offensive banner ads

VnusMars

Is anyone else who posts/reads here sick and tired of seeing banner ads for "meet sexy singles tonight" with a picture of a woman pulling off her underwear?

Considering the nature of this forum and the heartache some betrayed spouses are suffering because their spouses patronize such sites, I think this is highly offensive and inappropriate.

I've sent a message to the webmaster, I encourage others to do the same.

I know enough about website design and commerce to know these ads run on ALL Loveshack forums regardless of content, and the ads allow this site to run free of charge, but if the Webmaster can't prevent certain banners from running in certain forums, then perhaps the site shouldn't do business with those companies at all.

Others have complained about that very same banner.

On the other hand , there is really not many things I like more than looking at a sexy butt. I just wish she was peeling those panties off in my bedroom:laugh: Where, of course, there are only fantasies:(

One man`s trash is another man`s treasure:o

Is anyone else who posts/reads here sick and tired of seeing banner ads for "meet sexy singles tonight" with a picture of a woman pulling off her underwear?

Considering the nature of this forum and the heartache some betrayed spouses are suffering because their spouses patronize such sites, I think this is highly offensive and inappropriate.

I've sent a message to the webmaster, I encourage others to do the same.

I know enough about website design and commerce to know these ads run on ALL Loveshack forums regardless of content, and the ads allow this site to run free of charge, but if the Webmaster can't prevent certain banners from running in certain forums, then perhaps the site shouldn't do business with those companies at all.

Those banners are not ads for a website to learn how to cheat, etc.. You find way worse things on TV. No matter what he would put up as an ad-banner somebody would have a problem with it.

Really, at some point you need to get a grip with things. I've seen posts on here where people have cheated and are guilt-free and think it was the right thing to do. Are we suppose to delete those posts for the sake of the broken-hearted? You need to rise above such petty things and set your focus on more important things.

• Author

Television doesn't offer a 'safe haven' for people who have something devastating in common. Would you be so flippant if they played condom or Victoria's Secret or those 900# party line commercials during your kids' Saturday morning cartoons?

All I'm saying is that it's inappropriate, and it probably hurts some people who post here. I have plenty of important things to focus on, and I'm not being petty. It's a message board, I had a thought, and I posted a message...simple as that.

You don't like it, don't respond.

And if I don't like the ads, I'll complain to the webmaster and not come back to this website. It's a free country, after all.

whichwayisup

I agree with JM completely.

I honestly do not notice any ad's on LS. My mind just tunes them out. I keep reading some posters see very odd ad's, half naked ad's, I"ve not seen them! Or maybe Canada gets different ones loaded up, I don't know.

Try not to let you bug you, remember the help you're getting, the support. That is what counts, not the ad's.

RainyDayWoman

i am really surprised that people who who are so new here would get offended so quickly.....

in any case, ignore them. LS wouldn't be here without them, so take the good with the bad.

i'm with wwiu, i don't even notice the ads.

Television doesn't offer a 'safe haven' for people who have something devastating in common. Would you be so flippant if they played condom or Victoria's Secret or those 900# party line commercials during your kids' Saturday morning cartoons?

All I'm saying is that it's inappropriate, and it probably hurts some people who post here. I have plenty of important things to focus on, and I'm not being petty. It's a message board, I had a thought, and I posted a message...simple as that.

And if I don't like the ads, I'll complain to the webmaster and not come back to this website. It's a free country, after all.

First off there is a HUGE difference between these banner ads on here and advertising condoms on Saturady morning cartoons, unless you believe you, yourself are that impressionable like a child.

How does it hurt people on here? If you are that offended or if it brings back bad memories of your past, just based on an ad then I would really consider counseling.

It's a message board, I had a thought, and I posted a message...simple as that.

Wow.. so this message board is for only you to post your thoughts but yet when I disagree with you I shouldn't respond?

Well stupid me.. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I am definitely not tired of seeing this ad, no.

But if you are, and you use one of the newer versions of Mozilla Firefox (which you should anyway, for security reasons) you can simply right click the image, and block the content provider from serving their images.

I don't agree with your justification either. It's not as though they're Ashley Madison ads. They're singles sites for other singles, if you are worried that your spouse is patronizing those sites, then it's a problem with him, not the advertisement.

RainyDayWoman
"in any case, ignore them. LS wouldn't be here without them, so take the good with the bad."

And there ARE other forums that deal with infidelity and don't allow ads.

haha, yeah...so go there...what's the problem? i guess i fail to see the big issue here.

i can't stand people who want to change things for everyone when they can control it for themselves.

it's like the PTC...they don't want anyone watching nip/tuck because it's inappropriate for children...WTF?

this is the same thing...don't like it, don't take part in it. but leave anyone who does alone.

slubberdegullion

I find this somewhat amusing, because the webmasters here are obviously (and rightfully so) making a few coins off a racy ad. But an innocent avatar like lilmomma's just got pulled for being "inappropriate," even though it was a cartoon and wasn't nearly as provocative as the ad.

I guess it's another one of those Golden Rules: He who has the gold, rules.

• Author

Maybe now I'm sorry I even brought it up.

Listen, people:

I made an observation.

I realized that some Betrayed Spouses might have had Cheating Spouses who utilized these websites as part of their cheating, and that they might be triggered by that. You just never know what's going to trigger someone who has been put through hell by a Cheater.

And exercising my right to do so, jotted off a quick email to the Webmaster expressing this. It took 15 seconds, and I'm done. I'm not going on a moral crusade nor am I going to go around bad-mouthing anyone. This site and those ads aren't worth that much attention from me, and honestly this thread has gone on longer than it probably needed to.

You can think what you want about me - I'm neither overly sensitive nor on some mission to eradicate a thong panty from the Web. I just made an observation that for a forum dedicated to helping people recover from marriages damaged by spouses who ACTED single, an ad about sexy singles doesn't fit and might upset people.

That's it.

P.S. - 2Long ol' buddy, nice to see you again, been a long time since our days at MarriageBuilders, eh? I post alot at SI if you ever make it that way and want to PM me, at least that site doesn't need racy banner ads ;););)

and the ads allow this site to run free of charge, but

I'm fine with the ad banners they allow.. It keeps us on LS free of charge.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that LS is well run and they wouldn't put ad banners up that are in poor taste.. They flow with the attitude and landscape of LS real well

Just ignore them if they bother you..

:)

jen_jen_heartbroken

Keep in mind too, that many of these banner ads are targeted to the text of the page. For instance, I notice that weight loss ads and ads for Lane Bryant will show on threads where people discuss their weight. I suppose if we discussed dicing onions, we'd see ads for cooking and recipe sites.

I know this is a small sample who have replied but if most of us ignore the ads and the rest of us are offended, then what's the point? Sounds as if the advertisers aren't selling anything.

I'd be curious to know how many hits the sites get directly from Loveshack...

brashgal, I've wondered that too!

I understand that ad companies pay people to host their ads, but I can't remember a single time that I've ever clicked a banner ad.