Is He Playing Games with Me?

As I've said in my earlier post, as of about 3 weeks ago, my exMOM and I are now just friends. We don't hang out, just see each other in general where our paths cross. We are in LC, meaning me calls once or twice per week to say hello and chat. Nothing sexual and no planning to meet.

He ended our last convo. with "I miss you, you are my friend. I am smiling because I'm talking to you, and you brighten my mundane life." He whines a lot.

Basically, I've learned from reading on here "whatever..." I didn't respond except to say I was glad he was smiling. I keep my end of the convo. impersonal. Lots I've read on here has opened my eyes.

But, why is he telling me these things? He is the one who called it off bc of guilt. I said okay, and this time won't go back as I previously have. At that point in the convo., in the past I would have said "then lets meet as friends for a bit" and it would start all over. But I've learned he is responsible for his mundane life and its not my job to brighten it. Thanks to what I'm learning here.

• Like 2
ladydesigner
As I've said in my earlier post, as of about 3 weeks ago, my exMOM and I are now just friends. We don't hang out, just see each other in general where our paths cross. We are in LC, meaning me calls once or twice per week to say hello and chat. Nothing sexual and no planning to meet.

He ended our last convo. with "I miss you, you are my friend. I am smiling because I'm talking to you, and you brighten my mundane life." He whines a lot.

Basically, I've learned from reading on here "whatever..." I didn't respond except to say I was glad he was smiling. I keep my end of the convo. impersonal. Lots I've read on here has opened my eyes.

But, why is he telling me these things? He is the one who called it off bc of guilt. I said okay, and this time won't go back as I previously have. At that point in the convo., in the past I would have said "then lets meet as friends for a bit" and it would start all over. But I've learned he is responsible for his mundane life and its not my job to brighten it. Thanks to what I'm learning here.

It sounds like he's trying to reel you in again and at best keep an EA with you.

• Like 6
whichwayisup

He is not your 'friend' in the sense that you think or want. As long as it's about him and his life, his feelings, his desires, his ego stroke, then yes, you two are 'friends.' Trust me, if you need something from him, an ear - just to talk, I doubt very much he'd make time for you because it's too much effort.

He enjoys the attention you give him and he is getting something out of it. For selfish reasons, it's not innocent and platonic at all.

Being friends with an exAP isn't easy as you can see. Ask yourself why you allow such little bits and pieces of him into your life. Is it worth it? What are you getting out of it? IF you feel like you're being used or played then take as a sign that the trust isn't there and maybe it's time to think about finally ending it once and for all and walk away for good. Don't cling to him or have hopes that he'll be back in your life or be in your life on any serious level. DOn't invest your time, energy or emotions/feelings into him, he isn't worth it and you are worthy of so much more than he is offering you.

Get mad, get fed up and close the door. Let go and move on in the best way you can.

• Like 4

He's using you - still - as his ego feed.

He feels no guilt but you still stroke his ego by answering your phone and paying him "some attention".

What if you just never answered your phone again when he calls?

What about what YOU want - what YOU deserve?

• Like 2
  • Author

Being friends with an exAP isn't easy as you can see. Ask yourself why you allow such little bits and pieces of him into your life. Is it worth it? What are you getting out of it? IF you feel like you're being used or played then take as a sign that the trust isn't there and maybe it's time to think about finally ending it once and for all and walk away for good. Don't cling to him or have hopes that he'll be back in your life or be in your life on any serious level. DOn't invest your time, energy or emotions/feelings into him, he isn't worth it and you are worthy of so much more than he is offering you.

Get mad, get fed up and close the door. Let go and move on in the best way you can.

Thank you. I get nothing, really, except that he allows me to make him feel good. It has always been about him. I'm not investing anymore, although I'm afraid to let go. Why? I don't know. It's never been about me. He's even said to me our relationship was based on his comfort level.

• Author
He's using you - still - as his ego feed.

He feels no guilt but you still stroke his ego by answering your phone and paying him "some attention".

What if you just never answered your phone again when he calls?

What about what YOU want - what YOU deserve?

If I quit answering, he would quit calling. We were involved for 2 years. Once, I didn't answer for 3 calls, and he said if I hadn't answered, he would have quit calling. Another time I asked him if I walked away, would he fight for me. He said "no, I don't like conflict." That is the truth, he avoids conflict. I can now see he is an "I need to fix"/"I need to do..." person who prefers to whine and never takes steps to do anything. Whether M-related, job-related, or for pleasure.

He would say "I love you, but don't know what to do with you."

Edited by Daisy2013
Typo
If I quit answering, he would quit calling. We were involved for 2 years. Once, I didn't answer for 3 calls, and he said if I hadn't answered, he would have quit calling. Another time I asked him if I walked away, would he fight for me. He said "no, I don't like conflict." That is the truth, he avoids conflict. I can now see he is an "I need to fix"/"I need to do..." person who prefers to whine and never takes steps to do anything. Whether M-related, job-related, or for pleasure.

He would say "I love you, but don't know what to do with you."

You have all your answers, and in fact he is making it easy for you! If you quit answering he won't call anymore and make NC easy for you, unlike some of the other people that keep aggressively pursuing after NC.

Daisy your AP is like my xAP. A chronic whiner and unhappy person. Everything was a "poor me" conversation ... the glass wasn't just half empty, it was completely dry! Looking back, the conversations really weren't enjoyable in that last month. They left me feeling sad, empty, drained, as I spent so much energy trying to solve his B.S. problems and figuring out how to put a smile on his face. He is using the friends card as a convenient crutch for himself.

Ask yourself this. Forget about the attraction and A for a moment with your AP. Let's say you and I are friends (two women), and every conversation was dominated by my whining and you listening and trying to console me. Would you still want me as a friend? No, you'd eventually try to taper off contact and end the relationship, because friendship is a two-way street and people should truly enjoy each other's company. Do you really enjoy listening to him, or is it just out of habit and fear of letting go?

Take it from me, once you don't listen to his whining anymore, you'll automatically become a happier person. He is just a big rock tied around your ankle.

• Like 2

Tell him to go home and whine to his wife about his mundane life!! Tell him you could care less!! Consider him a lesson learned kind of moment!

LilGirlandOW
As I've said in my earlier post, as of about 3 weeks ago, my exMOM and I are now just friends.

I hate the whining! :mad:

But I've learned he is responsible for his mundane life and its not my job to brighten it. Thanks to what I'm learning here.

LS has taught me a lot too. Do I follow all the adivce? No. But I feel like I have more shoulders to cry on, and more than enough brillient advice. The $2.50/mnth to subscribe & help out is the best money I've ever spent! Cheapest therapy going!

affairaddict

They love the sympathy and Molly coddling. Presume they don't get it at home. I was free with it he lapped it up, admitted he liked it too .

Don't fall in to the "just friends" trap. Men especially like to call emotional affairs friends so they feel less guilt. He wants to resume the EA stay away

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you for you who have offered support and advice. It is interesting to see common themes intertwining and to learn from those who have walked this path. Every day, I learn more and grow stronger.