Replacing one addiction/habit with another?

Sparkling Storm

Sparkling Storm

I find myself spending a lot of time in this forum lately, reading the stories of others and mentally processing my own A. I'm wondering whether that's helpful for my recovery - a form of therapy and a way to avoid messaging MM. OR is it a way of wallowing in the A and just replacing one habit with another? I'd be really interested in your views...

I think it's a little bit of both. My reason to stay on this forum is to stay busy while I'm trying to keep NC...and yes, I am wallowing in my own pity but at least this time around, I'm accepting the fact that SOMETHING has to change. I'm tired of being unhappy. No contact day 2! I feel good!

• Like 3

That's interesting. I've been coming here off and on for awhile. The pattern that you seem to see is that people rely heavily on this place for the few/several months of NC. Then, as the immediacy of the A and the pain slowly subside, I think they see their reliance on this place as less necessary, and as you say keeping them dwelling on the A. It's a progression and everyone is different. At least for myself, I'm 4 months NC now, I find a lot of solace in this place, although I can start to feel it lessen as I feel less emotional attached to xAP and the A itself.

• Like 2