Can MW and MM stay friends?

Here's the situation. I was friends with MM for awhile (read a couple years) before anything happened. We are both married but in the same place, missing the sexual spark that are marriages used to have. We kept it as casual as possible, the affair was physical, but didn't take it to actual sex for about a year.

When I knew that I would be moving away we took it to the next level and had sex 3 times over the course of 2 weeks. Then, H and I moved away. Since then I've talked/emailed MM a few times, and some of those emails have had undertones, but for the most part I steered them safely into the friends zone. I don't want to rekindle the affair, but I do enjoy talking with him. Right now it feels probable that we can be friends and only friends, but I thought I'd ask "the experts" their opinions.

[ I don't want to rekindle the affair, but I do enjoy talking with him. Right now it feels probable that we can be friends and only friends, but I thought I'd ask "the experts" their opinions.

Isn't that how the A started in the first place? Why exactly do you desire his friendship if there has been just a small amount of emailing and chatting. What else are you looking for? A shoulder? I assume you still live a distance a way from each other. I would be very honest about what I was looking for and how it might affect BOTH of us before preceding.