Hello, I'm a pretty petite woman. I'm around 5'4" and weight 110 pounds. I've fairly active and try to run about a mile a day with taking the weekend off. I'm vegetarian so I eat really healthy. I'd really like to get my upper arms more toned but I'm not really sure how. Any excercise suggestions or websites that may help with this?

Ross MwcFan

Barbell or dumbell curls, and one arm dumbell tricep extensions.

Use a weight low enough so you can do a high amount of reps for each set.

Not sure what the best amount of reps and sets would be, but maybe 15 reps and 3 sets?

Apparently boxing is supposed to be good, not just obviously for the upper arms but as a whole body work out system. Going to sign up to try this out shortly with my teen.

Read somewhere that boxing helps get rid of those few extra pounds that typically try and hang around after a person has dropped some weight... and is the ultimate method to get a toned bod.

Take care,

Eve x

Barbell or dumbell curls, and one arm dumbell tricep extensions.

Use a weight low enough so you can do a high amount of reps for each set.

Not sure what the best amount of reps and sets would be, but maybe 15 reps and 3 sets?

^NO pretty much non-sense and waste of time.^

Eve here is some better advice :

Pick up the book: The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess

And read everything on this site starting with: http://jcdfitness.com/2010/02/the-muscle-building-guide-for-women/

Ross MwcFan

Pick up the book: The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess

And read everything on this site starting with: http://jcdfitness.com/2010/02/the-muscle-building-guide-for-women/

I've always read that you can get toned by using a light weight with a small amount of reps.

Is this not true?

Long time no see GrayClouds. I wholeheartedly agree with your post by the way. JCDFitness is excellent.

OP: please note that being a vegetarian is not necessarily indicative that you eat the way you need to eat. Macronutrition still matters. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, but a sample of your typical diet would be needed in order for us to determine whether or not your diet is pointed in the right direction.

I've always read that you can get toned by using a light weight with a small amount of reps.

Is this not true?

It's not true. You might want to read Maximum Muscle by Matt Perryman. It's a free e-book, so you've got nothing to lose. He explains (in more depth than you might want at certain times) why the concept of "light weight pump training" is fairly useless for most applications.

A muscle either gets bigger or smaller. What most people think of as "tone" is a combination of low bodyfat and having a large enough muscle underneath to be "visible".

Heavy progressive weight training and diet manipulation is pretty much what it boils down to. Of course, there are many different ways to approach this, but many years of scientific research and "real world" results point directly to this.

High reps can help burn fat due to the greater volume generally achieved, but there's nothing magical about getting a pump that causes the muscle itself to become larger, stronger, or better shaped.

Ok thanks. I skim read the link and it seems to be a proper work out type of thing, which I don't think I would like because I am too lazy for all of that. My daughter is the same. I just want to go and do a planned thing twice weekly and basically be told what to do and be guided.

Neither of us are overweight.

As well as toning, the fighting aspect to a routine is important mainly because I want to know that my daughter can floor a guy if she needs to... :laugh:

H'mm.. she had a scary situation recently and I want to help her to regain confidence.

Take care,

Eve x

Ross MwcFan
It's not true. You might want to read Maximum Muscle by Matt Perryman. It's a free e-book, so you've got nothing to lose. He explains (in more depth than you might want at certain times) why the concept of "light weight pump training" is fairly useless for most applications.

A muscle either gets bigger or smaller. What most people think of as "tone" is a combination of low bodyfat and having a large enough muscle underneath to be "visible".

Heavy progressive weight training and diet manipulation is pretty much what it boils down to. Of course, there are many different ways to approach this, but many years of scientific research and "real world" results point directly to this.

High reps can help burn fat due to the greater volume generally achieved, but there's nothing magical about getting a pump that causes the muscle itself to become larger, stronger, or better shaped.

Oops, I meant a high amount of reps, not small. But I see what you're saying.

Ok thanks. I skim read the link and it seems to be a proper work out type of thing, which I don't think I would like because I am too lazy for all of that. My daughter is the same. I just want to go and do a planned thing twice weekly and basically be told what to do and be guided.

Neither of us are overweight.

As well as toning, the fighting aspect to a routine is important mainly because I want to know that my daughter can floor a guy if she needs to... :laugh:

H'mm.. she had a scary situation recently and I want to help her to regain confidence.

Take care,

Eve x

Maybe join a karate class. It will tighten you up and maybe learn a bit of self defense.

Is this not true?

As the Tman (howdy T) stated, that is old school wise tell. Muscle only grow when they need to and that is achieved by harder and harder work which basically means heaver and heaver weight. Light weight and high reps is basic aerobic training and really does not lead to muscle growth. Your body quickly adapts to the work.

And while the high rep/light weight can be aerobic, spot fat reduction is nonexistent (sans lipo) will not even help you much thee either if your looking to remove, say, the under the arm turkey neck flapping.:sick:

Maybe join a karate class. It will tighten you up and maybe learn a bit of self defense.

I wish I had taken up a some sort of art as such in my younger years. I have taken basic self defense lessons but that was a few years back. H'mm.. I will look into this if the boxing lessons don't work out.

Cheers.

Take care,

Eve x