LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > The Other Man / Woman

Had Affair, Was getting Divorce, NOW


The Other Man / Woman The other side of the story: Support and discussion for those who find themselves involved with a committed partner.

Like Tree36Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2017, 4:07 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
Had Affair, Was getting Divorce, NOW

Approximately 3 years ago, I started a relationship with a married man and we quickly fell in "love". He left his short marriage, of less than two years, a few months after we were together. He indicated that his marriage occurred not because of love, but because of a both individuals wanting a life partner. However, he indicated that they were not compatible and even if we had not met he wanted to leave.

Shortly, after being together I learned that he has had multiple failed marriages. Five to be exact. This completely surprised me. But I saw something special in him that made me continue on.

I remained married and had been looking for the right moment to leave. I was diagnosed with a serious illness a few months ago and that really urged me to put life in perspective. I made the decision to leave. I haven't told my husband about the affair. But we both know we no longer make each other happy.

My affair partner became very distant during the week after my surgery. I tried to reach him by text and phone and there was an awkwardness to our interactions. I received news from the doctor and he wasn't there for me when I felt I need him. When I asked him about he said that he was going through some issues and didn't elaborate.

I ended up hiring a PI and found that during that timeframe and a few weeks after he went out several times to really nice restaurants. On one night he was at a hotel. I confronted him about and he indicated that he took a "friend" to the hotel and had conversation with them. He didn't bring them to his house because he lives with others that know about me and didn't want to start confusion.

When I pressed him more about it he indicated that he was trying to decide if he wanted to be in a committed relationship again or just date. He incubated that he had decided that he wanted to continue with him and I.

Fast forward a few weeks later, I had surgery again. He brought me to his house to recover for almost two weeks. When I was headed back home we got into a conversation in which he disclosed to me that he's attended swinger lifestyle parties in his past relationships and that he enjoys the atmosphere. He indicated that we didn't have to involve others in our sex life. But that he really fulfilled by being in the atmosphere and that he needs that.

So......now I am wondering who is this person. I feel like he should have disclosed this along time ago and do I even know who he is. There is so much I love about him and how he treats me. But how he's treated me over the last few weeks have been nothing like the last few years.

I asked him if he wants to be done with us....he keeps telling me know. When I kept asking him questions about the restaurant and the hotel he said he didn't want to be stressed and accused of anything so maybe we should be done. I told him okay. Packed my stuff to leave his house and then he stopped me.

I'm hurt, confused, don't want to miss out on the love of my life. But, I also can't afford to make a big relationship mistake especially right now as I am in the midst of a serious illness.

Should I believe that he would be content with just watching.....am I stupid to believe that he went to the hotel and only had drinks, smoked and talked overnight.

I do know that since I confronted him about the hotel the PI has not tracked him to any suspicious places.

He also won't tell me who the woman was that he spent time with. I do know where she lives because of the gps.

Where do I go from here.....
confusedcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 4:23 PM   #2
Established Member
 
smackie9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Surrey BC Canada
Posts: 11,586
LEAVE! continue going out the door! This guy is a serial liar/cheater. Now that he knows you are suspicious, he's gonna be extra careful, and spruce up his lies even more. How much more sense can I knock into you. This guy is trouble.
__________________

You are a fool if you believe that having each others passwords = trust.
smackie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 4:55 PM   #3
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,268
If you are looking for a long-term monogamous relationship, this guy does not sound like a good bet for you.

If it were JUST the swinger parties or JUST the previous relationships or JUST the suspicious outing with the friend, that would be one thing, but it's one thing after another here.

He sounds like he's seriously addicted to the appeal of New Sex.

Obviously I don't know him or you but based on the evidence I would guess if you got together he would quickly be chasing someone new.
somanymistakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 5:17 PM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
LEAVE! continue going out the door! This guy is a serial liar/cheater. Now that he knows you are suspicious, he's gonna be extra careful, and spruce up his lies even more. How much more sense can I knock into you. This guy is trouble.
You are right Smackie9....I need that sense knocked into me. I'm not sure if it is the cancer I'm dealing with that has my esteem a little lower and trying to hold on to something in my head that makes no sense or what!
confusedcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 5:20 PM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by somanymistakes View Post
If you are looking for a long-term monogamous relationship, this guy does not sound like a good bet for you.

If it were JUST the swinger parties or JUST the previous relationships or JUST the suspicious outing with the friend, that would be one thing, but it's one thing after another here.

He sounds like he's seriously addicted to the appeal of New Sex.

Obviously I don't know him or you but based on the evidence I would guess if you got together he would quickly be chasing someone new.

Chasing someone new is my fear. I'm afraid that his enjoyment of these parties is just the need for new sex and that I wouldn't be able to satisfy him. Hell, I'm not able to do it now because he wants to attend the parties now under the auspice of not doing anything.....just watching. He is about 20 years older than me and I thought there would be a level of maturity there for a relationship....but his pattern is to be with women 20-30 years younger than him and your though about new sex is probably what it is....
confusedcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 5:48 PM   #6
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,416
First things first, I'm sorry about your illness and wish you a speedy recovery from the surgery.

That said, it would seem that you trusted someone who should not have been trusted. You didn't really take the time you needed to get to know who he really is... and now that you know more, I think you are beginning to realize that there is a good reason why he has had five failed marriages.

You need to leave this relationship and focus on your own health and wellbeing. Best wishes.
BaileyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 5:50 PM   #7
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 57,487
I'm sorry that you have cancer, hope you're doing okay... Your health right now is the most important thing in your life, this guy is only bringing you pain and drama. He's not being honest with you and it seems what you're looking for from him, you'll never get. He isn't that guy. He's been married 5 times, (BIG red flag there) and seems to not want to commit only to you.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 7:09 PM   #8
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 274
Sending you all positive thoughts for healing. This health battle is your number one concern right now and while he has helped you for the two weeks after your surgery his behavior is causing emotional turmoil which is not what your healing body needs.

