LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > The Other Man / Woman

Body Language: Kissing the top of my head?

The Other Man / Woman The other side of the story: Support and discussion for those who find themselves involved with a committed partner.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th November 2008, 9:59 AM   #1

Body Language: Kissing the top of my head?

Hello!

I have a keen interest in body language, and the one thing I can't quite figure out is what it means when a man kisses a woman on the top of her head. My MM kisses me various different ways, pop, french, etc...but one thing I've noticed a lot of lately is when I'm in his arms and we're reclining on the couch for example, he'll kiss me on the top of my head. He does this several times in an evening, often with his lips lingering there like he's smelling my hair...I find it incredibly sweet but not sure if there is some meaning behind it! How would you read this?

Thank you for your input
AutumnLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 10:04 AM   #2

I would love to know the answer to this too.
amaysngrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Established Member

That's how one kisses a child (here in the US.) So it's a sweet, nurturing, kind of kiss. It might also he thinks of you as younger or childlike.

Don't read too much into these things. I think it's best to just ask the person.
wildsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Owl
Established Member

Well, first off, he probably IS smelling your hair.

Second...that's often a 'fatherly' kind of gesture. He's feeling possessive and protective about you.
Old 5th November 2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Established Member

How absolutely adorable and sweet! I think that would give me butterflies, lol!

I agree with owl too, it's sweet and protective.
me4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 12:20 PM   #6

Thank you for the replies so far!
I realize that when it comes to topics related to MM/MW, this is very trivial compared to all of the angst and emotions that can come out of these situations. This is my attempt to just have a lighthearted conversation about body language.

I tend to agree that it seems to be sort of "fatherly". And he is quite a bit older and very tender with me. I have to say I do love it!
I sure don't want to ask, "So why do you kiss me on the top of my head all the time?" I don't want him to become self conscious and stop!
I don't suppose it means he "loves" me does it? Oh, wishful thinking...

What I've found to be the normal meaning behind kisses though you can correct me if I'm wrong:
Kiss on the forehead = you're my buddy / friend
neck = I want you
hand = I adore you
And there are many other types not covered. I just love this kind of stuff...
AutumnLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 12:44 PM   #7
Established Member

Journal Entries: 3
I adore the way my husband's head smells. It's the stuff he puts in his hair. I like it. So, I smell it and it makes me happy and I kiss his head.

Hmmm. Maybe it isn't that simple now that I think about it. I also love the way my daughter's head smells whenever I hug her. And she still fights about showering so....

It does seem like an emotional thing.
Hmmmm. I wonder my H doesnt kiss my head.
2sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Owl
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sure View Post

It does seem like an emotional thing.
Hmmmm. I wonder my H doesnt kiss my head.
Perhaps he considers you more his "equal" or "partner".

Less possessive and protective because he knows you can hold your own.

More of a 'respect' relationship, perhaps?

And...that doesn't mean he doesn't love you...its just a different 'view' of you than one from a fatherly/protective type love.
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 12:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnLove View Post
What I've found to be the normal meaning behind kisses though you can correct me if I'm wrong:
Don't think so, on this one. I believe a forehead kiss means "I adore you"
Quote:
hand = I adore you
Don't think so. I have had total strangers kiss my hand during introductions; you don't adore a stranger you have just met, do you?
Shygirl15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 1:01 PM   #10
Owl
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnLove View Post

neck = I want you
hand = I adore you
And there are many other types not covered. I just love this kind of stuff...
It depends on the stage of the relationship.

Kissing the hand or forehead can also be "testing the waters". Its an ambiguous, less threatening test of your boundaries.

If you have ever watched a group of sixth/seventh graders, you can learn TONS about courtship.

Men/boys go through a process of 'testing the waters'...to see how a woman/girl will respond to them.

Eye contact, facing someone full on rather than sideways, moving closer to the boundary of personal space...

...then stepping into the outer boundary of personal space, non-threatening touches to the hand/arm/back...

...then more personal touches to the shoulder/upper arm...closer to the torso...also stepping well into the personal space...

...next is a "risky" touch...to the head/face/brushing the hair back...

And the whole time he's watching her for verbal/non-verbal clues to her responses.

Which, btw is all tied to one way that many affairs get "busted". The affairees are together in a public setting, and their body language indicates where they're at in the courtship/relationship. Too close, too direct, etc...
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 1:10 PM   #11
Established Member

Journal Entries: 3
OK, clearly I am taking LS too seriously. I just called my H. I rarely call him when I know he is busy, so he always takes my calls. He was in a meeting when he answered.
H - "Hey babe, what's up?"
Me - "I was just reading an article about body language and I want to know if there is a reason you don't kiss my head?"
H- "I'm in a meeting"
Me - "Oh! I am soo sorry."
H - Sigh. I hear him shutting a door
H- " Probably because I'm not that much taller than you. It would be hard to kiss the top of your head."
M - "Right! Of course! Ok, see ya."
H-"Love you"

Do you see why I stay with this guy?
2sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 1:20 PM   #12
Established Member

awweeee

that's all i got to say

thanks for a sweet thread!!!
mytruelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 1:21 PM   #13
Established Member

2sure - LOL!

Yes, this place is intense. What cute answer he gave you!
me4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 1:33 PM   #14
Established Member

okay

gotta share mine. when my now SG and i first started getting close he had a way of just doing things out of no where...all of a sudden he would just reach up and brush my hair back. if i had dirt on my leg or shoulder or anywhere he would just grab a paper towel and wipe it off. he would all of a sudden grab me close and then let go- say nothing-and just keep going.

these are the very sweetest moments of my life.

awweee......
mytruelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 1:36 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
I don't suppose it means he "loves" me does it?
Nothing says I love you like divorcing his wife to actually BE with you. Failing that, all the different kinds of kisses don't really amount to a whole lot for you, since he goes home to his family when he's done kissing you.

I'm sorry, I know you are probably not wanting to hear that kind of input, but it's not a bad idea to retain your perspective on this relationship. Just imagine how wonderful it would be to get those kinds of kisses from someone who is free to be with you the way you want! And, ultimately, how heart-breaking to get sweet kisses from someone who has a whole other life and family that you are not a part of.
norajane is offline   Reply With Quote