Hubby works nights wont change shifts

Help,

My husband has always worked night jobs ever since I met him. Well we have been married 9 years now. My kids (previous marriage) are all grown and only one lives at home and he's mostly not home. I've been asking my husband for years to apply for a shift change where he works and he always tells me that he is on the waiting list which is years long. I dont know if I even believe him when he tells me he is on the list. He works a very high stress job at a prison and I understand that the night shift is probably calmer and less risky. I also know that he could not make the money he makes there anywhere else. But as I get older, and I am home alone at night, I am not only bored, sometimes I'm afraid. I have dogs and cats and my life is spent with them most of the time...lol. I think I'm going through my mid-life crisis. I'm 45 and wondering if this is all I have to look forward to, endless nights home alone. I get to retire much sooner than he does, then what?

I feel guilty some times because I should just be happy that I am married to a good man, who has a good job. I work too, days, so we only spend time together on his days off if they fall on the weekend.

I dont know how else to approach the situation. Guess I just wanted mostly to vent about it. Because there isn't much I can do.

Rose:(