Trouble in Paradise

I had an interesting time yesterday. I was invited over a friend's (I'll call them Tim and Mary) house for dinner and to celebrate the 4th with their family. Along with myself, another old friend of the family, lets call him Bob, was invited. Now it is general knowledge that Mary and Bob had dated before Tim came on the scene. They, Mary and Bob, were reminiscing about some of their exploits in the 'good old days'. Tim was getting visibly upset, and I was trying to come up with a nice way to change the subject when Tim said "Yes, Mary never lets me forget how much fun you both had before I tied her down and made her respectable." He turns to his wife and says, "If life is so boring being the wife of a rich man, you can run off with him right now. I wont stop you. But the kids stay here. Just remember if it doesn't work out, don't come back here because I'll kill you." No one said a word, and Mary turned beet red. Then Tim got up and excused himself to "Take a crap - but do keep enjoying the festivities, my friends."

Let's just say the damper was put on things really good, and within the hour the evening was over. Weirdest 4th I had been to in years, but I think the fireworks didn't really start until we had left... I have some er, colorful friends, to put it mildly.:rolleyes:

TrustedthenBusted

Lol. Sounds like Mary might get her meal ticket pulled.

• Like 3
Let's just say the damper was put on things really good, and within the hour the evening was over. Weirdest 4th I had been to in years, but I think the fireworks didn't really start until we had left... I have some er, colorful friends, to put it mildly.:rolleyes:

How much alcohol was involved for the various participants?

Mr. Lucky

• Author
How much alcohol was involved for the various participants?

Mr. Lucky

What I saw wasn't alcohol fueled. It had the feel of a soap opera...and I came in at mid-plot... I'm wondering if I should bring it up to Tim next time I see him or just leave it alone?

Another flawless gem of an example why there must be NC between ex's.

OP, please keep us up to date.

• Like 1
I'm wondering if I should bring it up to Tim next time I see him or just leave it alone?

It depends on the type of friend he is. I might simply say something neutral like "interesting night" and let him take it from there...

Mr. Lucky

They, Mary and Bob, were reminiscing about some of their exploits in the 'good old days'. Tim was getting visibly upset, and I was trying to come up with a nice way to change the subject when Tim said "Yes, Mary never lets me forget how much fun you both had before I tied her down and made her respectable."

How disrespectful and insulting she (and others) were to this man - her husband and father to her children.

Sounds like some boundaries need to be set, and perhaps some therapy.

• Like 1
How disrespectful and insulting she (and others) were to this man - her husband and father to her children.

Sounds like some boundaries need to be set, and perhaps some therapy.

And by therapy I hope you mean a postnuptual agreement with an infidelity clause. If she's gonna bring it up in person in front of her husband, my bet is they're already escapades going on. TBH, she doesn't sound very bright.

• Like 2

OP, please keep us up to date.

This.

Love to be a fly on the wall when everyone left.

And this, too.

TrustedthenBusted

I don't necessarily agree with this. I just think this is a flawless example of how some people are inconsiderate, selfish, rude and childish.

I have no problem with my wife being at a party with a former boyfriend or something like that. That's life, and it happens.

Same way I expect my wife to be normal if we are somewhere, and an old flame walks in. I'd give that gal a hug, tell her it's great to see her, and get an update. But all totally respectful.

• Author

Just thought I'd post a quick update. Nothing much has changed. I saw Tim today, and everything seems normal at least on the surface - no one's been killed yet :D He didn't bring up the incident, and I figure in this case silence is the best option, so neither did I.

I don't see how this marriage can survive the year without a lot of rugsweeping.

Between the wife taunting her husband with her ex and the husband issuing death threats before witnesses, this is all going to end badly... it's like a very bad B-movie scenario.