Birthday/Christmas gifts for guys?

I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions, and maybe tell me what you think about the idea I have. First, I'll tell you a little about my friend Jakob...He's a 19yr old college student, who is really creative/artistic. He's into music and plays the guitar. His favorite band is The Smashing Pumpkins, but he also likes John Mayer, Jimmy Eat World and Coldplay. He loves animals, especially his dog.

He's always telling me that he really misses his dog, and that he draws pictures of her when he gets bored at work. So, I thought it might be cool to make him a calendar using pictures of his dog. That way, he could see a different picture of her every month, and maybe not miss her so much. The only problem is, I'd have to call his mom and ask her if she could send me 12 pictures. I've talked to her on the phone a few times, and she's extremely nice. Jakob talks to her about me (and everything else) all the time, but I've never actually met her. I'm just worried that Jakob might think it's weird that I'm calling his mom and asking her to send me pictures. I know guys can be weird about that stuff sometimes. I'm also worried that his mom might think it was strage as well! lol It's not every day that you get requests for pictures of your dog from people you've never met. Does anyone have any opinions about this? I was hoping to get him a unique present for Christmas that he would enjoy, instead of just a CD or guitar stuff. I'm sure I'll end up getting him guitar stuff for his birthday (in February). I play guitar too, so I know exactly what to get him, but I wanted to show him that I put a little bit of effort and thought into the gift, because I really like him. What do you guys think?

Why don't you just make him a calendar of 12 different guitars,musicians,artists - something like that.

Or you could try picking up a calendar that displays the breed of the dog he had. He won't have the pictures of his dog, but you can avoid the weirdness of having to call his mom since it sounds like you are uncomfortable with that option. But you never know, she may not freak out about it because he has talked to her about you and everything. Just call and explain it's a surprise gift and that you would seriously appreciate it if she could scan or send some pictures to you. She may have a great reaction about you caring so much about her son to make him a gift like this. You never know until you try! I think he would appreciate the thought and gesture as well. I really don't see why he would have a bad reaction considerring you are making him a gift with the picutres, not trying to find out info about him that he wouldn't want you to know. Know what I mean?

Good luck with that, keep us posted!

Oh and maybe as another present if you can find a stuffed animal that is the same type of dog.

• Author

Thanks for your advice! You're right, the pictures are just being used for a gift, and it's not like I'm asking for pics of him or anything. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be weird for him. But I don't think he'll have a problem with it. Even though we've only known each other for 6 months, it seems like we've been friends all our lives. And he gets along really well with my mom. He used to work at a store that my mom goes to all the time, and they would always talk when they'd see each other. My mom realized we had a lot in common, so she got his e-mail address and gave him mine. Pretty soon after that, we started hanging out.

Anyway, I really appreciate your other ideas also! Those are great! Thanks so much for your help!! :)