Am I a magnet?

mistresswchildren

mistresswchildren

Alright, so my best friend is away in Vegas right now. Her husband and her always hang out with me, so when her husband showed up after work at my house with a case of beer, I thought nothing of it. I knew his friends were all away, so we are friends, right? He is threatened by his wife's friendship with me because I am one of her only friends outside of their relationship. All of her other friends are through him. I wanted him to be less threatened. I thought that if we hung out a little, then he would realize that I am as much of a friend to him as I am to her. I figured we could hang out as just friends and that he would go on his merry little way. He just needed someone to hang with. I thought I could trust him, and trust his relationship with his wife (mind you I was in their wedding).

The kids went to bed after playing with their adopted "Uncle." We hung out on the porch and drank. We played cards, and we talked about his relationship with his wife. We talked about my relationship with the xMM, and he told me what a pig of a guy he thought the x was. It was all completely benign. It was nice to think that I had a guy friend that didn't want anything more than just talking. I mean we even talked about the fact that he was beginning to think that he wants his own kids FINALLY (mind you this has been an issue because my best friend has wanted them forever). I realized I was getting drunk, so I stopped drinking. I told him it was time for him to get going because he had to be at work in the morning, and then he made a pass at me. This was not one of those little flirtations that could have been misconstrued. This was an overtly sexual pass. I told him to go, and to call me when he got home so I know he made it home alright. When he called, he apologized for his comments, and I pretended that I was too drunk to know what he was talking about. I "didn't remember" the conversation.

Not even for one second did I want to take this guy up on his offer, and I know that he would have regretted it if he had done anything (with anyone, not just me). I somehow just don't want to make this situation worse. I want to pretend that it didn't happen. The only thing about that that bothers me is, what if it hadn't been me? What if it had been someone else that didn't care about his wife as much as I do? He would have slept with someone if they had said yes. That bothers me. I don't feel that I can bring it up to my friend either. What do I tell her? Your husband came onto me while you were away (mind you she knows we were drinking together, and she didn't mind at all). Also, he could just turn it around on me and say that I came onto him. I cannot lose my friend over all of this.

What really gets to me is that I really felt that this was the type of guy that truly loved his wife. This man wouldn't ever cheat, right? He loves my best friend, right? Can I chalk it up to him being drunk, or is there a bigger problem there? Would all men, given the chance, cheat? I guess it just gives me no faith in men whatsoever. I know that I will never place myself alone with him again. I think that is just tempting the devil. I would never do anything, but I don't want to tempt him into making another pass because then I know that I would need to bring it up to his wife.

Is this about me? Am I a magnet for married men? Do they think that because I have slept with a MM in the past, that I will do it again? My morals have not gone out the window because of my past mistakes. If anything, they have gotten stronger. I will never be involved in someone else's marriage again. I will never again be the cause of someone else's marital issues. It just got to me. If anyone has anything to say, that would be great.

LakesideDream

MistressWithChillins,

Let me work on this a little. I'll bet you are a very attractive woman. Young woman. I'll also wager you are friendly and a little flirty. And you are "needy" right now having just crashed and burned in a relationship.

Am I close?

The Married Men in your life, at least the ones who are immature and have low levels of self control see the above. They see you as "available" and decide to add you to the list of their conquests.

It's not your "fault". You shouldn't have to live like a Nun in a convent. Trouble is, there aren't many men under 30 years old who have the self control to be "just friends" with any woman. I understand there are some here on LS who will deny this, however... in my experiance it's true.

If any of those men had the ability to look farther than six inches in front of them they would see that along with sex, comes the possibility of a lifetime of responsibility.

Oh wait... this is the 21st century. The age of No Fault divorce, morning after pills, walk away wives (and husbands) and no personal responsibility. I forgot, my bad.

Every attractive woman is a "Magnet"... when actions have no consequences.

Is this about me?

Yes.

Am I a magnet for married men? Do they think that because I have slept with a MM in the past, that I will do it again?

