boss's secretary is the other woman

[font=arial][/font][color=black][/color]

Ok - the other woman is my boss's secretary... she hates my very existence and takes any and every opportunity to complain to the boss about me, claiming, at times, that "everyone" in the office feels the same way she does. "Everyone" meaning the other attorneys, their secretaries and interns.

We work in a smallish office. She's been there for 10 years. I started a year ago, with no overlap of daily tasks. She's a legal secretary, I'm a licensed PI. Our boss is a criminal defense attorney.

It's a smallish town. She has spread rumors and gossip about me at the courthouse. I go to court with the boss and help handle the clients. She changes the rules every day about what type of notification she should get regarding the clients. I have complied every time, although I have expressed my frustration with her conflicting requirements to the boss.

She ignores me, will not talk to me, treats me as if I'm invisible in front of the other employees -- and has embarrassed me in front of clients!

My boss has talked and talked with her, but nothing changes.... I'm ready to quit. I'm sure as a licensed PI I can find work elsewhere. However, my boss has one of the best reputations in the state.

aaw, what an awful situation to be in.

Does you boss know the real reason why she is acting that way?

Is there any way to get legally back at her? (if this would not backfire on you)

I believe that spreading false rumors in order to ruin someone's reputation is an offence, but I'm not living in the US and you work for a legal office so you'll know better than me.

Ugh. I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Your boss may have a good reputation as an attorney, but it honestly doesn't sound like he's being a very good boss. He's tried "talking" to her? How about laying down the law about what kind of notice she's required to get, and telling her to keep her trap shut PERIOD? He is the boss, so he's not helpless to put a stop to those kinds of things. I hate telling people to walk away from things, and I wouldn't encourage you to just walk out because that's not professional. But this is hurting YOUR professional reputation. All I can say is that if I were in your position, I'd be job hunting in my spare time. Good luck to you!