Meeting people to date in bars.....good or bad?

alphamale

What is your stance on meeting people in bars to date? Have you ever had a serious relationship with someone you met at a bar?

What are the pros and cons in your opinion and what do you think of people who use the bar as their primary vehicle to meet others?

Illusion24

ALPHA..You're hilarious... :laugh:

But to your question...

What is your stance on meeting people in bars to date? Have you ever had a serious relationship with someone you met at a bar?

I have met guys in a bar but I can honestly say I've never DATED a guy I've met in a bar. It would be difficult to think that a guy would want something serious with a girl when he's trying to hook up in a bar. However, some people see bars as a social gathering where people go have a few drinks get lose and have a good time. Occasionally you meet someone really nice and the conversations good. But I do have to say their are some decent bars out there that I love to go to, their more like a Jazz bar and some classy men are there.

What are the pros and cons in your opinion and what do you think of people who use the bar as their primary vehicle to meet others?

Being in a relationship that started in a bar kinda makes you wonder if it will end there?!! If someone goes to a bar on purpose to meet someone...maybe they're lonely and have no one to go out with. I have a friend who goes to this really nice bar I go to and he picks up pretty nice girls...Do they last?? NO, but at least he meets new people. I can't really say the pros and cons because I've never dated a guy I've met in a bar but I can only imagine it won't work out. Unless someone proves me wrong of course... :o

blind_otter

I've dated. A lot. But NEVER a guy I met at a bar. Seems a bit skeezy. I've totally hooked up with dudes I met at bars. But never considered a relationship with them.

Now, I have dated guys that I met at parties. But I always knew at least knew their friends (because we were invited to the same party duh).

ALPHA,

I've dated lots of guys that I've met in a bar. Several of them have lasted years. Let's see... 8 month relationship, one 6 month, one 8 month (again), one 3 year, one 2 year, one 4 year and currently one 1 month. 2 of these guys asked me to get married, so yeah, I believe that the relationship can get serious.

Cons? Several of them had serious alcohol &/or drug issues.

Pros? I like to drink and play pool. So I usually meet people who like to do the same thing. (These are not my only interests however. So, this can also be a con if that's all that the other person likes to do.)

Is it my primary vehicle in which to meet men? Sometimes, but not always. What do I think of this? Doesn't matter.

I think people that go to bars as a means of picking someone up is just for one night stands. That's it. What do I think of them? They're taking a huge chance and are gambling with their life. They are no better or worse than anyone else who walk the Earth.......sleezy, skanky, and no regard to possibly catching diseases......but no better than you or I.

• Author
alphamale
Originally posted by blind_otter

I've dated. A lot. But NEVER a guy I met at a bar. Seems a bit skeezy. I've totally hooked up with dudes I met at bars. But never considered a relationship with them.

yeah B_0. It seems to me that the "bar crowd" is the younger, beautiful but intellectually-challenged crowd. Putting a huge group of drunk, dumb and attractive folks together into one bldg seems sorta scary :laugh:

I met my wife in a bar! I wasn't at the bar to find my wife either. I enjoy the bar scene and having drink, etc. So meeting my wife there only meant I found a women that had at least that similar interest to go on to start with. Never mind that she had a great rack and was gorgeous and meeting at her at a funeral would have still prompted me to pursue her. But meeting some one doing something you like to do whether that is bar, shopping, bingo...what ever, I see no harm in it! Cheers!!

My husband met his ex-wife in a bar. Nuff said. :rolleyes:

When you say bar...please elaborate....you mean a dance club too?

Originally posted by TUDOR

I met my wife in a bar! I wasn't at the bar to find my wife either. I enjoy the bar scene and having drink, etc. So meeting my wife there only meant I found a women that had at least that similar interest to go on to start with. Never mind that she had a great rack and was gorgeous and meeting at her at a funeral would have still prompted me to pursue her. But meeting some one doing something you like to do whether that is bar, shopping, bingo...what ever, I see no harm in it! Cheers!!

I'm taking a shot here, but were you there for the soul purpose of picking someone up?
  • Author
alphamale

I met my wife in a bar! I wasn't at the bar to find my wife either.

people do get lucky at the bar sometimes TUDOR and meet "the one". I think it is fairly rare, though.

I've met many chix at the bar but never dated one seriously or for more than 2 or 3 months.

Illusion24
I met my wife in a bar! I wasn't at the bar to find my wife either

I think he mentioned that...!!