The Swinging lifestyle is for many just that--a lifestyle. Not much chance of that changing at this point in his life.

You deserve better, you deserve honesty, you deserve peace.

Take Care.
Doublegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 7:57 PM   #9
Established Member
 
Marc878's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3,031
Sorry but cheaters cheat.
Marc878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 9:19 AM   #10
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,168
Five failed marriages, cheated his way out of at least one marriage, likes the swinging lifestyle. There is no way in hell that this guy is going to stay monogamous. If you aren't open to sharing him with many other women then you need to get out of this now. I would also recommend being tested for STDs.
anika99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 2:31 PM   #11
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 565
Wow. He sounds like a real prize.

He is truthful with you only on his own terms and at times of his chosing. Some call that Trickle Truth.

Did he ever give you N explanation for 5 previous marriages? Did he ever mention any A's in addition to the 5 marriges that bit the dust?

I don't even want to discuss your post surgical treatment lets just say his
Bedside manner isn't taught at reputable medical schools.

Are you better off with or without him?

If you've read a fair share of posts, you'll note that responses often split into two camps. One is the "leave" camp and the other is the "try to recognize ncile
Camp". Here however there is a dearth of those suggesting try to reconcile
That should also provide a clue.
Bufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 3:26 AM   #12
Established Member
 
Miss Clavel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedcr View Post





Where do I go from here.....
you run, to the nearest exit.
__________________
take aim. reload.
Miss Clavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 6:23 AM   #13
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc878 View Post
Sorry but cheaters cheat.
Hence the old saying: If they will cheat with you they
will cheat on you.

A young man already divorced five times. Run Forest Run.
And cheat no more.
road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 9:28 PM   #14
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
He's not really young. He is 60 and I'm 38. But, I get your point!!
confusedcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 9:33 PM   #15
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedcr View Post
Approximately 3 years ago, I started a relationship with a married man and we quickly fell in "love". He left his short marriage, of less than two years, a few months after we were together. He indicated that his marriage occurred not because of love, but because of a both individuals wanting a life partner. However, he indicated that they were not compatible and even if we had not met he wanted to leave.

Shortly, after being together I learned that he has had multiple failed marriages. Five to be exact. This completely surprised me. But I saw something special in him that made me continue on.

I remained married and had been looking for the right moment to leave. I was diagnosed with a serious illness a few months ago and that really urged me to put life in perspective. I made the decision to leave. I haven't told my husband about the affair. But we both know we no longer make each other happy.

My affair partner became very distant during the week after my surgery. I tried to reach him by text and phone and there was an awkwardness to our interactions. I received news from the doctor and he wasn't there for me when I felt I need him. When I asked him about he said that he was going through some issues and didn't elaborate.

I ended up hiring a PI and found that during that timeframe and a few weeks after he went out several times to really nice restaurants. On one night he was at a hotel. I confronted him about and he indicated that he took a "friend" to the hotel and had conversation with them. He didn't bring them to his house because he lives with others that know about me and didn't want to start confusion.

When I pressed him more about it he indicated that he was trying to decide if he wanted to be in a committed relationship again or just date. He incubated that he had decided that he wanted to continue with him and I.

Fast forward a few weeks later, I had surgery again. He brought me to his house to recover for almost two weeks. When I was headed back home we got into a conversation in which he disclosed to me that he's attended swinger lifestyle parties in his past relationships and that he enjoys the atmosphere. He indicated that we didn't have to involve others in our sex life. But that he really fulfilled by being in the atmosphere and that he needs that.

So......now I am wondering who is this person. I feel like he should have disclosed this along time ago and do I even know who he is. There is so much I love about him and how he treats me. But how he's treated me over the last few weeks have been nothing like the last few years.

I asked him if he wants to be done with us....he keeps telling me know. When I kept asking him questions about the restaurant and the hotel he said he didn't want to be stressed and accused of anything so maybe we should be done. I told him okay. Packed my stuff to leave his house and then he stopped me.

I'm hurt, confused, don't want to miss out on the love of my life. But, I also can't afford to make a big relationship mistake especially right now as I am in the midst of a serious illness.

Should I believe that he would be content with just watching.....am I stupid to believe that he went to the hotel and only had drinks, smoked and talked overnight.

I do know that since I confronted him about the hotel the PI has not tracked him to any suspicious places.

He also won't tell me who the woman was that he spent time with. I do know where she lives because of the gps.

Where do I go from here.....

UPDATE: Today he tried to send me a pic from his phone and he accidentally sent another picture in addition to the one he intended to send me. This one was of a young one 20 years old that use to work for him. I asked him about it and he said oh it came from Facebook. I asked why would he have it in his phone and he said I have pictures of many former employees.....while I don't think that he's had a physical affair with this person; I do believe the photo was saved with unsavory thoughts....I have had enough!! We are supposed to be getting engaged and frankly I might just let him spend the money and leave him. Might as well leave with something of benefit....right?!?!?!
confusedcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Affair + SO PPD = Divorce? usmgold Infidelity 49 14th March 2017 11:43 AM
Affair, divorce, and saying it would never happen... lovinDKT3 Infidelity 31 29th September 2014 9:43 PM
Her [pre-] divorce affair vs my post split ONS and divorce R DKT3 Infidelity 240 27th August 2014 3:31 PM
Divorce/Affair Fog lastrayden Separation and Divorce 6 23rd May 2012 11:49 PM
affair? divorce? not really sure of much these days... delajoonal Separation and Divorce 22 21st April 2009 6:04 PM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 2:57 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.