hmmmph....joking yesterday, 1,000 triggers today.

TheWalkingDead

TheWalkingDead

18 months in, and triggering a HUGE number of times most days. Does it ever get better or stop???

HereNorThere

Yup, Xanax :)

But seriously, time does heal all wounds if you allow it. The physical symptoms may still persist for a while, but you don't have to feed them with negative thoughts. Once you get a grip on the negative, obsessive thoughts, the involuntary panic will subside as well. One feeds the other in a vicious cycle until you intervene.

Look into cognitive behavior therapy stop thought/rumination exercises, panic attacks, anxiety, hypervigilance, etc. One my therapist recommended to me involves imaging a big stop sign as soon as the thought enters your mind. Either way, the answer involves FORCING yourself to stop the thoughts regardless of how you feel physically.

And Xanax :)

Edited by HereNorThere
  • Author
TheWalkingDead

Months of CBT didn't do squat except for make me poorer and my alleged therapist richer. The stop thought stuff doesn't work for me (it just makes me want to puke when I see real stop signs and turns THEM into triggers...seriously.)

I am sooooooooo screwed.....

HereNorThere

You are going to have to admit to yourself that you do have some control over it. You may not be able to control how your body reacts physically, but you can fight your thoughts.

If you aren't willing to put in the work, you are screwed. Trust me, I have SEVERE panic disorder and I make it. I've been through harder things in life than infidelity, but I'm not going to be robbed of my happiness and sanity.

Also, I'm only partly joking about medication. Honestly, benzodiazapines saved my life. I used and still use small amount of anti-anxiety medication when I need to. I keep my doses low and I do not use it every day so that the "magic" keeps works and I don't fall into the trap of addiction.

• Author
TheWalkingDead

I just don't know how to get control over it and there's just one thing piled on top of another. But....I've been alive and kicking for 18 months, so I figure life in Hell IS doable.

• Author
TheWalkingDead

Up all night...,again....what I wouldn't do for one speck of light anywhere....

Up all night...,again....what I wouldn't do for one speck of light anywhere....

Have you tried audio self hypnosis? Google Roger Elliot or Mark Tyrell surviving infidelity. Under 15 bucks.

I used them during the early phases to help sleep, to diminish the number and the intensity. Still trigger on specific things, but not so much just going through daily life.

Also noticed that during a brief (15 day) separation from the WS, I was able to clear my head a lot, feel better, reconnect with the world, move forward, and stopped panic attacks. This separation was motivated by having to leave town to attend to a family issue, nothing to do with the recovery process.

Later we also did a structured separation and again, a huge relief for me, because finally some kind of decision was made which had actual results.

This was part of the recovery and reconciliation process, so it was not about testing or punishing her, or showing her the door and letting her back in.