LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Marriage & Life Partnerships > Infidelity

Cheating & Mental Illness.

Infidelity In an affair or suspect your significant other? Share your experiences and concerns here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2007, 11:40 AM   #1
Established Member

Cheating & Mental Illness.

I'm no doctor or professional in this area. I've been through some of the worst marital issues one can experience and I've been betrayed thoroughly.

I'm beginning to develope a loose theory about adultry/infidelity. I think honestly that you must be out of your mind to betray someone close to you as your spouse. Litterally mentally ill.

Now, I know that there are situations where there is physical abuse and psychological abuse (I'm talking about real psychological abuse, not the petty accusitory or lazy kind) verbal abuse, child molestation within the family and other kinds of things that contribute to the other spouse seeking for someone better or to be rescued from a very bad situation.

Lets talk about two people in a seemingly good marriage, and I read alot about these kinds of situations on the site (usually from the end of the unfaithful spouse in the brinks of indecision) a good marriage that has all the promising factors to last a lifetime, and one just isn't fulfilled. They find another person after the honeymoon phase of the marriage ends (naturally) and the next thing you know, lives are ruined for no reason at all other than one persons seemingly compulsive need for alien affection.

Any ideas, opinions or insight?
ARDriver01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Established Member

Armchair psychology is a dangerous thing.
Old 25th July 2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Established Member

Journal Entries: 8
good old-fashioned adultery is not about mental illness, but about consciously deciding to indulge in a relationship outside the marriage, whether it's for love, lust, attraction, vanity, power, whatever, because one person feels he or she is not getting "something" from his/her partner.

mental illness, on the other hand, can cause one make choices that are "normally him/her" it can cause you to second-guess the very things you love and walk away from them because you find yourself disassociating from them. At least this is what I've discovered from bouts of depression. A good regime of the right medicines can bring your blood chemistry back into whack and your behavior more or less straightens itself out, again, something I've discovered from experience.

however, someone who is bi-polar or is affected by a compounded mental illness may respond differently than the person who just needs a little medicinal "tweak" to get blood-chem straightened out, and most often has lived with their condition for a while. So, they may have embraced or adopted certain behaviors from the get-go that are harmful to themselves as well as to others.

you can't really say that all cheaters have mental health issues, and not all people with mental health issues cheat. Sometimes, there comes a case where both elements are present, but it's not really the rule.
quankanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Established Member

Infidelity isn't mental illness.

Its just the sign of someone who isn't worth 2 squirts of piss.
bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 2:12 PM   #5
Established Member

I wouldn't go all the way to mental illness but it sure is weak, gutless, and cowardly.
quiet1one1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 2:14 PM   #6
Established Member

Ard.. you are not even wanting to read my posts because you are still in denial about your wife. You need to find some mental help for yourself. Stop romanticizing the past and start working on yourself. Don't analyze her or try to fix her. You can't. It is an awful thing you are going through but until let go of that need on wanting to fix her you will continue to feel worse.

Next time you talk to her, tell her the only way that you would even remotely think about getting the relationship back together is if she goes to a psychologist with the understanding that she is there to fix what is wrong with herself and that you will be doing the same. She needs to be there for the long-term.
jmargel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 2:43 PM   #7
Former Member

Not unless you consider bieng Selfish a mental illness.

I see most cheaters as self centered people who either dont care about the consequences or think they will get away with it. I'm speaking primarily about cake eaters here.

Sometimes people use affairs to exit a relationship they are not happy in, these people lack integrity and stregth of character.
Cobra_X30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 4:26 PM   #8
Established Member

I think cheating is mostly a result of being selfish, of not thinking of anyone or anything other than your own needs and wants. For some people that degree of selfishness is rooted in mental illness, but not for all. For some people that selfishness is a result of how they were raised, attitudes and behaviors they were exposed to, and especially of how and whether they ever faced consequences for misbehaving. For other people that selfishness is somehow part of their personality and they can't change. But no, I don't think mental illness is a cause of all cheating, just some.

"When you're going through Hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
Lynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 5:46 PM   #9
Established Member

We are one of those couples with a seemingly perfect marriage. Perhaps womanzing is a mental illness I don't know. But it has nothing to do with me or the marriage. He cheats because he craves reassurance. That I love and adore him was never enough. That he stood to lose me and harm his children wasn't something he really considered. Is that mental Illness? I don't know. I do know that many people in affairs stop thinking logically. In the chicken/egg argument I would say that for the average person, the "mental illness" happens as a condition of the affair not a precursor.
East of Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 5:54 PM   #10
Established Member

one good solution is to not get married.

- Tony Montana (Scarface)
alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 6:24 PM   #11
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Extreme selfishness is a mental disorder. It's called Narcisstic Personality Disorder ("NPD") and yes, this can lead to infidelity. My ex-H had NPD.
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 9:28 PM   #12

No offense, but a lot of people who had bad marriages that ended in divorce told me their therapist said their expartners had a classic case of NPD. I don't really think it's a legitimate mental disorder, perse. It does help people feel better when professionals tell them this about their exes who treated them like crap, so I don't mind it really.
Hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 9:51 PM   #13
Established Member

I think psychology really do more harm than good when it trys to remove person's responsibility and guilty from their own choices.

We all have spiritual battle each day, flesh win or spirit win, selfishness win or selfishless win, it is our choices, our responsibilities, not some mental illness
lonelybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 9:53 PM   #14
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
No offense but when his therapist tells him he has NPD, I tend to believe a professional over an internet person.
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 10:00 PM   #15
Established Member

So NPD really are ultimate selfish person who only think of themselves, they are guided by flesh only, they really need spiritual treatment
lonelybird is offline   Reply With Quote