Unfortunately, yes. That is how men think. Once you've, uh, "proven" yourself in a certain role in their minds, you're stuck with it. In their minds. But I hope you realize that what's in their minds has no bearing on your present reality, or anything to do with who you really are... or where you want to go with your life.

My morals have not gone out the window because of my past mistakes. If anything, they have gotten stronger. I will never be involved in someone else's marriage again. I will never again be the cause of someone else's marital issues. It just got to me.

That's great, but the men don't know that.

I'm glad you didn't do anything with him. And I'm really glad he apologized. I think you both want to forget it ever happened. I just hope this doesn't blow up in your GF's face.

Yup, I'm glad nothing happened between you both too. I'd forget the whole thing (honestly, I don't think that's easy to do) and I don't think spending time alone with him would work for me the next time!

pelicanpreacher

I think he may have had this agenda planned out when he "showed up" with enough beer to ensure that you got inebriated and your inhibitions were lowered. On the surface, he may have considered you an easy mark because of your past relationship with a MM but, deep down I believe his attempt at forging a sexual liason with you would have accomplished his goal of "divide & conquer" to limit your relationship with his wife. If he is in fact insecure about how close you are to his relationship then successfully pulling this stunt off would have kept you in his back pocket to create unspoken strife and tension between you and his wife and an eventual drifting apart of your friendship with her.

Be very careful around this guy in the future.

Unfortunately, yes. That is how men think. Once you've, uh, "proven" yourself in a certain role in their minds, you're stuck with it. In their minds. But I hope you realize that what's in their minds has no bearing on your present reality, or anything to do with who you really are... or where you want to go with your life.

These were my thoughts too. Some people are simple creatures with one track minds. He knows you as The Mistress and that is that.

I would advise you to forget it happened, for now anyway.

I would also assume you are his closest female friend. If you spend a lot of time with a person of the opposite sex, and it becomes a very close relationship, its very natural to develop feelings for that person. For this guy, I bet you are his "other" wife. The one that is just like his wife, but without all the pressures and work that comes from his real wife.

It happens. It happened to me, with my H best friend. We spent a ton of time together as the three of us, and he developed "feelings" for me. Its not me he liked, it was the fact that I was really the only woman he was close to, could be himself with. Thats what he liked.

Your friend's husband was lonely, tipsy and made a pass. I bet he is Horrified at what he did. Ignore it, make sure you don't spend time alone with him and distance yourself a little. If he does it again, TELL HER. If he doesn't leave it alone.

Yes, maybe they assume you are available to be with married men because in the past you were. Well, now you get to prove their assumptions wrong. :)

Don't worry about it, you will come to see that you can only control you, not their opinions of you, and pretty soon one will start to match the other! I deal with this at work too, people assuming incorrectly that I'm easy because they assume correctly that I was with xMM. You know what I think about that? If the shoe doesn't fit anymore, don't wear it, and sooner or later they'll realize they had you figured for the wrong size of shoe.

And even if they don't ever realize that, oh well, all that matters MWC is that you are a wonderful person who has learned and grown from your past mistakes. YOU know you are no longer a person who settles for less than you deserve or who does the wrong things because you are too weak to change. You know you are strong and you have changed and that's why you should love yourself and say boo to the haters or those who think they can use you. You know no one can use you anymore, you are your own awesome person! :)

Best wishes to you MWC, your recent posts have been so down on yourself and I understand, I was there too, but it gets better. ((hugs MWC))

PS This guy's a jerk who wants to be a cheating MM-- great aspirations!-- I'm glad you recognized that and stayed away from him. See how strong and wise you are?!?! Good for you.

bentnotbroken
These were my thoughts too. Some people are simple creatures with one track minds. He knows you as The Mistress and that is that.

I would advise you to forget it happened, for now anyway.

OP,I can't tell you what to do(I would tell my friend), but maybe you should consider not hanging out with M male friends if their partners aren't around. I am not saying that you would go there again, but they do know your past and they may try to take advantage of it. Even tell a few lies to make themselves look better with the good old boy's group.

