Things that every wayward spouse needs to know

AbeNormal

Abe, I haven't read this before and have to say, it is spot on and I think, should be pinned and maybe, other useful information too. If anything describes, with accuracy the turmoil and emotions of an A, then this is it. I would like to add, The Letter To a Wayward Spouse, which explains the need for truth. I hope the Mods pin this thread and others add to it.

This is a letter, author unknown, written to the wayward spouse. It's message is good and this has helped many.

"I know you are feeling the pain of guilt and confusion. I understand that you wish all this never happened and that you wish it would just go away. I can even believe that you truly love me and that your indiscretion hurts you emotionally much the same way it hurts me. I understand your apprehension to me discovering little by little, everything that led up to your indiscretion, everything that happened during that weekend, and everything that happened afterwards.

I understand. No one wants to have a mistake or misjudgment thrown in his or her face repeatedly. No one wants to be forced to "look" at the thing that caused all their pain over and over again. I can actually see, that through your eyes, you are viewing this whole thing as something that just needs to go away, something that is over, that she doesn't mean anything to you, so why is it such a big issue? I can understand you wondering why I torture myself with this continuously, and thinking, doesn't she know by now that I love her? I can see how you can feel this way and how frustrating it must be. But for the remainder of this letter I'm going to ask you to view my reality through my eyes.

"You were there. There is no detail left out from your point of view. Like a puzzle, you have all the pieces and you are able to reconstruct them and be able to understand the whole picture, the whole message, or the whole meaning. You know exactly what that picture is and what it means to you and if it can effect your life and whether or not it continues to stir your feelings. You have the pieces, the tools, and the knowledge. You can move through your life with 100% of the picture you compiled. If you have any doubts, then at least you're carrying all the information in your mind and you can use it to derive conclusions or answers to your doubts or question. You carry all the "STUFF" to figure out OUR reality. There isn't really any information, or pieces to the puzzle that you don't have.

"Now let's enter my reality. Let's both agree that this affects our lives equally. The outcome no matter what it is will affect us both. Our future and our present circumstances are every bit as important to me as it is to you. So, why then is it okay for me to be left in the dark? Do I not deserve to know as much about the night that nearly destroyed our relationship as you do? Just like you, I am also able to discern the meaning of certain particulars and innuendoes of that night and just like you, I deserve to be given the opportunity to understand what nearly brought our relationship down. To assume that I can move forward and accept everything at face value is unrealistic and unless we stop thinking unrealistically I doubt our lives well ever "feel" complete. You have given me a puzzle. It is a 1000 piece puzzle and 400 random pieces are missing. You expect me to assemble the puzzle without the benefit of looking at the picture on the box. You expect me to be able to discern what I am looking at and to appreciate it in the same context as you. You want me to be as comfortable with what I see in the picture as you are. When I ask if there was a tree in such and such area of the picture you tell me don't worry about it, it's not important. When I ask whether there were any animals in my puzzle you say don't worry about it, it's not important. When I ask if there was a lake in that big empty spot in my puzzle you say, what's the difference, it's not important.

Then later when I'm expected to "understand" the picture in my puzzle you fail to understand my disorientation and confusion. You expect me to feel the same way about the picture as you do but deny me the same view as you. When I express this problem you feel compelled to admonish me for not understanding it, for not seeing it the way you see it. You wonder why I can't just accept whatever you chose to describe to me about the picture and then be able to feel the same way you feel about it.

"So, you want me to be okay with everything. You think you deserve to know and I deserve to wonder. You may honestly feel that the whole picture, everything that happened is insignificant because in your heart you know it was a mistake and wish it never happened. But how can I know that? Faith? Because you told me so? Would you have faith if the tables were turned? Don't you understand that I want to believe you completely? But how can I? I can never know what is truly in your mind and heart. I can only observe your actions, and what information I have acquired and slowly, over time rebuild my faith in your feelings. I truly wish it were easier.

