A friend that talks too much...

I have a friend that talks almost none stop. When I hang out with her and other people I feel obligated to aplogize on her behalf. She doesn't share any conversation well always bringing the topic back to her personal life, or starts conversations about her personal life that I sometimes feel are inappropriate. Nothing offensive, she will just make a random comment about wanting to date someone: a. with money, b. with a nice car, c. with a boat, etc. Or what ever materialistic item she is into at that time. She did this very thing the first time she met my BIL, and he later told my H she was a cackling hen.

Today, she came over to watch a movie with me and my husband. She talked A LOT through the movie (so much that hubby and I plan on watching it again soon so we can watch it in peace). She knows she talks a lot and I have mentioned it to her (telling her it seems like a nervous habit). She even had a friend she gave an "apology" gift to because they went to a bar and she kept the woman an hour later then she wanted talking the whole time...

I really like her as a person, I just wish she could break this nervous habit. Its like she is afraid of silence, which she mentioned she is when she is "dating" someone. I can't imagine what a guy going on a first or second date would be thinking...unless he chats a lot too.

With me she isn't always so bad, but anytime a guy is around she rattles on and on, even if its the first time she has met this guy. I know it because 1. she is nervous and 2. she wants the attention. But I feel like she is doing more harm to her relationships or potential relationships by doing this. I feel obligated to entertain her when she is talking, but then other people get excluded from any conversation - because the topics are so shallow. Which is odd, because she is really smart and could have a lot to say if it wasn't always about her.

It's gotten to the point where I don't want to invite her over when anyone else is present...

Any suggestions?

signedin2008

Don't worry about your friend, that's just a small problem. I think you need to hire a private investigator to follow your husband for a week to see if he stops by any motels while at "work."

In addition, you should get yourself tested for STDs.