Is this the reason why MM's don't leave their M's?

I just read about Jack Klugman (who's 85) marrying his longtime OW. He'd been separated from his W since 1974 (!!) but never divorced her. Well, she died last year. So this past Saturday he exchanged wedding vows with his OW, Peggy Crosby (Bing's ex-DIL) who's been with him for the last 20 years. Talk about hanging in there!! Here's a link to the story...

http://www.hollywood.com/news/Jack_Klugman_Marries_at_85/5065854

Does anyone have any insight into why he would do this (not divorce; wait until the W dies)? Was it just to avoid paying the W alimony / getting half of everything he owned?

And what's with Peggy? Why would she hang in there so long?

I wonder if this happens more often than I think...

Any thoughts?

Friends of my parents recently divorced after many years of unhappiness and separation. The reason they didn't divorce years ago was because it was too expensive. It came to a point where they'd kill each other if married a day longer...:o

I think a large part of it is Money. It's also a Very emotional situation whether you want the D or not--it's Emotionally draining (per my dad whose been through two D's).

Daphne Crane
I just read about Jack Klugman (who's 85) marrying his longtime OW. He'd been separated from his W since 1974 (!!) but never divorced her. Well, she died last year. So this past Saturday he exchanged wedding vows with his OW, Peggy Crosby (Bing's ex-DIL) who's been with him for the last 20 years. Talk about hanging in there!! Here's a link to the story...

Does anyone have any insight into why he would do this (not divorce; wait until the W dies)? Was it just to avoid paying the W alimony / getting half of everything he owned?

Any thoughts?

Sounds almost like Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn. They were together for 27 years until his death in 1967. He never divorced his wife because of religion. I guess it's okay to leave as long as you do not get a divorce.

Why would Peggy just like Katharine hang in there so long? BECAUSE THEY HAD THE MAN AND HIS HEART. I guess when they took their vows until death do us apart...that's what they meant. Some people feel because they made a commitment, they have to stay. But having said that, wouldn't that commitment include forsaking all others. I mean I could be wrong. Any thoughts.

• Author
It came to a point where they'd kill each other if married a day longer...

:D:D:D:D:D

Sounds almost like Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn.

You know, this is immediately who I thought about after I posted this thread. I never read Katharine's biography but I've always wanted to. I heard it includes a love note she wrote to Spencer after he died, telling him how much he meant to her. I wonder how she handled it all? And what kind of advice she would give US?

And what kind of advice she would give US?

...but the delivery would have been priceless! :laugh::):D:lmao:

Any thoughts?

OK I've never heard of any of the people involved (well, I've heard of Bing Crosby I think) so can't really comment on their possible motivations, but what's with the Peggy chick keeping some x's last name for 20 years while being involved with another guy? That's surely just as bad as not giving the final heave-ho to an outgrown discarded W? There were at least four people in that bed at any time (five if you include the ghost of Bing...) so it must have gotten a bit crowded...

Lookingforward
OK I've never heard of any of the people involved

Jack Klugman was the messy half of the tv series The Odd Couple - surely you've seen it on reruns ? lol

I can't say I know the answer...

Interesting to know about this situation though... Jack Klugman is in a few episodes of the Twilight Zone, my fave show... he is a fantastic actor...

Jack Klugman was the messy half of the tv series The Odd Couple - surely you've seen it on reruns ? lol

Wasn't that Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau? :confused:

Sorry for the t/j

Lookingforward
Wasn't that Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau? :confused: Sorry for the t/j

No, that was the movie - Klugman was in the tv series and as a footnote the other half of the odd couple Tony Randall had a new baby at 79

White Flower
Wasn't that Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau? :confused:

Sorry for the t/j

You're thinking of the movie. She was talking about the sitcom with Tony Randall. The TV show may not have aired in the UK.

Sounds almost like Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn. They were together for 27 years until his death in 1967. He never divorced his wife because of religion. I guess it's okay to leave as long as you do not get a divorce.

Why would Peggy just like Katharine hang in there so long? BECAUSE THEY HAD THE MAN AND HIS HEART. I guess when they took their vows until death do us apart...that's what they meant. Some people feel because they made a commitment, they have to stay. But having said that, wouldn't that commitment include forsaking all others. I mean I could be wrong. Any thoughts.

As per the religion part... To be legally separated or legally divorced makes very little difference to religion specially if you are not living together as "mandated" by any denomination. Catholics, per say when married by church they have to also go through a separate process and request to be divorce by the vatican. One doesn't have anything to do with the other- legally.

Most do it because of economicall issues. They are too greedy, they are scorned, immature, too much at stake... you name it, just a not a win-win situation in most cases. Look at Paul McCarteney, billionaire and doesn't want to settle for what his XW is asking for. Now a jury will have to decide.

White Flower

I'm guessing Jack Klugman is Jewish, but I don't know what religion his wife was.

Besides religion, there are a lot of men who cannot stand up to what everybody will think of them if they leave, especially if their wife was a good one and well loved by all. It's cowardice. They fear stepping out and living the way they need to live in order to be happy just to satisfy a handful of family members and circle of friends. Sadly, their wives suffer, too, because they are not getting the best of their husbands.

danavladeem
As per the religion part... To be legally separated or legally divorced makes very little difference to religion specially if you are not living together as "mandated" by any denomination. Catholics, per say when married by church they have to also go through a separate process and request to be divorce by the vatican. One doesn't have anything to do with the other- legally.

Most do it because of economicall issues. They are too greedy, they are scorned, immature, too much at stake... you name it, just a not a win-win situation in most cases. Look at Paul McCarteney, billionaire and doesn't want to settle for what his XW is asking for. Now a jury will have to decide.

Actually Paul has been ordered to pay Heather Mills almost 48 million dollars. That works out to about $1400 per hour for a 4 year marriage. Far more expensive than Elliot Spitzer paid for his $1000 per hour call girl. Again far more expensive than having a mistress. A mistress for a rich man will probably cost about $600K per year. I guess with Sir Paul he will never have to go down on one leg again!

Jack Klugman was also the star of the show "Quincy".

I think he suffered from some kind of cancer several years back and survived it. I don't know how that would have come into play.

Is there really someone who has never heard of Katherine Hepburn!?

I have! I think she is gorgeous! So is Sophia (or is it Sophie) Loren!

Some of the other names mentioned, I have not heard of... in fact, some of the TV series were not shown here and I'm sure other parts of the world too.

Lookingforward
Jack Klugman was also the star of the show "Quincy".

I think he suffered from some kind of cancer several years back and survived it. I don't know how that would have come into play.

I believe you're right, Klugman did have a long battle with cancer (he was a heavy smoker I believe). Can't imagine being the long term OW in that situation.

Quincy always reminded me of my grandfather, who I adored, so I think I secretly had a little crush on him back in the 70s when I was about 11.