"So, there it is, as best as I can put it. That is why I ask questions. That is where my need to know is derived from. And that is why it is unfair for you to think that we can effectively move forward and unfair for you to accuse me of dwelling on the past. My need to know stems from my desire to hold our world together. It doesn't come from jealousy, it doesn't come from spitefulness, and it doesn't come from a desire to make you suffer. It comes from the fact that I love you. Why else would I put myself through this? Wouldn't it be easier for me to walk away? Wouldn't it be easier to consider our relationship a bad mistake in my life and to move on to better horizons? Of course it would, but I can't and the reason I can't is because I love you and that reason in itself makes all the difference in the world."

• Like 20
  • Author

Thanks so much for posting the “letter to a wayward spouse”. While I had seen reference to that many times, I had not actually read it prior to your post. Thanks again.

Edited by AbeNormal

LOL! I can tell I've been obsessing too much on this subject as I have read both of those and forwarded them to H :D Both say it really well but I liked Joseph's letter better (the second one) as it seems more succint.

I think it's important the WS understands the impact of their actions from an outside source - H isn't big on showing emotions so I worried he thought i was being a drama queen (hell I felt like I was being a drama queen!) but seeing it written down from two different total strangers made it clear that it wasn't just me.

• Like 3

I found both of these soon after dday and thought they were brilliant in summing up what I felt and what I needed to know and why, and the rollercoaster of emotions crashing around me.

I hope the mods pin it too.

• Like 2
CantgetoveritNY

Thanks so much for posting this. I saw it somewhere before and it was right after D day, months ago. At the time my WW was not willing to do much of anything toward reconciliation other than be NC with the MM. I certainly did not expect that she would read this whole thing and even if she did she would not take more that 10% of it to heart. So at that time I cut and pasted the bit about being an open book. Phone, email, everything. That was the most important thing to me that she was refusing me at that time. She read it and then let me have that access. So a few months ago when I felt she was ready for the rest of this I went looking for it and could not find it! I really searched hard. Thanks for posting this now. I'm sending it to her today. I'm sure it will help us a lot.

For me, both of these were tremendously helpful in helping me to realize that my emotions were not insane and that everything I was feeling/have been feeling are very typical. I also forwarded both to my H at different points over the last few months and he said that he thought both were very powerful in helping him to understand the depth of my emotions. While he hasn't admitted this, I also would harbor a guess that it may have helped him realize just how "typical" my reactions were, which eliminated his ability to discount anything to craziness and may have helped him accept just how much pain had been caused. Both I think helped us realize just how incredibly difficult it will be to reconcile and just how much work it was going to take to even give reconciliation the slightest effort.

I think I can also tell in the number of out-of-the-blue "I'm sorrys" I get and other things that he took a lot of this to heart, which is important. If he had reacted negatively to receiving either of these and didn't really think about the words, boy would that've been a great indicator that his colossal selfishness still abounds!

Edited by StormySeas
Bad grammar
  • Like 1

As you watch them sink lower and lower, wallowing in an emotional abyss, you wonder where the bottom is, when they will hit it, and if they will ever ascend from it and return to “normal.” You ask yourself, “Is this real?” Then you ask, “Will this ever end?”

The simple answers are: Yes, it is real. And, yes, it will end.

This is true, it will end if a couple decides to stay together with regards to anger and emotions bubbling to the surface.

But make no mistake, just because the WS no longer has to be on the receiving end of the anger they caused the BS after a long period of time, you can rest assured that if a WS looks at the BS they should also know that their BS WILL from time to time think about what they did to them and they WILL get angry. They will just choose to bottle it up.

So yes, after a period of time the WS gets to have it easy again, not so much for the BS.

I'm not saying the BS will be utterly tortured for the rest of their lives, but as you said, they will never forget.

I'm also not saying that things can't, for the most part, be put out of the BS's mind and that some sort of normal daily life with the WS can't resume. I think it can. But it just seems that this focuses too much on the WS being able to rest easy while the BS still gets the mind movies from time to time.

It also doesn't touch, what I believe to be a fact, that the WS, while never admitting it, will look back on their affair, sex with the AP, whatever, from time to time with great fondness.

Edited by nofool4u
  • Like 3
CantgetoveritNY

It also doesn't touch, what I believe to be a fact, that the WS, while never admitting it, will look back on their affair, sex with the AP, whatever, from time to time with great fondness.

