I'm in a conundrum

I left my much loved job, in a hurry, as I had made the decision that I needed to remove myself permenantly from being the other woman to my boss. I was very sad to leave, I was well respected, loved and integrated into the company, and despite the job having problems - as all do - I was happy and challenged in my work.

I left a month ago. My xMM did not leave me alone, when we were off, he would hound me, and I would give in. I couldn't take it anymore so I created distance by leaving.

Fast forward to now, the new job is wrong for me career wise. I know I've made a HUGE mistake. I want to go back to work under someone else. I will threaten to tell his wife and friends if he persists and stops me from moving on again, but I want my old work back. This job move helped me put into perspective the pin of getting over someone who I work with vs knowing I've moved into a job that I can't get up for, and left a dream job in a rare and dream industry.

I would really appreciate support or advice. I can't think straight so I'm sorry if this is a bit rambling I just don't know what to do

MidnightBlue1980
I left my much loved job, in a hurry, as I had made the decision that I needed to remove myself permenantly from being the other woman to my boss. I was very sad to leave, I was well respected, loved and integrated into the company, and despite the job having problems - as all do - I was happy and challenged in my work.

I left a month ago. My xMM did not leave me alone, when we were off, he would hound me, and I would give in. I couldn't take it anymore so I created distance by leaving.

Fast forward to now, the new job is wrong for me career wise. I know I've made a HUGE mistake. I want to go back to work under someone else. I will threaten to tell his wife and friends if he persists and stops me from moving on again, but I want my old work back. This job move helped me put into perspective the pin of getting over someone who I work with vs knowing I've moved into a job that I can't get up for, and left a dream job in a rare and dream industry.

I would really appreciate support or advice. I can't think straight so I'm sorry if this is a bit rambling I just don't know what to do

This is why I have stuck it out. Let me ask you, can you go back? Is your job still there?

What would happen if HR knew?

Honestly, I would consult an employment lawyer.

• Like 1

How is he hounding you exactly? You can't block his calls and texts? I'd watch it with the threats of telling his friends and wife. It would not bode well for you if you're trying to get back to your old job.

Is it possible to get back into your career field without working under this man? Like a different company where you would not come into contact with him? If not, you certainly are in a pickle. You left your job because you couldn't say no to him. How is that going to change if you go back there?

• Like 1

I think you are moving into dangerous territory when threatening anybody.

Get yourself some legal advice.

Find out how you stand, since your were a consenting partner in the A. I don't know.... just thinking outloud.

Poppy.

• Like 1

This is a consequence of a workplace affair. Look for another job altogether. The further away from him that you are, the better. Getting in the sack with your boss is career suicide.

If you go back there you'd see him regularly. Why do you want that.

You've left. ... so block him. Delete him and move on.

imperfectangel

Just because you break up with someone doesn't mean your whole life should change. Men don't leave jobs/areas because of a failed relationship.

If that really is your dream job and you could go back without having too much contact go for it life's too short and we spend most of it at work

• Like 2

It sounds to me like a case of constructive dismissal. I'd speak to a labour lawyer and have them negotiate your return, reporting to someone else, in return for you not filing a case of constructive dismissal against the company.

starswewillnavigate
Just because you break up with someone doesn't mean your whole life should change. Men don't leave jobs/areas because of a failed relationship.

If that really is your dream job and you could go back without having too much contact go for it life's too short and we spend most of it at work

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

OP, just don't make any threats to get it.

• Like 2

This is your career and your life.

You already effed it all up once for a loser

Don't do it again. Get your job back, hold your head high and if he bothers you...file harassment charges with HR and get a restraining order.

• Like 2
This is your career and your life.

You already effed it all up once for a loser

Don't do it again. Get your job back, hold your head high and if he bothers you...file harassment charges with HR and get a restraining order.

OP,

If you do go back to that job working for same boss, you really do need legal advice. Threatening him to go to HR may not be OK since you had a consensual relationship with him and you might wind up in hot water also.

• Like 2
OP,

If you do go back to that job working for same boss, you really do need legal advice. Threatening him to go to HR may not be OK since you had a consensual relationship with him and you might wind up in hot water also.

It might have started consensually, but when he "hounded" a subordinate during a "off time", itmwas not consensual, it was sexual harassment - and the workplace owes it to its employees to protect them from that.

Like you I agree she should not threaten - but unlike you, i feel she should confront that head on and insist that she report elsewhere to protect her from further harassment. That is her right as an employee.

• Like 1
It might have started consensually, but when he "hounded" a subordinate during a "off time", itmwas not consensual, it was sexual harassment - and the workplace owes it to its employees to protect them from that.

Like you I agree she should not threaten - but unlike you, i feel she should confront that head on and insist that she report elsewhere to protect her from further harassment. That is her right as an employee.

Exactly. And just because a relationship was consensual at one point doesn't mean that he gets free reign to harass you after that relationship is over and you've asked him not to.

Also, never threaten. Just do it.

• Like 2
HappyAgain2014
It sounds to me like a case of constructive dismissal. I'd speak to a labour lawyer and have them negotiate your return, reporting to someone else, in return for you not filing a case of constructive dismissal against the company.

In order for it to be constructive discharge, the OP would have needed to provide notice of her claims before quitting.

The company will not hire you back. In fact, if you come forward with the affair, you'll never get back into the company in the future either.

Lesson learned here. As I've said before, one way or another, affairs with coworkers/bosses ruin women while men keep moving forward.

Suck it up and make the best of it. Put a year in with the new job then look elsewhere. Anything else makes you look impulsive and irresponsible.

• Like 2

I think the first bolded may well change once /if your affair is known.

Now as for the second ..... once you give in. ... you're consenting.

You should have done something before you left. Claiming any kind of constructive dismissal now would prove rather difficult, as it's his word against yours.

Unless you have written evidence of his harassment.

He could say you left when he dumped you, and you couldn't take his rejection.

Do you know if your old job is still open?

One thing for sure ..... is that taking this through any kind of employment tribunal or equivalent, will no doubt expose your sexual relations with him (and other men), by his defence lawyer. It will paint you in a bad light and getting a job in that rare field again, will not go well for you.

I wish you came here to ask before resigning. I would have given you some very clear advice and he would have had to back off or risk a sexual harassment claim.

Now as for the second ..... once you give in. ... you're consenting.

Fortunately the law doesn't agree with this. The law acknowledges the difference between submission and consent. A woman threatened with a firearm that acquiesces to rape is not giving consent, she is submitting, and the law recognises this. A woman agreeing to marriage can still be raped within that marriage. Consent is not givenonce for all time - it is contextual and needs to be renegotiated, especially if things change. Forcing someone to do something under duresss - with overt or implied threat (e.g. as their manager, their teacher, their priest, their doctor) - is still coercion, and submission to hat is*not* consent.

Unless you're the bill Cosby type who thinks if a woman smiles at you you're entitled to drug and rape her.

In order for it to be constructive discharge, the OP would have needed to provide notice of her claims before quitting.

I don't know where you are, or where the OP is, but this is definitely not standard.