Joblessness affecting marriage

I know some friends and family members saying losing a job is a big Nono in a marriage. They either find another job or never get in trouble in the first place. Mostly they're afraid of their wife leaving them, so guys dread it. So ladies do you agree/experience with this?

*edit meant job loss. I hate this spell checker

Edited by FastHands

When my husband lost his job I was stressed. We talked about it. We made a budget. He collected unemployment & set out to get a new job.

Like any stressful situation, it's all how you handle it. Open communication about your fears should bring you closer.

• Like 1
Cullenbohannon

My Fiance losing his job would be a problem, but a manageable one.

My Fiance sitting on the couch, drinking, playing video games and complaining about it, would affect our marriage in a unmanageable way.

ps. My Fiance enjoys his beer, but rarely drinks and does not play video games.

Depends on the partners, demographics and generations. A job loss for a man in my generation was generally abject failure, regardless of ability to provide from savings for a rainy day. Women feel how they feel and were socialized to feel and for many a man's job defines who he is to them.

I saw it most markedly during the years I was dating and didn't have a quantifiable job that they could examine, rather ran a trade business, say compared to my father who was a lifer in a government job. His job was easily quantified and segregated as to value. Mine not so much.

When I cut back while caregiving, yup my exW didn't like that lifestyle adjustment, having to be more frugal. Now she's in the same boat with her mother but yup she got her new guy to help out. Women are smart that way. Best thing to do is learn from them, accept them as they are and make healthy decisions about any partnerships with them.

• Like 1

Losing a job and having to live on savings or unemployment for a few months or is would be one thing. Losing a job and making being unemployed a lifestyle is something else.

• Like 3
  • Author

Ty for the responses. I guess my friends and family are paranoid of losing the job, because of the fear of their spouse. I guess they also have a big incentive to keep the norm going because the marriage lifestyle is - mng intimate, go to work, come back to intimate, go to sleep and repeat the process. Lol I guess that's why married people are content.

I am married. I have an extremely stable career, been with the same company for 15 years, regularly get raises and promotions - I am also the main bread winner.

My husband works in much more volatile industries and has been laid off before.... Most recently last month!

It doesn't affect our marriage.

He is looking, been interviewing, has leads. I am encouraging him to find the best offer / fit and not take some of the offers he has received.

I think it would suck to have to worry if the love of your life, your life partner would dump you if you got laid off. I certainly have never worried about him walking out on me if I was let go.

Like others have said - getting laid off and not attempting to find something new is one thing - but in today's world, lay offs are a part of life, and I wouldn't punish my partner for it.

• Like 2