I deal with this at work too, people assuming incorrectly that I'm easy because they assume correctly that I was with xMM.

Ah. Sounds like we're starting to get to the real issues here... This explains a great deal!

Yes, maybe they assume you are available to be with married men because in the past you were. Well, now you get to prove their assumptions wrong. :)

Don't worry about it, you will come to see that you can only control you, not their opinions of you, and pretty soon one will start to match the other! I deal with this at work too, people assuming incorrectly that I'm easy because they assume correctly that I was with xMM. You know what I think about that? If the shoe doesn't fit anymore, don't wear it, and sooner or later they'll realize they had you figured for the wrong size of shoe.

I love the shoe analogy! Brilliant Nadia.

Mistress, you'll need to put up your guard a bit while you learn even more about yourself and others.

Just b/c my good friends husbands don't have the need to drop over w/o their wives, a small red flag would have gone up with the CASE of beer, so I would have proceeded with "guard up" mentality. I don't know the entire conversation, but there may have been hints and points that you really weren't saavy to then, but maybe in retrospect give you an "aha."

I told you that you will start to be able to pick the liars, cheats out easier and easier, but it will take time. Whether this was a one time drunken moment for him, or if he would take the opportunity with someone remains to be seen, but don't mistake him, or ever 10 more if they cross your path as representative of all men.

There are definitely many men who would cheat no doubt about that. But there are good guys too...have no clue on the numbers, but their actions and character will define them.

There's a married guy in my class and it's downright obnoxious how he comes on to one of the classmates that's known to be a mistress. She's younger so she thinks it's a feather in her cap! Although he is overly fliratatious with all the women in the class...making comments about how he can see panties and can't concentrate on a test if he sees a g-string...you know mature crap like that:rolleyes: Yet he's married w/2 kids at home...sickening but they are everywhere. Please don't loose your faith in all men just b/c you have to weed through them...you'll get it in time, you're already making the right moves.;) STOP being so damn hard on yourself!

Take care.

• Author
mistresswchildren

Just so you all know, him showing up with beer was not odd. We all drink all the time together. Not a big deal (at least in my mind it wasn't). I'm chalking it up to a mistake on his part. He did immediately apologize, so it probably was a drunken moment. While I will avoid being alone with him ever again, if he ever makes a pass at me like that again, it will be time for me and my best friend to have that dreaded conversation. It will suck, but I will not allow anyone to treat me that way again. One mistake does not mean that I will "spread my legs" for anything with a pulse. I feel disrespected, but hopefully it was simply the alcohol talking. I am sure that if it happens again, then it was intentional.

Hmmm....

Don't take this the wrong way, but something for you to think about.

Him showing up with beer isn't unusual...I get that.

But, you know that alchohol is a definite enabler for people to make horrible choices. If you drink often with this guy, that might be another "reason" (read, excuse) for him to try what he did.

Blunt and honest question...how often do you drink, and do you think you might have an alchohol problem?

I am NOT saying this is all your fault...not at all. But I'm curious how much of a factor alchohol has impacted your decision making processes.

There is so much in this situation to address.

The drinking is one. Past history as an OW is another. His feelings about your friendship with his W is another. And all are interconnected IMO.

He may not like your friendship with his W because he either had designs on sleeping with you or he doesn't like the fact that you were an OW and had the man's children.

If he had designs of sleeping with you himself, the drinking with you frequently served as a method of bonding in a non-threatening way.

And the past history as an OW with a MM's children is what it is.

While I know that you want to forget it, you won't and you can't. He apologized to cover his behind with his W. But when she finds out she will likely limit her time with you and him in the same room together anyway. The fact that you haven't told her what happened yet will also create a window for him to work on distrust from her to you.

None of this bodes well for you. But these thoughts are just my opinion and assessment of the situation, nothing more.

• Author
mistresswchildren
Hmmm....

