He's Inconsistent

I was dumped by my boyfriend, but finally convinced him to casually date me. He says that he'll give me a second chance to prove to him that I've changed. We are getting along, but he only shows his affections when we're alone. I understand that we are not in a relationship, but I feel that he is "fighting" against a possible future relationship. He is distant and ambivalent towards me. However, when we are alone and intimate, he tells me that he cares very much about me. He knows that I'm in love with him, so he slight does have an ego. I don't know what to do about these mixed signals, but I don't want to push him away by not giving him his space. I don't want him to feel that I'm smothering him again with questions and my own needs/wants, but I also would like to understand what he's trying to get at! :eek:

I don't want him to feel that I'm smothering him again with questions and my own needs/wants, but I also would like to understand what he's trying to get at! :eek:

Sorry to say it but you're in a FWB relationship.

We are getting along, but he only shows his affections when we're alone.

I agree with amaysn... he is keeping his options open, and his fly half-unzipped.

After reading this, I'm wondering what went on in the relationship that caused the break up in the first place. You said he was going to give you a second chance to prove that YOU have changed. Did you really do something that caused the break up or does he just have you believing that it is all your fault? If you did do something then it sounds to me like he's going along with this "getting back together" situation so he can have a "friends with benefits." I also feel like he might be a little embarrassed of what happened and that is why he's only showing affection in private.

I don't know how old you are, but I can't understand why you would put yourself in this type of situation. If you have to beg someone to be with you and then they will only show affection in private, seems to me you are being played and wasting your time. You could do much better and find someone that will show you affection in any situation.