Husband wants a baby... now?

I definitely have baby fever. I wanted a baby since yesterday. Apparently my husband does too.

We've been married since 2014. Our whole relationship, we've always talked about buying our first home before we had a baby. We're renting right now, and my brother and his uncle also live with us. It's tight. Well, we will be ready to expand and buy our first home in approx. 6 months. We will be homeowners in 8 months from now.

So the other night when we were driving home from work I was being silly, talking about our fur babies (dogs). We call each other mommy and daddy when we talk to our dogs. Weird? Anyway, we were talking about our dogs and my husband randomly tells me "I know that we need to wait to buy a house and everything, but I want a baby. I WANT A BABY" like he was looking for some kind of reaction from me. I was shook. We've never talked about it like that before. Hell, he's never straight out told me he was ready for a baby. So being shook and awkward as I am, I told him, "UHH.. I thought we were going to buy a house first?" It was light talk.. the topic didn't last long because we were in our driveway at that point and I think the subject got changed. This was about a week ago and we haven't talked about it since. I don't know how to bring it up. I'm awkward. But one thing's for certain.. I regret my reply to him.. I wish I would have said.. "oh okay so lets try tonight then!" haha.. anyway...

Obviously I should be talking with him about this, but how should I bring it up to him, non-awkwardly? I don't know if he literally wants to start trying now because, he wants a baby.. or if he still wants to wait until we buy a house first... which was the original plan... All I know is that I cannot wait until I start a family with the man of my dreams.

• Like 2
Happy Lemming

Here's a suggestion...

Go house shopping (open houses) and while walking through the houses point out which bedroom might make a good nursery. Gauge his reaction and see what he says. You don't have to buy any house until you are truly ready, but it might get the "baby" subject back to the forefront. Moreover it doesn't hurt to do a lot of research before you buy.

Personally, I was flipping a house that had a very small 3rd bedroom, so I painted it baby yellow and put in baby yellow carpet. I built some inset shelves which I stocked with diapers. I staged it with a crib I borrowed from a friend and some stuffed animals. Sure enough, one woman turned to her husband and said "Look this house is already set up for a nursery, I want it."

Best of luck....

• Like 2
  • Author
Here's a suggestion...

Go house shopping (open houses) and while walking through the houses point out which bedroom might make a good nursery. Gauge his reaction and see what he says. You don't have to buy any house until you are truly ready, but it might get the "baby" subject back to the forefront. Moreover it doesn't hurt to do a lot of research before you buy.

Personally, I was flipping a house that had a very small 3rd bedroom, so I painted it baby yellow and put in baby yellow carpet. I built some inset shelves which I stocked with diapers. I staged it with a crib I borrowed from a friend and some stuffed animals. Sure enough, one woman turned to her husband and said "Look this house is already set up for a nursery, I want it."

Best of luck....

That's an awesome idea! And actually, I am a Real Estate agent.. so we can literally go look at houses anytime. I think we might just do that. There's a couple of homes that I am eyeing at the moment (hoping they will still be available in nearly 6 months when we are ready for our pre-approval, but I doubt it in our crazy market).

• Like 2
Happy Lemming
That's an awesome idea! And actually, I am a Real Estate agent.. so we can literally go look at houses anytime.

Glad to help...

Best of luck!!

Jeez. then do it already. Life with kids is most assuredly not controlled and orderly at all times like it sounds like your trying to do. I had my fist kid in an apartment for 3 months, now 20 yrs, 3 kids and 6 houses later( a current one and a vacation home), there is no looking back. Go for it.

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic

I say start trying now With any luck, you'll deliver just when you're supposed to move and won't have to do any of the moving ;). (This happened to a friend of mine....she was in the hospital on moving day and got out of all of it lol)

Good luck!

I don't get why you feel so hesitant to have a talk with your husband about what he said. What's so hard about saying "hey I was thinking about what you said about wanting a baby the other night. Did you mean you want us to start trying now?" Or whatever variation of that. Why are you so nervous about an easy discussion?

• Like 5
lucy_in_disguise

I like the house shopping suggestion. Alternately, just bring it up while you're at home alone relaxing together. It doesn't need to be some long planned discussion, just tell him you want his babies and see where the convo takes you.

I can totally relate to your awkwardness around this topic, I think as a woman I have been conditioned to avoid appearing like I am baby-crazy and it's a hard subject for me to broad even now in my thirties- but you are married and by all indications your husband loves you and is on the same page. So don't be afraid! The more discussion you are able to have together now, the more prepared you'll be to navigate parenthood together once it happens.

If, besides the house, you feel ready, I would start trying now. It could take a few months (if not longer) to get pregnant, then 9 more months for the baby to cook. So you're looking at 9 months to a year+ until you're parents... Plenty of time to buy a house and get settled in based on where you are now. And if, God forbid, you start trying and nothing happens, youll have a head start on any medical help you may need.

• Like 1
Bittersweetie

When my H and I decided to try for a baby, I made an appointment with my OBGYN to talk about preparing to get pregnant (I was on the older side). Maybe you could try that tactic? Say to your H, I think I'm going to make an appointment to talk about if there's any vitamins I should take or anything I could do to be healthier. Then he could always say, why don't you wait, or if he says sure, then you can talk more after the appointment. As for trying...I think it really varies how long it takes people to get pregnant...you can't really know. It took me three months, my ILs almost two years. So if you're both ready, you might as well start! GL!

• Like 1