I believe this is true. Ugh!

• Like 1

Hmmm....this is a sticking point for me. For too people who normally share everything to view this particular event from two such opposing viewpoints is very hard. For me it's all about pain and humiliation and shock. For him there is a lot of remorse and regret but yes, also pleasurable memories, why wouldn't there be?

Shirley Glass touches on this in her book - something about trying to see the affair (and the AP) from nearer the other's POV if you are to hope to reconcile. I have tried - I can fully admit it must have been a huge ego boost for H and exciting etc and he has been able to see my pain and realise it was simply a ****ty cruel thing to do. I think that is as far as we are going to get or now.

• Like 1
Ninja'sHusband

Good article.

I would like to have seen more on "no contact" though. You should not put your self in a position where you would be around the AP, and if they contact you, notify your BS immediately. This may mean quitting jobs, classes, or even moving.

• Like 1

As a fWS who has successfully reconciled, I can see a lot of truth in the OP including what is needed for a chance at reconciliation.

However this suggestion:

is not always true. It's certainly not true in my case.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

It's going on two years now since I was cheated on and still feels like I just found out yesterday sometimes. I had never seen this before today and even now it was so relieving to see that everything I went through and still deal with in recovery is normal.

Being cheated on by someone you love and trust is truly a traumatic experience. Thank you for spreading this excerpt.

• Like 3

The majority of the time spent reading this, I kept saying to myself "no." I could never give a WS a second chance. I wouldn't want her anywhere near me after having an affair. Holding the betrayed spouse while they cry? Really? No, more like you'd better get away from me. It's wonderful if anyone can find an ounce of comfort in this information, but it, in my opinion, is just a self-help manual for betrayers who get caught and want to stay with their wives/husbands because the one they cheated with isn't relationship material. If they were, they'd be with them legitimately. An alternate title for this could be "How to Weasel Your Way Back In After The Fun Is Over."

• Like 8
As a fWS who has successfully reconciled, I can see a lot of truth in the OP including what is needed for a chance at reconciliation.

However this suggestion:

is not always true. It's certainly not true in my case.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but I think it is few and far between and shouldn't be the problem of the BS to wonder if fond memories of the affair are being had.

Which will bring me back to my feelings on the matter, why keep a cheater when either way you go it sucks to have to think about what the WS did, will do again, or thinks.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
Bittersweetie

I wanted to point out a recent thread that I thought would be helpful to wayward spouses because I think sometimes WS may not fully grasp this aspect of the betrayal. As a WS, this thread really hit home for me as my H made a life decision during the time I was in my A. He actually told me later he would have made a different choice if he had known. I know many WS don't want to tell because they don't want to hurt their spouse...but have you (WS) ever thought about the decisions your spouse is making based on the life they think they're living, which is not the truth?

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/romantic/marriage-life-partnerships/infidelity/368994-does-one-feel-robbed-burglarized-infidelity

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping thread to re-open for topical responses regarding resources and information a wayward spouse may find valuable. Remember, no member arguing in here. Sanctions for that are stronger now. Save it for PM's or other discussion threads and preserve your posting privileges. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Bittersweetie
I wanted to point out a recent thread that I thought would be helpful to wayward spouses because I think sometimes WS may not fully grasp this aspect of the betrayal. As a WS, this thread really hit home for me as my H made a life decision during the time I was in my A. He actually told me later he would have made a different choice if he had known. I know many WS don't want to tell because they don't want to hurt their spouse...but have you (WS) ever thought about the decisions your spouse is making based on the life they think they're living, which is not the truth?

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/romantic/marriage-life-partnerships/infidelity/368994-does-one-feel-robbed-burglarized-infidelity

I just wanted to comment on my post that, unfortunately, this thread no longer exists on Love Shack. I thought it was an important read for WS in that it pointed out instances where BS felt "robbed" by their WS during the A.

Examples that I can remember:

- holidays/vacations when they thought WS was with them, but was texting or email their AP

- life decisions they made regarding careers, children, etc based on the fact they thought they had an exclusive marriage

- other memories that are now "tainted" because the WS was speaking with or saw the AP during that time

Just food for thought, thanks.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...