• Author
alphamale
Originally posted by tiki

When you say bar...please elaborate....you mean a dance club too?

yes, any public place where there are singles and alcohol. you know, the pick up scene.

tanbark813

I meet girls in karaoke bars a lot. Some have been just hookups. But the girl I was with when I first found this site I met at a karaoke bar. If it weren't for her, I may not have ever joined LS. So at least I can thank her for that. :D

Illusion24
meet girls in karaoke bars a lot. Some have been just hookups. But the girl I was with when I first found this site I met at a karaoke bar. If it weren't for her, I may not have ever joined LS. So at least I can thank her for that

Amen brother Tan!! :p

Originally posted by Moose

I think people that go to bars as a means of picking someone up is just for one night stands. That's it. What do I think of them? They're taking a huge chance and are gambling with their life. They are no better or worse than anyone else who walk the Earth.......sleezy, skanky, and no regard to possibly catching diseases......but no better than you or I.

I thought that the question was about relationships that started in a bar, not about one night stands.

I've never gone to a bar looking to meet someone, it just happens.

Oh, and ALPHA, I don't know what kinds of bars that you go to, but the bars that I go to are certainly not full of attractive, dumb, young, drunk people. The ones I go to are full of a diverse group of people, many of whom have brains and common interests defined by the type of bar that they go to. Not to say that there are never any drunk people there... because there certainly are, in any kind of bar that one enters.

I was at a bachelor party, her at a bachorlette party. Our groups wound up at the same bar. Did I plan on hooking up with anyone that night, I wasn't chasing ass all over the place but like any other single guy I had my eye out. I like to dance, she was great dancer so we hit off. Got her number and we started dating. Didn't have hook up with her that night. We actually waited 3 months before I got any. But we were at that bar for similar reasons, was it to find out future spouse, I highly doubt that. My batting record at bars usually involved short lived relationships and more often than not a one night stand. So your right, it may not be common but lucky me it worked out! :)

I've never been ina relationship with someone I meet at a bar. Hooked up with yes. Dated no. I love to play pool and if I'm with a couple of female friends we always get picked up. I mean that's what the bar is for. hooking up not dating. Or at least that's what it seems like

Originally posted by NeverSayNever

I think he mentioned that...!!

No he didn't. This answered it:
I was at a bachelor party, her at a bachorlette party. Our groups wound up at the same bar.

I think we'll have a whole generation of parent's telling their kids they met in bars. It's like it's the thing to do now-a-days. It's much more common than it used to be.

I don't see what the big deal is. My wife and I still go to bars and obviously not to hook up any more but because we enjoy the scene. So what is wrong with meeting some one at a bar if it something you like doing? :confused:

• Author
alphamale

I don't see what the big deal is. My wife and I still go to bars and obviously not to hook up any more but because we enjoy the scene. So what is wrong with meeting some one at a bar if it something you like doing? :confused:

there is nothing wrong with it TUDOR. it is just that for many people the bar does not work too well for finding meaningful long-term relationships. and plus most bars are geared twds the younger 20's crowd. it certain cases it works, u are a living example. and I personally know a few couples that are married that met at a bar but most married couples i know met elsewhere.

I know what you are saying Alfa, like I said I had my fair share of one nighters with women I had met at a bar. But I fail to see the difference in meeting some one at a mall, grocery store, game, even church as different than meeting some one at bar. Your intentions when and where you meet people are the only difference. People are who they are no matter where you met them. A woman or man that will more than likely be a one night stand for you does not change whether you meet them at bar or some other venue.

Originally posted by alphamale

I am sure that there are many nice people at bars but I could not date someone that I met there because I would feel like he picks up on girls at bars all the time. It might not be true but I would be very skeptical.

Cons: You might find a total drunky :p He/she may be used or addicted to picking up in bars, You don't know them well enough opposed to someone introducing you to someone

Pros: ?

whichwayisup

Never 'dated' anybody I met at bar...Nothing wrong with it...Some are a hit, some are a miss. Crap shoot I guess!

HMMMMMM Alpha, :laugh: , YOU must be nervous for thinking of this question and posting about it. Where did this come from? :p

lol - my parents met at a bar in the 60s - my mom went up to my dad and said hey your cute and that was that and still married happily 36 years later - so i guess it can happen but things were probably a little different back then

I've dated guys that I met in bars - some were guys i also knew outside of the bar so i don't think that counts - but with guys that i just met at the bar usually ended up being one night stands, very short lived, or finding out after dating them for a couple times that you wondered what you were thinking in the first place (like the crazy guy after 2 dates saying how we were meant to be and then after telling him no to another date found my car windows smashed during the week - hmmm) Or you finding out that they like to drink wayyy too much and they practically live in bars.

But sometimes seeing people you already know at the bar can be cool - more of a relaxed atmosphere i guess - get to know them better.

Depends sometimes on the bar as well - there are your meat markets and then there are the bars that are more relaxed and chill - get to know the regulars, etc.