What is love?

We seem to be having a debate in our house, and I was wondering what most people believe about this.

Is love a feeling or a choice?

crystal_lostheart

I think both.... We feel alot of the time but we also make choices when it comes to love. When you feel love, it's those hard choices and decisions you sometimes have to make that can break you heart.....:love:

showupbutbroken

Well said. Love means not having to make all the fun choices. If you really love someone, sometimes it means sacrificing for their happiness (i.e. giving things up, letting go). And at the end of the day, if you really love someone, you are ok with making those decisions.

We seem to be having a debate in our house, and I was wondering what most people believe about this.

I believe love is a choice.

AP:)

I think it's a combination of instincts. The instinct to give and receive nurturing, the sexual instinct, the homing instinct, the instinct to avoid being alone thus vulnerable to predators. Because we have the ability to talk, we can put those instincts into words, analyse them in depth and call them emotions or choices. I still believe that ultimately we follow our instincts in most situations.

GreenEyedLady

Love is a feeling...

The feeling of putting another above yourself...

If love were truly a choice, then would it matter who anyone married? They would just choose to love their mate, would they not? We would be back to arranged M's.

Saying love is a choice cheapens what true love is. True love is the joining of two souls. Likening it to a choice, as in what I want for breakfast toast or cereal, simply downplays the magic. And true love is magic.

GEL

Love is a feeling...

The feeling of putting another above yourself...

If love were truly a choice, then would it matter who anyone married? They would just choose to love their mate, would they not? We would be back to arranged M's.

Saying love is a choice cheapens what true love is. True love is the joining of two souls. Likening it to a choice, as in what I want for breakfast toast or cereal, simply downplays the magic. And true love is magic.

GEL

This is true GEL - i dont think you have any control over who you fall in love with, but it is a choice to follow your feelings and continue to love that person.

It can be magic, captivating and exciting, but it can also hurt like hell.

do a search on the OW forum for the last six months...we've had several threads along these lines already...you'll probably find some interesting reading in those threads

I think that is is a lot of things. Love is a feeling, an emotion, just like other emotions it can come on quickly or slowly, it can be felt intensely or softly.

Love is also an action, a verb, in the sense that you can act on it or not. You can show someone love by your actions towards them. You can act lovingly.

I don't think it's a choice though, although you DO choose how to act on your feelings. Like if your mad, you can deal with it by throwing things, or by taking space to calm down. Either way your still angry.

Emotions aren't a choice, what you do with them is.

~99

The Collector

Love is a stranger in an open car,

to tempt you in and take you far away.

Love is a danger

Of a different kind

To take you away

And leave you far behind

And love love love

Is a dangerous drug

You have to receive it

And you still cant

Get enough of the stuff

Its savage and its cruel

And it shines like destruction

Comes in like the flood

And it seems like religion

Its noble and its brutal

It distorts and deranges

And it wrenches you up

And youre left like a zombie

But also

Six foot six he stood on the ground, he weighed 235 pounds

But I saw that giant of a man brought down to his knees by love

He was the kind of a man that would gamble on luck

Look you in the eye and never back up

But I saw him crying like a little whipped pup because of love

You can't see it with your eyes, hold it in your hands

But like the wind that covers our land,

Strong enough to rule the heart of every man, this thing called love

It can lift you up, never let you down

Take your world and turn it all around

Ever since time nothing's ever been found that’s stronger than love

Most men are like me they struggle and doubt

They trouble their minds day in and day out

Too busy with livin' to worry about a little word like love

But when I see a mother's tenderness

As she holds her young close to her breast

Then I thank God that the worlds

Been blessed with a thing called love

Love is both a feeling and a choice.

When you fall in love you feel it, but you choose to express it.

When you choose to love someone one, usually its when you have to make one or when you feel if you should choose to love that person or someone else.

But really when it comes down to it, you feel it in your heart, because you choose to let yourself love someone...

"what is loveee? baby don't huuuuurt me, don't huuuuuuurt me, no more, yeah yeah" :::bobs head:::

I sang the same song in my head and now I'm annoyed. :lol

I agree with GEL, it's a feeling. I think we all make choices once we find love, but the love, itself, is pure, raw emotion.

BTW, I think to say love is only a "choice," is to set oneself up for pain. Because that means two people have to make the exact same choice all of the time. And we all know from our own human experiences, that as we grow, we choose different things. Love being a feeling is a constant. Love being a choice may change with experience.