Don't take this the wrong way, but something for you to think about.

Him showing up with beer isn't unusual...I get that.

But, you know that alchohol is a definite enabler for people to make horrible choices. If you drink often with this guy, that might be another "reason" (read, excuse) for him to try what he did.

Blunt and honest question...how often do you drink, and do you think you might have an alchohol problem?

I am NOT saying this is all your fault...not at all. But I'm curious how much of a factor alchohol has impacted your decision making processes.

Oh, I understand what you are saying, but an alcoholic, I am not. I actually don't drink that often, and when I do drink it is typically with this friend and her husband. If I drink, I do it maybe once a week. I never typically drink more than two. As you can see by my recent posts, last week was rough for me. I wanted to kick back and relax. Occasionally having a few drinks to unwind does not make an alcoholic. Trust me, I know. My father is an alcoholic and he refuses to admit it, but he goes through withdrawal if he goes for over 7 hours without a drink. I may have an addiction to Coca-Cola, but other than that and nicotine, I really have no hard core addictions.

Also, I will say that it is probably a little misleading to say that he showed up with a case of beer like we were going to drink the whole thing. He knows that I typically do not keep beer in the house. I just don't have a desire for it on a regular basis. So, when he showed up wanting to drink with someone, he knew that he would have to provide the alcohol. I just don't want you all to think I'm an alcoholic. I have enough other issues in my life, but alcohol is definitely not one of them.

hmmm, beer + wife out of town + wife's hot friend with history + how men think = Guy gets girl tippssy sex follows and alcohol is the excuse

sounds about right.

dilemma(is a problem offering at least two solutions or possibilities, of which none are practically acceptable), do you tell your frined or not.

I say let it slide, it would only do more harm than it was worth. Besides it wont be the last time some MM tries to pull that on you now will it?

I would say that your behavior is a magnet. We all know that anytime we spend time alone with a member of the opposite sex, we increase the chance for emotional bonds to develop. Add alcohol, and you're starting to play with fire. The fact that you spent alone time with this guy and drank with him, sent a strong message that it was o.k. for him to come on to you.

Untouchable_Fire

Just to add.

I would be fairly offended if a woman told me that she saw me as a nonsexual entity. I would naturally see that as a challenge. What guy likes to be neutered?

Thinking: Am I supposed to be glad that you want to talk to me, only because I don't want sex?

I'm not even sure how I would handle that kind of statement. Anyway, just a thought for nextime.

• Author
mistresswchildren
hmmm, beer + wife out of town + wife's hot friend with history + how men think = Guy gets girl tippssy sex follows and alcohol is the excuse

sounds about right.

dilemma(is a problem offering at least two solutions or possibilities, of which none are practically acceptable), do you tell your frined or not.

I say let it slide, it would only do more harm than it was worth. Besides it wont be the last time some MM tries to pull that on you now will it?

I appreciate the sentiment, but how on earth do you know that I am hot? I could be quite homely, and the guy was looking for a piece wherever. The other thing is that maybe I am naive, but is there no man on earth that will be faithful to his vows? Should I, or should I not be able to have faith in someone else's marriage? Just because my xMM was a weak SOB, doesn't mean that I should put that label on everyone else. I am strong enough in my morals now to never do what I have done in the past. That is not even the issue here. The issue here is trust. I should have been able to trust this guy to be a friend, not some a**hole who is going to come onto me. This is like trying to defend myself to someone that blames a rape victim for being raped, stating things like "She was asking for it." Don't put this on me, any of you. It really bothers me that no one else feels that I should ever be able to trust another human being in this world. It just gives me no hope for the future.:(

Lookingforward
I would say that your behavior is a magnet. We all know that anytime we spend time alone with a member of the opposite sex, we increase the chance for emotional bonds to develop. Add alcohol, and you're starting to play with fire. The fact that you spent alone time with this guy and drank with him, sent a strong message that it was o.k. for him to come on to you.

que ???? and where exactly was the little other voice in HIS head that's supposed to say "but hey........she's a FRIEND, and you're MARRIED @$$hole" ??????

