sad cancelling tonight's date with husband

Boo. I'm whining & I know it.

DH & I were supposed to go out tonight for our Valentine's date to a lovely upscale restaurant. As I sit here, the sky is getting greyer & the temperature colder. We're supposed to get 3 - 6 inches of snow.

The plan had been to drive there, have dinner & a few glasses of wine, then take an Uber / Lyft home. There aren't many around so it's not that easy to schedule. With the snow I don't want to risk getting stranded with no way home. I would rather reschedule then skip the wine to be safe driving home. In the snow on the treacherous roads around here even 1 drink would be too much. Yes, I realize I am making a choice. I also know it's the responsible thing to do but I'm disappointed.

So . . . . I'm sulking. I was really looking forward to romance.

I'll now throw something together for dinner but even candlelight in our dining room won't compare to this chef.

So . . . . boo.

Oh don't bother going out on Valentine's Day with overpriced rubbish and crowded restaurants. Do it another day and enjoy it properly instead. Or go away for a romantic weekend.

CautiouslyOptimistic
I've seen you abbreviate your husband as "DH". What does that stand for?

Dear Husband.

Sorry, DV :(. That sucks :(.

• Like 1
  • Author
Oh don't bother going out on Valentine's Day with overpriced rubbish and crowded restaurants. Do it another day and enjoy it properly instead. Or go away for a romantic weekend.

Davey

Valentine's Day was this past Wednesday. Tonight was the "other day" rather then venturing out on the Hallmark holiday itself.

We have a lovely romantic weekend with an extraordinary dinner already planned for next weekend.

I'm just disappointed that my lovely romantic evening out tonight that I had been looking forward to for about a month is now cancelled because of the snow. Now we're going to have meatloaf since the ground meat is what I think I can defrost in a hurry. I didn't take anything out of the freezer this morning since I though we were not eating at home.

Since I initially posted, it really started coming down. I ran out of the house to get wine & the roads are already covered.

Now instead of happily anticipating DH's arrival home in advance of our date, I'm sitting here worrying about his safety as he drives 35 miles home from work in slippery conditions with poor visability. :(

CautiouslyOptimistic
Davey

Valentine's Day was this past Wednesday. Tonight was the "other day" rather then venturing out on the Hallmark holiday itself.

We have a lovely romantic weekend with an extraordinary dinner already planned for next weekend.

I'm just disappointed that my lovely romantic evening out tonight that I had been looking forward to for about a month is now cancelled because of the snow. Now we're going to have meatloaf since the ground meat is what I think I can defrost in a hurry. I didn't take anything out of the freezer this morning since I though we were not eating at home.

Since I initially posted, it really started coming down. I ran out of the house to get wine & the roads are already covered.

Now instead of happily anticipating DH's arrival home in advance of our date, I'm sitting here worrying about his safety as he drives 35 miles home from work in slippery conditions with poor visability. :(

Call a nice pasta place for takeout and have him pick it up on his way home?

Start a new tradition tonight?

• Author

I won't pay for take out pasta on principle. I'm cheap. $12 - $19 per portion for something that I can make 4 servings of for less than $5. No thanks.

Making dinner isn't the issue. We eat out a lot. It's just that this particular restaurant was to be a treat. We could walk to another more local place if it was that important to go out. For me it was about going out to that restaurant. We'd been talking about this date since Christmas so I'm disappointed.

I'll get over it but I'm going to wine to LS so it's all out of my system. That way when he gets here all safe & sound but stressed out from his treacherous drive I can be happy, perky & welcoming. I actually ran out earlier to get him a 12 pack of his favorite beer.

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic
I won't pay for take out pasta on principle. I'm cheap. $12 - $19 per portion for something that I can make 4 servings of for less than $5. No thanks.

Making dinner isn't the issue. We eat out a lot. It's just that this particular restaurant was to be a treat. We could walk to another more local place if it was that important to go out. For me it was about going out to that restaurant. We'd been talking about this date since Christmas so I'm disappointed.

