to stick around if it was any other girl he would stop talking to them like that. Because he tells me stuff that goes on. But with me he doesn't do that he always says we will never stop talking etc... And he tells me he cares for me alot. I'm completely in LOVE with this dude like its a weird feeling I never felt for anyone else he's always been there for me he's respectful etc. now that time has passed from when he told me he hasn't liked me anymore idk if he does again & I'm scared to ask although I see it by the way he reacts to things. But I just wanna know why he still stuck around and didn't drop me like other girls ? And should I continue dating? recently he said to me oh why are you not doing what I'm doing by not dating anyone? And I told him I hadn't dated since last year and that's the truth. And he's a shy guy so it's gonna be hard for him to tell me if he likes me again because the first time he told me he was scared. I think about him everyday LITERALLY idk what do you guys think of this situation? Every time we stop talking because of problems we always seem to come back together. But now we are doing good no arguments or anything