Nowhere did I see MwC post she was holding a sign saying "go for it"

Ok,

This is what I'd do.

I somehow just don't want to make this situation worse. I want to pretend that it didn't happen.

Yes, I'd also act like is no big deal and just leave it at that.

The only thing about that that bothers me is, what if it hadn't been me? What if it had been someone else that didn't care about his wife as much as I do?

That's their business.

What do I tell her? Your husband came onto me while you were away (mind you she knows we were drinking together, and she didn't mind at all).

I'd tell her absolutely everything with details.

(He'll proably deny some or say he was drunk but I'd still tell her)

Also, he could just turn it around on me and say that I came onto him. I cannot lose my friend over all of this.

I don't think so.

This man wouldn't ever cheat, right? He loves my best friend, right? Can I chalk it up to him being drunk, or is there a bigger problem there?

That's their business.

Am I a magnet for married men? Do they think that because I have slept with a MM in the past, that I will do it again?

I don't think you are a magnet for MM. But the fact that you have been with one, in men's eyes, you can become some sort of girl of loose morals etc.

My morals have not gone out the window because of my past mistakes. If anything, they have gotten stronger.

Well, now he knows. He was testing. He even called to apologize.

que ???? and where exactly was the little other voice in HIS head that's supposed to say "but hey........she's a FRIEND, and you're MARRIED @$$hole" ??????

Nowhere did I see MwC post she was holding a sign saying "go for it"

I wasn't defending the man at all. I'm saying, that if a woman interacts with a man who doesn't respect his marriage/commited relationship, and she spends time alone with him and drinks with him, then something is bound to happen. Even a man who does respect his vowels understands that putting a man and woman in a situation where they are alone and/or drinking together alone, is creating an envirement where sexual and emotional feelings can grow and things can happen.

GreenEyedLady
Is this about me? Am I a magnet for married men? Do they think that because I have slept with a MM in the past, that I will do it again?

I am going to say this has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with HIM.

You are not a magnet. I would bet that many men are attracted to you but they don't stick out in your mind. It's the married one's that do. Because they are the ones that shouldn't be hitting on you.

Unfortunately, men make bad choices, and often feel the need to stroke their ego, even if it's at the expense of someone else. I think cheating has to do with opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if your friend's H hasn't hit on other women, whether they have been with MM or not.

You seem to like beating up on yourself. You're looking at your issues, which is wonderful. And I am sure at some point in the future you will be strong and know that the reason that ANY man is hitting on you is because you are beautiful and intelligent and they want to be close to you.

(((HUGS)))

I appreciate the sentiment, but how on earth do you know that I am hot? I could be quite homely, and the guy was looking for a piece wherever. The other thing is that maybe I am naive, but is there no man on earth that will be faithful to his vows? Should I, or should I not be able to have faith in someone else's marriage? Just because my xMM was a weak SOB, doesn't mean that I should put that label on everyone else. I am strong enough in my morals now to never do what I have done in the past. That is not even the issue here. The issue here is trust. I should have been able to trust this guy to be a friend, not some a**hole who is going to come onto me. This is like trying to defend myself to someone that blames a rape victim for being raped, stating things like "She was asking for it." Don't put this on me, any of you. It really bothers me that no one else feels that I should ever be able to trust another human being in this world. It just gives me no hope for the future.:(

I understand why you are upset here, but this wasn't rape. With rape, bounderies are completely violated, the victom is innocent and the attacker knows that he's forcing his victom into something he/she doesn't want. I'm certainly not saying this is all your fault. I think, though, if you don't want this situation to be repeated with other men, then you should learn from this situation and not repeat your mistakes. Men and women who respect their vowels don't put themselves in situations where things could happen. This man did, therefore he didn't respect his wife or his vowels. If you want to avoid these men or just these situations, don't hang out alone with these guys. It's as simple as that.