I'll get over it but I'm going to wine to LS so it's all out of my system. That way when he gets here all safe & sound but stressed out from his treacherous drive I can be happy, perky & welcoming. I actually ran out earlier to get him a 12 pack of his favorite beer.

Whine away!!! :) I'd be disappointed too.

On the pasta note, there's a place less than a mile from me that has the best pasta and one serving could serve a family of four. The salad is huge too and the garlic bread is enough for a whole family. All for under $20 so it's a great deal. My mouth is watering. If I wasn't still in my PJs I'd run out and get myself some for dinner. I suppose I'm better off with the spaghetti squash "spaghetti" I had planned.

I get it! Go ahead and whine and then maybe do a little more wining (as in have a drink). When you plan for a night out, it’s about the whole event. It’s a little “mini vacation” and while doing the right thing is staying home, it still sucks.

If it makes you feel any better, you have convinced me that hubby and I need a romantic night away. I think I am going to plan one for next weekend.

When he gets home, give him a drink, let him go take a shower,’put some

Music on and have some fun prepping and making your meal together. That’s what I am planning on tonight. The music and doing it together make it feel a lot less mundane.

Hugs, GG

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you ladies. You understand

DH made it home safely. Poor thing he came in so worried that I was disappointed. He was offering to go, not drink & drive our SUV in the snow. He looked so relieved that I cancelled the reservation.

Cautiously Optimistic, I will PM you an awesome recipe for spaghetti squash. It has bacon!

Cullenbohannon

We spend time in the mountains sking/snowboarding. On several occasions we have decided to skip the long haul back down due to the weather/roads. If you have a big SUV, You could always pile a bunch of blankets, a blow up and some comforters in the back. Sleeping in the back of a truck may seem high school, but the combination of cold and tight quarters can make for some really good talks, snuggles and etc. Not for everyone, but if you throw in a little music, it could be quite romantic.

Plan it for another day when the weather is better. Pretend its Valentines Day. Its your date, you can make it be anything you want.

• Like 1
  • Author

So we had our date last night, Sunday, & it was fun. I think we're going to go back to that restaurant next month for my birthday.

Thank you all for letting me whine.

Sorry to hear that d0nnivain!

At least it was just Valentines Day though... you REALLY don't want to hear about what happened to us on our proposal evening!!! :mad::(:laugh:

• Author
At least it was just Valentines Day though... you REALLY don't want to hear about what happened to us on our proposal evening!!! :mad::(:laugh:

So now I totally do. We have a Story from that night too & now it's funny. So do tell. What happened on your proposal evening?

So now I totally do. We have a Story from that night too & now it's funny. So do tell. What happened on your proposal evening?

We, uh, unwittingly got in a bit of trouble with a cop (we didn't realize that we'd broken a law), so we had to cut our evening short and go home. :o:(

Do tell!

• Author

Ours wasn't quite so exciting. Everyone in the restaurant knew he was planning to propose except me. My meal was awful, so they were making me something else & plying me with appetizers & champagne while we waited. When the waitress brought out my dessert that I hadn't ordered, under a dome no less, I tried to send it back thinking I was stuffed & didn't want chocolate. She was aghast. Between the panicky looks she & my now husband were shooting back & forth I finally realized there was something other than pastry under that dome.

• Like 1
Ours wasn't quite so exciting. Everyone in the restaurant knew he was planning to propose except me. My meal was awful, so they were making me something else & plying me with appetizers & champagne while we waited. When the waitress brought out my dessert that I hadn't ordered, under a dome no less, I tried to send it back thinking I was stuffed & didn't want chocolate. She was aghast. Between the panicky looks she & my now husband were shooting back & forth I finally realized there was something other than pastry under that dome.

Haha, that is so sweet!! :love:

Ours was memorable, but man, it sucked being made to go home when there was a whole evening planned!! :laugh:

• Like 1