MIL told me to FORGET the affair!

StillHurtin

My mil IM'ed me this morning. I told her I am glad that my H didn't get his old job back (long story) b/c the OW works there (different town) and she told me (her exact words) " You guys will have to put all of that in the background now and forget it." She was talking about my H's affair. How dare she tell me "forget it" She has NEVER had an unfaithful spouse. She has NO idea what it's like. When H had his A she was in total denial that he was having one. No, I shouldn't of told her but I did b/c I wanted her to know that her precious son was not as precious as she always led on to be (her only child).

She also needed to know that we were getting a divorce (at the time) and I was moving away. She told me that he would never cheat on his W, he wasn't raised that way. Maybe not, but he still did it. Sometimes I think she is still in denial about it.

UPDATE

Mil just IM'ed me and told me she was sorry for telling me to forget the affair. She told me that her H (second marriage, her first H passed away several years ago) told her that I just can't forget it. He knows how I am feeling b/c he's XW had an A. I am glad that my sfil said something to her.

i don't know if i would get my in-laws invloved (largely because i don't have any yet! :o ) but it's nice that they are as supportive as they can be, considering the situation involving their only son.

i think the important thing is for you to be supportive of yourself and your feelings. don't take anyone's crap. you deserve better, and things get better, than i hope it's everything you want it to be.

A mother naturally protects and defends her child. Hey, even Scott Peterson (wife murderer)'s mom has defended him. Don't expect justice from the mom. It's incredible that she even came around on this one, but I still think it would have been better not even to involve the inlaws.

• Author

I agree, I shouldn't of gotten them involved w/ the A. I was just so angry, and hurt, I just wanted her to know what he did to me and our children. She would of eventually found out sooner or later b/c I moved away. She apologized to me and said "I wish I could run into that b!tch and slap her but I wouldn't even know who she was." To have my mil say that is a real shocker b/c she is a Christian and to hear her say that shocked me. I guess it just upset me that she told me to forget about the A b/c she has no clue what one goes through when they have a spouse that cheats.